1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

does it make a bit of difference?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by comajoe, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sep 23, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    comajoe

comajoe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    rougemont, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma sr5
    i need to change the plugs on my 06 taco V6. i went to advance, got denso plugs PKH20TT which are platinum. i double checked and did a search to see if there was any headsup on changing the plugs since it seemed to me to be pretty straight forward. the platinums were the only ones listed at advance auto besides the highdollar iridums. mine didnt come with a manual so.....the part# yall are pushing must be copper plugs so techinacally i'm should be OK since the platinums should just last alittle longer....right?

2. Sep 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    If it is a compatible part number, then you'll be fine.

3. Sep 23, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    comajoe

Member:
    rougemont, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma sr5
    thanks. the number being listed here is about a hour drive from me and i dreaded going into the city and that damn traffic:mad: yea i like it in the sticks:D

4. Sep 24, 2010 at 4:40 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    What number are you referring to? Is it an E3 brand number or something? I'm only familiar with the iridium plugs (denso). IMO, the biggest benefit from iridium plugs is longer life, resulting in a cleaner spark over its lifetime. Getting a platinum or basic plug is fine, just remember you can't get the same mileage out of it as you can an iridium plug.

There may be other performance gains from using iridium and/or E3 and other strange shaped electrodes, but that's a whole other argument. If you're looking to save a few bucks and not travel into town, you'll be fine with whatever plug is available at the store.

5. Sep 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    comajoe

Member:
    rougemont, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma sr5
    yeah i got the denso platinums, i didnt realize that the plug was in the same "family" as the one listed in the searchs that i did. thanks.

6. Sep 26, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    The stock plugs work the best, iridum on a v6 is actually a performance loss. The stock plugs are also cheap as hell from the dealer, no reason to not use them imo.

7. Oct 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    comajoe

Member:
    rougemont, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma sr5
    well i didnt even use the plugs, i removed the first one to replace and it was a iridum, still gapped correctly. i stuck it back in and went and returned the plugs:)

Products Discussed in

To Top