Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Newbie with questions

Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Cummins is on a distinguished road
Name: Robert
Cummins's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie with questions

Hello all I just bought my first tacoma yesturday. It is an 05 DoubleCab SR5 TRD auto v6 4x4. I got a good price and a small powertrain warrenty but I have noticed a whining noise from the front end sounds like. It speeds up and slows down but will stop when turning left.?.? I am new to these truck any help would be great.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 09-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! Check the power steering fluid, and make sure its at the correct level.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Cummins's Tacoma Gallery
Power Steering fluid was a little low but added some and noise is still there.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Check your belt?
Old 09-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Cummins's Tacoma Gallery
Okay I will take a look at it.
Thanks for everyones help and loving the site and the new truck.

Robert
Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
supadave888 is on a distinguished road

supadave888's Tacoma Gallery
yea i had the squeling noise from my belt so i figured i would try some belt dressing but please do not use belt dressing on our belts cause it started screaming and only got louder as you speed up.. i had to put break fluid on the belt a lil bit at a time untill it quit...
Old 09-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
LOL...sorry pouring brake fluid on a spinning belt that can sling it all over the place..sounds like a nice idea...
Old 09-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Cummins's Tacoma Gallery
I will try it tomorrow and see how it works. Hopfully it will take care of the problem.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
michaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant future

michaelg589's Tacoma Gallery
Brake fluids eat away plastics and paint. FYI
Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Cummins's Tacoma Gallery
oh well better just buy another belt. thanks for the info.

Robert
Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Can't help with the odd sound but welcome to TW.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 AM   #12
Cummins's Tacoma Gallery
If it was the belt shouldn't it be doing it while idleing or reving up the motor not just driving down the road.?.?.?

thanks,
Robert
Old 09-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
Thermonuclear Protection
478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

478DblSport's Tacoma Gallery
I had a '93 Nissan truck that would squeal like a stuck pig when the A/C compressor kicked in. I'd adjust the belt tensioner and it'd go away for a month or so then come back. Eventually adjusting the tensioner wouldn't help so I'd change the belt and everything would be fine for a year or so then it'd go back to squealing again...
Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
Her Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Her Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Another new member with a question, I just upgraded my 99 to a 06 double cab, does anyone know how large of a tire I can go without doing any mods or any rubbing, I'm looking at 31 1/2 bfg all terrains, any info would be great............ thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
krans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud of

Name: Kenny
krans's Tacoma Gallery
x2 On power steering

Might be some air in your power steering system if the whining noise stops when turing. Try using a stethoscope to diagnose.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #16
Cummins's Tacoma Gallery
It only stops when turning left still whines turning right.
Thanks for all the response.

Robert
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #17
They are more like guide lines.
sloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nice

sloppyjoe's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful, this happened to me in a way. I got a new to me Tacoma (one owner very nice) that ran and drove great but I took it to Indy and the front diff carrier bearing failed on the drivers side. I would check to make sure all of your fluids in the front are where they need to be, if they are then pull your boots back and make sure there is proper grease on the CV joints. I would be careful with these trucks when it comes to sound coming from the front end. It has cost me a pretty penny to get back in order. I had the new carrier ($650) which comes with all new spider gears and bearings, and while we had the diff out the Actuator went out as well, which we did not know until we got the whole front diff back in and triple checked everything, but as soon as we started it the light was flashing and we could not get it to function again. So we took it all apart again to make sure it was not installed wrong (it was in the right way). I am currently waiting on the funds for a functioning actuator so I have 4x4 again. But yea it can be a bad day if you have a front whine or sound, and it may be as simple as the power steering is low or fluid low in something, just dont take it for granted, or it CAN bite you. Good Luck JOE>
Old 09-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #18
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Tacoma View Post
Another new member with a question, I just upgraded my 99 to a 06 double cab, does anyone know how large of a tire I can go without doing any mods or any rubbing, I'm looking at 31 1/2 bfg all terrains, any info would be great............ thanks
check out goodyear Duratracs
265/75R16 or R17 depending on your rim

< - check out my photos for some pics
Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #19
Cummins's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. I will probably end up taking it to toyota stealership. I have a warranty with the truck for the power train and 4x4 system. I would hate for it to be the front diff and not find out until this winter when I need 4x4.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 09-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #20
supadave888 is on a distinguished road

supadave888's Tacoma Gallery
well i did like the guy said and it worked.. just kill the engine and put a few drops then start it and let it run for a bit the kill it and put a few more drops and then drive it till it quits lol..