1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

---> noobie here ---My first truck in 2009 ? ... need advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NiceGuyEddie, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Jul 14, 2008 at 9:57 AM
    NiceGuyEddie

NiceGuyEddie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    hello everyone:

i have been driving my 1991 Integra for 18 years now, and i would like to purchase a Tacoma in January 2009. hopefully, there will be zero interest deals in January. i also need to wait until January for tax purposes regarding my small business.

anyway, the application is general transportation in SoCal, and also schlepping stuff around - i do a little carpentry work on the side, and i am always fixing up my own house. i do not plan to do any off-roading, hauling bricks, or towing, nor do not have tons of cash for a 4x4 with a lift and 1.21 Jiggawatt stereo.

i just finished building a Cobra kit car. for those that want to hiss, a kit car ain't like building something from IKEA, and i did all the work myself, including the engine. so it's safe to assume i can dress up my Tacoma with bolt-ons and ???

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179874

wish list:

a) i want a manual transmission. i do not drive vehicles with automatics.

b) i want the extended cab model

c) i want a 4-cylinder engine. i learned that the 6 cylinder engine uses a newer technology and gets gas mileage comparable to the 4-cylinder engine, but all the MPG ratings are B.S. you may know already, but the highway ratings are still taken at 55mph on a flat level surface. as the speed increases, so dwindles the gas mileage, thus widening the gap between the 4 & 6 cylinder fuel efficiency. but maybe that's a post for another day.

here are the questions i have:

1. if you go to "build your own" on the Toyota website, you can no longer choose the following combo:
    a) extended cab
    b) 4-cylinder engine
    c) manual transmission
    d) Pre-runner SR5 or Non-Pre-runner "raised" body style.

only the base model comes up, OR they make you swich to standard cab. does anyone know if this is due to current 2008 availiablilty, or will Toyota no longer offer what i want?

2. if for some reason i have to cut corners and buy a base-model (the lower style) Tacoma, is there a source to purchase things to make it like a sport truck? those base model Tacomas look just awful.

3. what else can be done with the base model? where can i find photos of the base model with some nice wheels and other bolt-on mods?

2. Jul 17, 2008 at 12:30 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Welcome to Tacoma World!

I would use Edmunds.com or carsdirect.com to select your options. Also these sites will show if there is a rebate or good finance terms. They also will give you the TMV (True market value) = What others are paying for this vehicle.

Good luck!
    Sean

3. Jul 17, 2008 at 3:00 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I wouldn't consider Toyota's website a reliable source for building a truck. It's probably not all that updated and sometimes confusing.

If the gang doesn't answer your questions here, you're better off going to the dealer and talking to someone there.

4. Jul 17, 2008 at 4:53 AM
    Angus_NB

Angus_NB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverview, NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tundra DC SR5 4x4
    The kit car looks great. Nice to see you used a Ford engine in a Ford replica. Good plates too, I8A RAT. At first I thought it read, IBA RAT, which was confusing.

5. Jul 17, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    The Toyota website bases what you can build off of your region data. Changing regions changes what you have available. For example, try using your California zip code, then type in an Oregon zip code (such as 97123). You will get different build options.

6. Jul 17, 2008 at 10:19 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Dat cobra is badass. How much dit it cost? I've always been interested in building one of those, but have no idea on the cost.

7. Jul 17, 2008 at 10:22 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Rep for the hot chick in the Cobra!

8. Sep 29, 2008 at 2:34 PM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    allright guys... thanks for the compliment on my Cobra Kit car. it cost me $32,000 - my entire life savings but worth every penny. that's with a show-quality paint job and everything newt.. in a sense, it's my first and only new car. i get 17mpg and it runs in the 11's... you can go faster, but of course, it's more money.

okay it looks like Toyota has updated their website and will indeed offer a 2wd extended cab pickup in 2009.

next question:

can you really "build your own" and get that truck?

9. Sep 29, 2008 at 2:37 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    man if i was you i would hold off on this economy and see how things come and go. We are screwed right now with everything thats been going on in the news. but hey go for it

10. Sep 29, 2008 at 2:46 PM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    hi, i actually plan to take advantage of the "bad economy"... i am hoping there will be deals in January.

i work with the supermarket industry, and believe it or not, the worse the economy, the better ths supermarkets do because people don't eat out as much.

Products Discussed in

To Top