Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LED license plate lights

Old 09-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
date joined 03-18-2009 this is my new ID
Glamis is on a distinguished road
Glamis's Tacoma Gallery
Question LED license plate lights

Last week i put in some LED license plate lights to give my truck at Lexus look. I have a 2008 truck with 2009 LED stock Tail lights. Here is that odd thing that happens. when i put the LED lights in for the license plate lights the side marker LED on my brake lights glows.. It is not as bight as if my running lights are on but you can tell the LED is getting some power. Now when i put back in the Stock 194 bulb this glowing stops.

I have LED lights in my front marker lights and there are no problems with those and I have had them in for a long time.

the only thing i can think of is that there is some power in the lines or power is back feeding through the ground some how and the stock stock bulbs soak up this power.

I do not have a Volt meeter to test my ideas.

Any ideas from you?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Glamis's Tacoma Gallery
o here is a photo of the LED's
Attached Thumbnails
LED license plate lights-downsized_0928000739.jpg  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
That's odd...I'm running led's in my license plate lights with no issues.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Glamis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
That's odd...I'm running led's in my license plate lights with no issues.

What kind of LED's do you have in your truck?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Eurosport has a spectacular aura aboutEurosport has a spectacular aura about
Eurosport's Tacoma Gallery
while i understand it looks cool and bright, why would you want someone to easily read your plate?
think about it, if someone wants to call you in because you "merged wrong" you're only helping them read it better hah

merging was just an example was thinking more the lines of *cough* mph
Old 09-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurosport View Post
while i understand it looks cool and bright, why would you want someone to easily read your plate?
think about it, if someone wants to call you in because you "merged wrong" you're only helping them read it better hah

merging was just an example was thinking more the lines of *cough* mph
Mine actually illuminate the plate less than the stockers, because the LED light is very directional, and it's not pointed directly at the plate.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a reverse bias issue, try simply turning the bulb around and see what it does. If that does not do it, then i would suspect on of the actual SMD LED's is on backwards somewhere in the little assembly.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
Eurosport has a spectacular aura aboutEurosport has a spectacular aura about
Eurosport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Mine actually illuminate the plate less than the stockers, because the LED light is very directional, and it's not pointed directly at the plate.
nice
Old 09-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
Glamis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
Sounds like a reverse bias issue, try simply turning the bulb around and see what it does. If that does not do it, then i would suspect on of the actual SMD LED's is on backwards somewhere in the little assembly.
LED will not work if you turn them around. I'm going to try a different set LED's and see what happens.