Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD exhaust install question

Old 09-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
jareebz is on a distinguished road
Navy: PO1, USN
jareebz's Tacoma Gallery
TRD exhaust install question

Do I need to use any sort of sealant or anything when I put the new exhaust on? I was going to pay 80 bucks for the dealer to put it on, but after reading how easy it is, I think I'm just going to do it myself.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Nope. Just bolt it on. Any gaskets should be included unless it says to use the old ones.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Nope. Just bolt it on. ANy gaskets should be included unless it says to use the old ones.
I wouldn't re-use exhaust gaskets. I bet the TRD exhaust came with new gaskets...
Old 09-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
jareebz is on a distinguished road
Navy: PO1, USN
jareebz's Tacoma Gallery
It didn't come with any instructions/gaskets/box or anything. The place I ordered it from wrapped the tip and slapped the fedex label right on the muffler. I'm just trying to find out if I need to stop and pick anything up before I take the stock muffler off.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jareebz View Post
It didn't come with any instructions/gaskets/box or anything. The place I ordered it from wrapped the tip and slapped the fedex label right on the muffler. I'm just trying to find out if I need to stop and pick anything up before I take the stock muffler off.
I would definitely get new exhaust gaskets. You can re-use exhaust gaskets, however they might end up leaking. Exhaust leaks will make your TRD exhaust sound like crap. If you spend the money on TRD exhaust, I would highly suggest getting new exhaust gaskets...
Old 09-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Get an OEM gasket and some copper RTV. Use a thin layer of Copper RTV on the gasket surfaces, and connect the exhaust.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Check out the muffler for dings or anything.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
being yours is a 2010,i would just bolt it on.thats what i did with my 09
Old 09-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
jbone is on a distinguished road

Name: Jack
jbone's Tacoma Gallery
I just put my TRD exhaust on myself about a month ago. I didn't get a new gasket and the old one seems to work fine for now, no leaks.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
being yours is a 2010,i would just bolt it on.thats what i did with my 09
You should still use a new gasket. The flange on teh exhaust has some texturing on it, and it will be a little different from the stock exhaust to the TRD. Just because it seals up for the time being, doesnt mean leaks wont develop later. Like mentioned above, you spent the extra cash on the TRD exhaust, take a few bucks and get a new gasket.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
Gene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
A new gasket sounds like a good idea. I re-used the original one on the truck and haven't had any issues...there were only a few thousand miles on it at the time.
I installed mine in the driveway; it was a snap.
I jacked up the passenger side, letting the rear axle hang and did the swap. I left the wrapping on the tip so not to scratch it.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck is new enough you shouldn't need a new gasket. When I bought my truck back in 06 I put the TRD exhaust on before 1k and it was a simple bolt on. I didn't buy a new gasket or anything. I now have 70k and haven't had any problems. Its def worth saving yourself the $80.00 and doing it yourself.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jareebz View Post
Do I need to use any sort of sealant or anything when I put the new exhaust on? I was going to pay 80 bucks for the dealer to put it on, but after reading how easy it is, I think I'm just going to do it myself.
I bought mine from the dealer, no instuctions, no new gasket. Just removed the stock one and installed the new, no problems. It took me a couple of hours total. My truck is a 2010 and gasket was fine. Leave the tip wrapped while you install so you don't scratch up.
Bob