Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2007 4WD 2.7 5-Speed - Any issues?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
BarkSlayer is on a distinguished road

Name: Jim
BarkSlayer's Tacoma Gallery
2007 4WD 2.7 5-Speed - Any issues?

I'm looking to buy a 4WD 2007 Tacoma Access Cab with the 2.7 liter four banger and 5-speed manual transmission. Are there any issues I should look for - frame rusting, clutch or drivetrain, etc. on this one? The truck has 57K miles and appears to be in perfect condition by all outward measures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2007 access cab v6 6-speed, i couldn't be happier
Old 09-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2.7 5 speed, only minor issue:

Wind noise from the windshield when there is a cross wind at 70 mph.

Other than that I'm very happy.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
on my 2009 I had to change the throw out bearing (covered by warranty)
Old 09-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i have a little bit of a rusty frame but its nothing to be worried about. just go about buying and researching it just like anything else. pay attention to detail, make sure they have all their records and since its 4x4 make sure the 4x4 works and engages
Old 09-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I have the same exact thing but 06 and so far no problems. My Maintenence Required light just popped on so I gotta go get it checked out but I haven't had any problems.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
The Wombat is on a distinguished road
The Wombat's Tacoma Gallery
i've got the same thing in an '09, love it. no problems, other than the rear suspension tsb.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
The 6-speed guys have an aluminum pilot shaft in their bell housings and have problems when their throw-out bearings wear out as a result.

The 5-speed does not have this problem. Rock solid, I've never had a problem with mine.

You might not like how pokey a big 4wd truck with a 4-banger is on the highway though, so definitely test drive it. In exchange for slow speeds you seem to get near-indestructibility though!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I have the same exact thing but 06 and so far no problems. My Maintenence Required light just popped on so I gotta go get it checked out but I haven't had any problems.
you need an oil change (or whoever changed it last time didn't reset the light) , check in your owners manual to get intructions to reset, or the instructions are around here somewhere.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
The 2.7 5-speed is pretty much bulletproof.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
WV4x4 is on a distinguished road
WV4x4's Tacoma Gallery
absolutly love mine bigger truck feel with with good fuel mileage
Old 10-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
erythang is on a distinguished road
erythang's Tacoma Gallery
3rd gear in the 2.7l is fine for speeding up for freeways, 4th works too. for me it went like this: test drive the 6 speed, realize how little u need the 6th gear and bring that same mentality to the 5 speed manual.