Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Light scratches on black paint

Old 04-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
CharlieX is on a distinguished road
CharlieX's Tacoma Gallery
Light scratches on black paint

So my friend borrowed the new truck and had to put a large, heavy, cardboard box in the bed. Unfortunately she huffed it over the side instead of dropping the tailgate and sliding it in.... now i've got a whole swath of light scratches in the clear coat on the side of my bed

any good recommends to minimize or remove these? I know they make car wax especially for black, but won't that wear away with time and the scratches will be back?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Sunruner19 is the guy you need to talk too. He does auto detailing.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
sandie is on a distinguished road

sandie's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sandie Send a message via Yahoo to sandie Send a message via Skype™ to sandie
oooo...good topic! i'd love to hear about taking those annoying little scratches out too
Old 04-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
Someone told me Scratch-X is decent for those fine surface scratches.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #5

sandie's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sandie Send a message via Yahoo to sandie Send a message via Skype™ to sandie
hmmmm, i've never heard of that. is it like a wax type of product?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandie View Post
hmmmm, i've never heard of that. is it like a wax type of product?
It's a polish that's made by Meguiars. Most scratches that don't go into the paint can be polished out.

http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-paint-cleaners/ScratchX
Old 04-05-2007, 05:15 AM   #7
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I'm dreading the first scratch on my baby, but i know it will happen eventually. I have a black truck too, i'd like to know what to do when that terrible day finally comes....
Old 04-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
That's the rub... I totally pamper my Tacoma... but it gets used like a truck should. And the black just looks so good when it's clean!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #9
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
The black also looks good with mud kicked up all over the side of it kinda turns me on a little....
Old 04-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #10

sandie's Tacoma Gallery
a bunch of my coworkers and i are having a mobile detailer guy come out next week to claybar/wax/detail our trucks (we ALL have trucks!)...he's doing it for a great deal too because there are like 6 vehicles (he'll be here 3 days)...anyway, i'm going to ask him to polish out my little scratches, and i'll let you all know how it goes
Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody heard of Scratch Doctor by Nu Finish? I haven't used any yet, but I heard it was pretty good stuff. If it would ever stop snowing here, then I could clean my truck properly and do some much needed scratch removal. I'll let you know how the scratch doctor works when I try it out.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #12
Well I ended up getting Scratch-X... It seems to work pretty well. I'd say it took the appearance of the scratches down 90%. That is, I have to really get close in bright sunlight to see them.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #13
Well I ended up getting Scratch-X... It seems to work pretty well. I'd say it took the appearance of the scratches down 90%. That is, I have to really get close in bright sunlight to see them.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
snackeycakes is on a distinguished road
snackeycakes's Tacoma Gallery
Dredding the first scratch? Is this a pretty pre-runner that doesn't see the dirt? Why not just buy a car?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
dirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to behold

dirthawker1313's Tacoma Gallery
id say drag your buddy over by the ear and tell him to polish those scratches he put in it out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieX View Post
So my friend borrowed the new truck and had to put a large, heavy, cardboard box in the bed. Unfortunately she huffed it over the side instead of dropping the tailgate and sliding it in.... now i've got a whole swath of light scratches in the clear coat on the side of my bed

any good recommends to minimize or remove these? I know they make car wax especially for black, but won't that wear away with time and the scratches will be back?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #16
Hey guys watch THIS!
fasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to behold

fasn8dave's Tacoma Gallery
Good thread - my Black Sand Pearl paint looks like it's covered in spider web strands from the sand / dirt / mud / debris that's been rinsed and wiped off of it - I wouldn't mind polishing it back up.....
Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #17
S-M-R-T will become famous soon enoughS-M-R-T will become famous soon enough
S-M-R-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasn8dave View Post
Good thread - my Black Sand Pearl paint looks like it's covered in spider web strands from the sand / dirt / mud / debris that's been rinsed and wiped off of it - I wouldn't mind polishing it back up.....
You can always just get a cut polish too. It buffs off a certain amount of the clearcoat with it so there is a limit to how many times you can cut, but if the scratch doesn't penetrate the clear coat then it will look like new.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #19
FL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
FL Forester's Tacoma Gallery
Took mine to the woods less than 24 hours after signing the paperwork. I bought a truck to get me where I wanted to go. I haven't worried about the scratches yet. I do plan on taking to a friends body shop and letting them buff and wax my truck for me.