1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off Road Package Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jaw154, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Oct 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    jaw154

jaw154 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD Off road
    Soon...
    Alright so I have the Off road package 4x4 with all the bells and whistles and I know i have the locker and Atrac and such.
    I am confused though because the sport package 4x4 has the LSD. I like to snowboard and I am more than likely going to college in the snow and my question is does the Off Road package have the LSD also or what?

2. Oct 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    It has the version that uses the ABS system to act like it has a limited slip. The computer will apply the break to the slipping wheel to give the other wheel a chance to try and gain traction. Or something like that. With 4X4 you are set for the snow.

3. Oct 2, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    YES... they both have the SAME limited slip system (TRAC and AUTO LSD), but the Off Road is much stronger as it has the hydraulic brake booster for the A-TRAC system... and that enhances the TRAC and AUTO LSD in our Off Road TRDs. A Sport TRD only has the standard vacuum brake booster, so the limited slip isn't as strong...

4. Oct 2, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    If you have a locker, as far as I know, the diff is open with the locker isn't engaged.

Just take it easy when your turning on wet pavement. Pretty damn easy to get the truck to break traction in the rear when its wet out.

5. Oct 2, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    All Tacomas (now, '09 +) have open differentials... but the TRAC is on standby and will activate when needed, this allows the best maneuverabilty... The '05-'08 Sports had a limited slip differential (with clutches inside, special fluid required). You can disable TRAC and have open differentials only by holding down the VSC Off switch, while stopped.

2009 + have TRACTION CONTROL (TRAC) which is 'electronic Limited Slip' using the brakes and sensors that monitor wheel spin.

AUTO LSD (TRAC OFF MODE) is TRAC without the engine output regulated... ie. stronger, like posi-traction. It works only in 2WD. A quick push of the VSC Off switch activates it.

TRAC in H4 is like Auto LSD, but on all 4 tires, no engine regulation for a strong LSD action.

A-TRAC is one big step stronger, and is better described as 'electronic front and rear lockers' and allows almost no slipping of a non-traction tire.

The Rear Differential Lock is still there, but not really needed as it was in pre-A-TRAC models for traction.

If no limited slip is desired to allow tires to spin freely (open differentials), hold in the VSC OFF switch, while stopped, for 3-5 seconds.

Here are your OFF ROAD TRD traction choices:

2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4WD with Hydraulic Brake Booster and 9 drive modes:

1) 2WD: VSC and TRAC active, engine regulated ('Limited Slip Lite').*
    2) 2WD: 'AUTO LSD' ('TRAC OFF MODE'). No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.
    3) 2WD: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differential').

4) 4WD-Hi: VSC and TRAC active. No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.*
    5) 4WD-Hi: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differentials').

6) 4WD-Lo: VSC and TRAC are both off in L4 ('open differentials').*
    7) 4WD-Lo: 'A-TRAC' on gives a 'locker-like, super strong' limited slip, front and rear.**
    8) 4WD-Lo: Rear Differential Locked and open front differential (A-TRAC off).
    9) 4WD-Lo: RR DIFF LOCK + A-TRAC on, 3 MPH limit.

(* standard modes without pushing any buttons, ** requires activation just once and will be on automatically each time in L4)

Products Discussed in

To Top