LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locking Gas Cap

Old 04-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Locking Gas Cap

I have seen, on a number of the older Tacomas, either a locking gas cap or locking fuel door...

The second gen's don't come with this option (er, mine didn't). To make matters worse, when you go to fuel up the cap is connected to a plastic line that makes it dangle against my paint!

My wife's Rav4 has a locking fuel door with a clip on the inside to hold the gas cap away from the rest of the vehicle... seems like I would gladly have spent an extra $50 on my Tacoma to get atleast one of the two.

Reason this comes up - I am in training in League City, TX, and I witnessed some kid trying to syphon fuel out of a truck in the parking garage. I chased him off, but I obviously didn't stand guard.

I think I am going to replace my cap with a locking metal cap. Any suggestions as to a good manufacturer?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed the lack of a locking cap/fuel door as well and was somewhat dissapointed. My other car is a 1990 BMW 325i and the fuel door locks automatically when you lock the rest of the car. Seems like that should be a standard feature. I was also surprised to find that the glove box does not have a lock (at least mine doesn't) This is a problem for me because i sometimes carry a handgun, and in SC it has to be in the glove box or the trunk. I want to be able to to lock the glove box but i don't think thats an option. Anyway, i'm just a little dissapointed about those two features.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I noticed the lack of a locking cap/fuel door as well and was somewhat dissapointed. My other car is a 1990 BMW 325i and the fuel door locks automatically when you lock the rest of the car. Seems like that should be a standard feature. I was also surprised to find that the glove box does not have a lock (at least mine doesn't) This is a problem for me because i sometimes carry a handgun, and in SC it has to be in the glove box or the trunk. I want to be able to to lock the glove box but i don't think thats an option. Anyway, i'm just a little dissapointed about those two features.

OH YEAH! I never thought about that one. This is the first vehicle I have owned that didn't have a locking glove box. Weird. Wife's Rav4 doesn't lock either.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, thats kind of a problem for me. Not something you exactly check for during the test drive, although i don't think it would have changed the outcome of my purchase. But i definately don't like the idea of leaving my gun in an unlocked glove box, even if the rest of the car is locked. Break a window and open the glovebox and you have yourself a gun in under 10 seconds.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Morpheus
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
I think I am going to replace my cap with a locking metal cap. Any suggestions as to a good manufacturer?
The Toyota dealership's here sell a lockable cap. Try to stay with OEM as an poor seal will generate the "Check engine light".
Old 04-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaster View Post
The Toyota dealership's here sell a lockable cap. Try to stay with OEM as an poor seal will generate the "Check engine light".

Good Call! Do you have a part # or price? I guess it would be pretty easy to look up. I will have to do that tonight or when I get bored.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Dust Devil is on a distinguished road
Dust Devil's Tacoma Gallery
Indeed, I would like to get one as well.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Morpheus
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Good Call! Do you have a part # or price? I guess it would be pretty easy to look up. I will have to do that tonight or when I get bored.
Mark, I'm currently out of town. I will walk over to my dealership and get you the info on Monday. In the meantime, work on a 16 ouncer.

Gas siphoning should be the least of your worries. Imagine someone putting sugar into your tank.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaster View Post
Mark, I'm currently out of town. I will walk over to my dealership and get you the info on Monday. In the meantime, work on a 16 ouncer.

Gas siphoning should be the least of your worries. Imagine someone putting sugar into your tank.
HAhaha!!! I was sitting in Saltgrass at lunch eating a 20oz Prime Rib, and thinkin' to myself (I wonder who is gonna win what kind of cut from Mr. Themaster).

Cheers, mate!
Old 04-06-2007, 04:57 AM   #10
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
ndcouch i have a comartment under my center concul thats where i keep my gun
Old 04-06-2007, 05:30 AM   #11

nd's Tacoma Gallery
really, i'll have to check and see if i have anything like that. Although in SC it doesn't matter. In SC the gun has to be in the trunk or the glovebox, or if you have a concealed weapons permit it can be on you. Anything other than those three places it gets confiscated and you get a huge fine.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
cpl1171 is on a distinguished road
cpl1171's Tacoma Gallery
I've been wondering why Toyota missed this. Maybe after a week or 2 I got my truck, I purchased a locking gas cap bc of the ever-increasing price of fuel. I have been researching this and the only solution I could find was to get the locking gas cap.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
midV6size is on a distinguished road
midV6size's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

That's a must have item for me as well. Just hope that they make them!!
Old 04-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #14
small town girl
Skies20 is on a distinguished road

Skies20's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I have wondered in the past why Toyota stopped making the locking fuel door. My last Taco had it--it was a 2000. I always liked it and thought it was a good idea.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #15
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
i to have noticed the lack of security for our expensive gas but i went to autozone they had one for 15 bucks bought it and yeah it worked just fine the light doesnt come on with an error and there no place to put it when you are gasing up so i took the part that connects to the old gas cap i just put it on the new one works fine for me!
Old 04-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #16
evolution6972 is on a distinguished road

evolution6972's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to evolution6972
yea i asked toyota about that and they told me its impossible to siphone gas out of most of the newer cars thought i havent tried cause one time i got a mouth of gas and thought i was going to die but i think i will be considering a locking cap
Old 04-15-2007, 06:50 AM   #17
sak3358 is on a distinguished road

sak3358's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.consolevault.com/

Not the locking gas cap, but if you have valuables that you want to secure in your truck. Or....if you have a weapon you want to secure. I'll eventually get one (I'm on a short leash for buying anything new after getting the truck this week)
Old 04-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #18
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
The tanks are designed to be anti-siphon proof. There is a screen in the filler neck that prevents someone from siphoning your gas. However, I guess if someone was aggressive enough that could puncture the screen. I doubt though a would be criminal would want to bring that additional attention upon themselves. Also, I've experimented with 2 or 3 different brands of locking gas caps and found the locking mechanism to jam or not work at all. Also, as mentioned, I've heard several other TS/TN members complaining of the check engine light coming on with the locking caps. I guess for me the only reason to maybe have one is to prevent someone from pouring a foreign object into the tank.The last and final locking cap I installed, the locking mechanism did jam and it took about 20 minutes to eventually free the cap from the filler tube.

[QUOTE=007Tacoma;8374]Reason this comes up - I am in training in League City, TX, and I witnessed some kid trying to siphon fuel out of a truck in the parking garage. I chased him off, but I obviously didn't stand guard.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #19
Steve762us is on a distinguished road
Steve762us's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman767 View Post
The tanks are designed to be anti-siphon proof. There is a screen in the filler neck that prevents someone from siphoning your gas. However, I guess if someone was aggressive enough that could puncture the screen. I doubt though a would be criminal would want to bring that additional attention upon themselves.
This was probably before your time, but gas prices went wacko (and actual shortages existed, where you were restricted on how much gas you could buy, and even what day you could buy it) in the early 70's. Siphoning was rampant, and people started using locking caps and other measures. The thieves responded by punching holes in fuel tanks, letting the gas drain into containers. When people are sufficiently motivated to steal..they're not too worried about damaging your stuff.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #20
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Actually, without revealing my age, I do remember the Nixon/Ford era as I was pumping gas at my Father's service station. However,I wasn't trying to infer a would be criminal would not destroy your property to gain access to it, thats been proven time after time, but rather my point is most criminals prefer to take the path of least resistance. This would included a vehicle(s)without a screen so they can siphon gas much easier.