LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A little heads up on a potential nightmare

Old 09-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
snowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of light

snowmansgarage's Tacoma Gallery
A little heads up on a potential nightmare

Last weekend I put my stage @ Competition Clutch and lightweight flywheel in my truck and during dis-assembly, one of the nuts for the crossover pipe pulled some threads off of a manifold stud. I soaked the studs with penetrating oil and I stopped by the dealer on Wednesday and picked up 4 new studs and nuts and planned on just replacing them all.

The studs have I believe an E14 head on them so that was my first attempt...no go, it twisted right off. Next attempt was to heat the flange and use a pair of Vise-grips...no go, the Vice-grips only stripped more material off. The third attempt was with a stud remover which didn't work either, it could not grip enough to remove the stud. During all of my attempts I could get the stud to turn a small amount but then seize up again. Finally I removed both manifolds then cut the studs off flush then drill out the remaining material.

All in all, I spent about 6 hours dealing with this mess. I added some anti-seize to the new studs/nuts to hopefully prevent any future frustrations...So to everyone out there dropping their crossover pipe, be careful!