Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3 Inch TOYTEC Ultimate Lift OR RCD 4.5 Inch Lift Kit?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
FXHO is on a distinguished road

Name: Luis
FXHO's Tacoma Gallery
3 Inch TOYTEC Ultimate Lift OR RCD 4.5 Inch Lift Kit?

I need some help from TW on deciding which lift would be best for the TACO and why. Pros and cons PLS

1) 3 Inch TOYTEC Ultimate Lift

OR

2) RCD 4.5 Inch Lift Kit

either one would be running XD Monster Wheels 18x9, 275/70/18

I really like how the 4.5 inch looks bc of the aggressiveness but is $$$$ and the 3 inch looks nice and is more affordable but I would like it a bit higher.... So Taco lovers, what do you guys think. Remember pros and cons abt both would really help and your honest opinion too.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
francis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Trevor
francis1291's Tacoma Gallery
I have a pro comp 3 inch lift on mine and i like it. Came wit new coil springs and shocks and aal's
Old 10-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #3

FXHO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by francis1291 View Post
I have a pro comp 3 inch lift on mine and i like it. Came wit new coil springs and shocks and aal's
any 1?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't run a drop bracket lift but it's just personal preference.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
i am partial to the toytec ultimate lift.

is your truck a 4x4?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
I run the RCD... and had a 3" lift before, but I'd talk to jrobson... he had the toytec ultimate and now has the RCD... he has personal experience with both, he switched for a reason, but I don't remember why (something about blowing cv's)

Pro:
the RCD gives you smooth ride (a little stiffer than stock due to bilsteins) and the perfect ride height for these trucks.
CV angles are perfect...
run atleast 33"/12" wide tires with no rubbing/cutting/modification

Con:
Drop bracket lift (if thats a con to you)
The rear set up (blocks) is a little undesirable but can be changed.

just one con related to the RCD lift kit itself... rough texture causes some difficulty with the install, along with the positioning of the cam bolts

btw, wheelersoffroad has the RCD kit for $1799 vs ULT $1149
Old 10-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #7

FXHO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
I wouldn't run a drop bracket lift but it's just personal preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
I run the RCD... and had a 3" lift before, but I'd talk to jrobson... he had the toytec ultimate and now has the RCD... he has personal experience with both, he switched for a reason, but I don't remember why (something about blowing cv's)

Pro:
the RCD gives you smooth ride (a little stiffer than stock due to bilsteins) and the perfect ride height for these trucks.
CV angles are perfect...

Con:

just one con related to the RCD lift kit itself... rough texture causes some difficulty with the install, along with the positioning of the cam bolts
whats a drop bracket lift ??? what does that mean? whats so bad abt it?
and what do you mean rough texture?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #8

FXHO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMonkey View Post
i am partial to the toytec ultimate lift.

is your truck a 4x4?
no its not 4x4.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXHO View Post
no its not 4x4.
oh you're not 4x4! forget everything I just said

easy... get lift spindles... and a leaf in the rear and call it a day...
Old 10-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXHO View Post
whats a drop bracket lift ??? what does that mean? whats so bad abt it?
and what do you mean rough texture?
drop brackets are only important to 4wd vehicles... allows the front cross member to be chopped to allow the front diff to drop down and thus lower the LCAs to allow longer spindles and shocks...

you are 4x2 don't worry about it... get new spindles either 3.5" or 4" and something for the rear... run either stock shocks or bilsteins or any shock you want...

lifting 4x2 = easy

don't waste your money lifting a 4x2 with shocks/springs alone... check out iamrayzians build or search for spindles

camburg 4" spindles

or

Total Chaos 3.5" spindles
Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #11

FXHO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
oh you're not 4x4! forget everything I just said

easy... get lift spindles... and a leaf in the rear and call it a day...
Quote:
drop brackets are only important to 4wd vehicles... allows the front cross member to be chopped to allow the front diff to drop down and thus lower the LCAs to allow longer spindles and shocks...

you are 4x2 don't worry about it... get new spindles either 3.5" or 4" and something for the rear... run either stock shocks or bilsteins or any shock you want...

lifting 4x2 = easy

don't waste your money lifting a 4x2 with shocks/springs alone... check out iamrayzians build or search for spindles
so the is it ok to buy this kit and install it the way it comes>>>> http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uprcdtaco.htm
Old 10-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
^I guess you could do that without cutting anything (but IDK for sure)... but why would you do that... just get spindles from camburg... that would be a lot of unnecessary work

http://www.camburg.com/?p=452

add some bilsteins 5100 set an zero and 4" something for the rear and you'd be golden
Old 10-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
You will rub like crazy with 18x9's. I ran 17x9 with 285-70-17's and had my coils cranked to the max and it still rubbed with the toytec kit. I would definately go with RCD unless you are just going for a mall crawler.The Toytec lift was a rough ride as well with the coils set where I had them. Spend the extra and go RCD. Your 18'swill run perfectally under it and it will perform great ofroad also.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Go with Solus's idea. I like that the best for a 4x2.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
If you get an drop bracket instead of spindles for a 4x2 you are an idiot... but thats just my opinion.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #16
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
^no need to bash him... he doesnt know any better... thats why he is here to get an Tacomacation!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #17
pvfd1270 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
pvfd1270's Tacoma Gallery
Need help fellars! Need best 3“ lift kit any help?

Whats the best 3" lift kit to get for my 06 Tacoma 4x4? I have a pro comp on my 99 with diff drop but it blows cv boots still.....im scared to death of the spacer deal cause of this. Is a lift with new spings and taller struts safer? Dont want this prob on my new one.......thanks!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
waheed is on a distinguished road

Name: Waheed
waheed's Tacoma Gallery
[QU"OTE=sol us;22 clearence43300]I run the RCD... and had a 3" lift before, but I'd talk to jrobson... he had the toytec ultimate and now has the RCD... he has personal experience with both, he switched for a reason, but I don't remember why (something about blowing cv's)

Pro:
CV angles are perfect...

Con:

Sooooo I got a 4x4 "drop bracket lIft" means less clearnce under truck??