Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Off-Road Test Review: 2011 Toyota Tacoma T|X Pro

Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
Off-Road Test Review: 2011 Toyota Tacoma T|X Pro

Just saw this and now I am considering trading in my 05

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/09...ma-tx-pro.html
Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
trading in your 05 for some bling stickers, thin all for show skidplate adn fake beadlocks?!!

you realize all that TX package is is a bunch of bolt ons right?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
flyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to all

Name: Zach
flyingface's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
oh i know and never would. my 05 is paid off and i never want to go back to a payment unless i have to. it's just the idea of a new toy(ota). however for me i would gain so much more such as access cab, v6, 4x4. all of which i do not have now on my stock base tacoma.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
BGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to all
Name: Baron
BGrutter's Tacoma Gallery
It's always fun to look. I'll grant you that. And it does look pretty nice.

However, I really didn't read any advantage over the TRD OR other than possibly the Beedlocks (I don't know how they actually perform), but I would probably replace them with a wider rim with less back spacing anyway.

Anyway, no harm in posting. But I'm good with what I got...
Old 09-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I know there are some TX owners on here but I think that package is crap.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Notice the front mud flaps missing???
Bead lockers and the exhaust are the only differences I can see with this package... The writer doesn't know that we have had Rugged Trails on the Off Road Tacomas for at least 10 model years?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Some people like an all in one. Yeah the package may mostly be show, but some don't like to mess with aftermarket exhausts or wheels and appreciate getting that through the factory ... especially if they can bargain down to a decent price. I had people tell me not to mess with TRD e-lockers, that I'd be better off with ARBs. Maybe. But I'm one of those guys who doesn't like to mess with that stuff.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
VanCity Taco.
ilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to behold

ilg's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah they really should have included a tire upgrade with these models as well. I remember early promotional material showing BFG ATs but in the end they skimped out on those and stuck on the old rugged fails.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
definitely a nice truck... but i can make mine a tx also, for under a grand
Old 09-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
joe812 will become famous soon enough
Name: Joe
joe812's Tacoma Gallery
i checked the link. the front passenger mud flap is missing but it looks like the front drivers side flap is still on. did it rip off during their "off-road test"? :-)
Old 09-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
BGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to all
Name: Baron
BGrutter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe812 View Post
i checked the link. the front passenger mud flap is missing but it looks like the front drivers side flap is still on. did it rip off during their "off-road test"? :-)
Yeah, I read the whole review, curious to see if I'd encounter anything unexpected. They said that when they came down off of one rock, it got snagged and tore off. They recommended taking the time to remove them before doing any Off-Roading.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
Im not impressed. Should have beefed it up...and I will say that if I did not get a damn good deal on my truck I would not have paid full sticker. I think they are a bit overpriced.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
TX BRO
Old 09-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
I dunno... looks like the Off Road to me. With a smooshed exhaust tip. Honestly, the body didn't change, no better tires, same seats (they appear) as my sport.

Can someone explain the whole thing with "bead lock" wheels? What's it mean, and what do they do that's better than a non-bead lock?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #17
Phones Ringin Dude
SplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to behold

Name: Haywood Jablowme
SplitDecision's Tacoma Gallery
With low tire pressures the bead lock keeps the tire from coming off the wheel.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #18
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I like how they mention it proved itself far beyond it's prerunner appearance and yet it's clearly a 4x4.

Retards.

NB - Keep in mind, those are SIMULATED bead locks. Not real ones. Those do nothing to prevent tire rim separation unlike a real bead lock tire.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #19
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
I dunno... looks like the Off Road to me. With a smooshed exhaust tip. Honestly, the body didn't change, no better tires, same seats (they appear) as my sport.

Can someone explain the whole thing with "bead lock" wheels? What's it mean, and what do they do that's better than a non-bead lock?
The Internet has all the answers...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
A beadlock or bead lock is a mechanical device that secures the bead of a tire to the wheel of a vehicle. Tires and wheels are designed so that, when the tire is inflated, the tire pressure pushes the bead of the tire against the inside of the wheel rim so that the tire stays on the wheel and the two rotate together. In situations where tire pressure is insufficient to hold the bead of the tire in place, a beadlock is needed.
There are several styles of beadlocks. For 4-wheel drive vehicles, a ring with a number of bolts around the circumference is used to clamp the tire to the wheel. For motorcycles, a rim lock or bead stopper is a curved plate tightened by a single bolt. For both 4-wheel drive vehicles and motorcycles, a different style of beadlock can be used that is similar to an inner tube which is inflated to press the tire against the wheel.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #20
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
WARNING: THREAD-JACK IN PROGRESS!!

So the "bead lock" is essentially a clamp on the wheel that holds the rim of the tire up to the wheel rim? Is there any "low" that still holds the tire in place, or is it more tire/terrain dependent?

BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD