1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC vs DC

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TurboGT, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Sep 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT [OP] Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    First off, first time poster, new member, ya de yah....

And I don't have a Taco yet... but hopefully things will change next week.

Have always wanted a Taco, and now it's the only option that I'm looking for. However, my problem is now Access Cab or Double Cab. Most likely, I'm going for a LB DC, but those are hard to find. Well, anything LB seems hard to find in my search area (unless I go for a white one, which I don't want).

My question is more or less directed to anyone that has had an AC and then bought a DC, or vise versa - how much of a difference of legroom in the rear seat is there in an AC compared to a DC? I've got a 9 yr daughter that will be riding back there (and a 5 yr old rottweiler too) and she's only getting bigger.

I'll be getting a canopy for the rotti, but in the event the daughter wants the rotti up front with her, having the rear windows in the DC would be super nice.

Not a big off-roader, but after having gone 6 yrs without my tunes in a car, I'm ready to dust off my old installation tools and break out the fg mat and bondo (used to be an installer for Car Toys - 7 yrs installing). Setup will be something along the lines of:

Diamond Audio S500s 5" Hex series components in custom kicks
    Diamond Audio s600mx3 6" Hex series midbass in front doors (in a fg enclosure)
    Diamond Audio CM361 Coax components in the rear doors
    Diamond Audio S104 Hex sub
    Xtant 604x 75w x 4 ch amp (If I can find one at a reasonable price - the last one I had ran all this gear, slightly different sub, 10 speakers & a massive sub, and tested out at over 900w of power at idle)

HU is up for grabs... May do a simple HU setup with a custom iPod cradle/dock, or may follow in xmadcowx's footsteps with an indash 10" carputer... depends on how generous the government is with my upcoming tax return.

Can't wait to hear from everyone, and if anyone here is from the Portland OR area, would love to meet up and chat Tacos sometime.

Thanks everyone.

2. Sep 25, 2010 at 10:59 PM
    middiedefense

middiedefense like a boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    GA, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab. V6, 6spd, sr5, 4x4, OME 3" kit
    OME 3" Complete kit, TRD O/R Wheels (rattle can flat black), Black Badges, Ultra Gauge
    Alright as far as size is concerned I have a a/c and have fit 4 grown men in it all of Eucharistic complained including my self (had to move my driver seat forward) but it was worth to prevent DUI however the a/c isn't enough leg room for most people. It is enough for me as I have no dependents only a pooch so it works for me. You most likely will prefer the DC

3. Sep 25, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Had a 2001 Xtra Cab (now an access cab becaue of the half doors)... okay for kids to about 10-12 years old... I had two. They didn't like being back there much as they grew... The 2005 was a double cab, it it solved all the room problems... the bed is a foot shorter, but in '05 it got wider and deeper and I could fit everything I needed in it, as I had in the '01's 6 ft. bed. Also, a DC long bed won't fit in my garage.

DC standard bed and you can get the Off Road Pkg. with A-TRAC!

4. Sep 25, 2010 at 11:55 PM
    fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Off Road 4X4
    Stock
    Lots of my buddies have Tacos. Between us, we have all the different configurations, from regular cab 5 luggers to double cab 4x4s. To me, there is a HUGE difference in interior room between the AC and DC. Go check em out at the dealership. In my double cab, I've hauled four big dudes, all of us between 6' and 6'4", in it fairly comfortably. No way in hell you could get all four of us in an AC, unless somebody rode in the bed.

5. Sep 26, 2010 at 1:01 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I moved from a AC to a DC so my son would have more room. Your daughter is 9 now, in a few years she will grow. I would go with the DC, your dog will have more room too. Let us know what you end up with.

6. Sep 26, 2010 at 5:33 AM
    VermonterLost

VermonterLost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    I got an access cab beginning of August absolutely love it. That being said most of my friends are fat asses. I'm 5-11 150lbs so I'm one skinny dude but watching two of them fight over who got front and then watch them try to fit in the back seat was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen. He beat the shit out of my truck trying to get in and then was stuck trying to get out, grabbed him by the feet and dragged him out...equally funny, though not practical. If you've got little kids, and none of them are going to be over 5' and 100 or so pounds before you plan to trade, AC should be fine. Any of your buddies wanna ride along, double cab is worth it probably. Especially where you said a dog too, back windows open on the DC, let rover get some air...and your daughter haha.

7. Sep 26, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    ruskastud

ruskastud Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lenexa, KS
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    AVS Hood Shield & In Channel Ventvisors, Console Vault, Disable Seat Belt Chime, WeatherTech DigiFit Floor Liners, Lighted 4x4 Switch, Ultra-Gauge, Rear Spring TSB
    I had an '05 a/c and just went to a '10 d/c....... There really isn't enough room for an adult to sit comfortably in the back of the a/c. There are anchors for a kids seat in the back of the a/c (only 1) but I'm not sure there would actually be enoung room for one. I like the idea of a d/c longbed but they're just too long. Wouldn't fit in my garage.

I think you'll be very happy with a d/c shortbed.

Products Discussed in

To Top