Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

truck sounds like a wind up toy when accelerating...

Old 09-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Karo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Karo
Karo's Tacoma Gallery
truck sounds like a wind up toy when accelerating...

I just noticed this a few days ago and wasn't sure if it had just happened, or if it had been happening for some time now. Well, my truck just sounds like it was wound up and released like a toy. I read online that it could be from too much oil in the vehicle, but the last time I had an oil change was about 2 months ago.

The noise gets louder as I accelerate, as if something is beginning to come to a point where it could "brake". With that said, the noise stops when I get the car to a complete stop.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Any ideas or suggestions on what the problem might be/solutions?

Any info will be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of wind up toy?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Karo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedKaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Karo's Tacoma Gallery
the kinds that you reverse in order to wind it up...or even an RC toy. sounds like that. im really concerned, please dont fuck around
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
i had that prob once. i fixed it, just turned up my stereo. noise went away. good times. does it completely go away when vehicle is shut off?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karo View Post
the kinds that you reverse in order to wind it up...or even an RC toy. sounds like that. im really concerned, please dont fuck around
While I was sort of joking, I was really looking for a more detailed description of the sound.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Best thing to do, if you can, is record a video of you driving so we can hear it.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
SpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SpaceMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure you aren't hearing alternator whine through your stereo? Is your stereo stock?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Are you sure you aren't hearing alternator whine through your stereo? Is your stereo stock?
x2

I do hear this "whining" too...but i dont know if its the same sound or if its from my alternator.

I know that its pretty quiet, not too loud where its gets to the point where its disturbing, but to me it sounds like a really quiet supercharger

I've heard this for a long time, i doubt its anything bad...maybe its just the way the engine sounds.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
05tacoSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Turbo taco without the Turbo. Truck does have a CAI but that's not the culprit.mine whines the more gas iy gets
Old 10-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #10

Karo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
no my stereo isn't stock, had it changed in 06
Old 10-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #11

Karo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA452 View Post
While I was sort of joking, I was really looking for a more detailed description of the sound.
Hey sorry dude I was being a dick. It sounds like those toy cars on the tracks that you wind up by reversing the rear tires and release.. if that makes any sense
Old 10-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #12

Karo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobo670 View Post
i had that prob once. i fixed it, just turned up my stereo. noise went away. good times. does it completely go away when vehicle is shut off?
haha ya i do that too now since i have no other solution.. but then my rear subs thump on their own after blasting metallica for an hour on the road. And yes the noise completely goes away when i shut off the car, and also decreases as a decelerate and stop using the brakes.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #13

Karo's Tacoma Gallery
Hey everyone that was interested in this thread, the cause of that noise was my rear differential n it cost me about three grand to repair. I recommend u get yrs chec uked out too
Old 11-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Damn! That sucks. Did you not service it since you have owned it?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname150 View Post
x2

I do hear this "whining" too...but i dont know if its the same sound or if its from my alternator.

I know that its pretty quiet, not too loud where its gets to the point where its disturbing, but to me it sounds like a really quiet supercharger

I've heard this for a long time, i doubt its anything bad...maybe its just the way the engine sounds.
I have this quiet whining too! Sounds like I have a supercharger the size of a turtle. It's kinda cool, really. lol
Old 11-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
if your stereo isnt stock turn down the gain if you can..