Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Leer XQ or XL

View Poll Results: Which Leer would you go with?
Leer XL 7 24.14%
Leer XQ 22 75.86%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdaniel View Post
Those of you with XLs and XQs, could I ask you to take a pic of the side window open, and post here? Amazing, but Leer doesn't have any pictures on their website or brochure on how the windows open, or what they look like when open. I'm trying to decide between the two. The XQ is $250 more, but comes with the headliner, which is a $135 option on the XL.
So I went to my local canopy shop and looked at both the XL and XQ and even the 100R. The sales person did not recommend the XQ because of leak problems. I liked the XL anyways it looked good. As far as how the side window open they slide out with a knob that you spin. The longer window does not open just the small one. I was quoted $1844.98 installed that's including the free promotional black carpted headliner and front removable slider window. The 100R is way cheaper at $1250 installed but I hate the old school looking back door. I will post pic when if I get one.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:38 AM   #22
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post
So I went to my local canopy shop and looked at both the XL and XQ and even the 100R. The sales person did not recommend the XQ because of leak problems. I liked the XL anyways it looked good. As far as how the side window open they slide out with a knob that you spin. The longer window does not open just the small one. I was quoted $1844.98 installed that's including the free promotional black carpted headliner and front removable slider window. The 100R is way cheaper at $1250 installed but I hate the old school looking back door. I will post pic when if I get one.

OP, like you I was in the market for a topper a few months back. I did alot of reading and research on this forum which was helpful. Whatever model or brand you buy make sure you look it over closely before the install. Once you drive away with it, you own it.

The big closer for me on the purchase of my topper, was finding a dealer that I could trust to do really good work and stand behind what he sells if I should have any issues. I know you are looking at a LEER, I bought an ARE "Z" as I liked the rear door strength/design better. I did give LEER a look. For what its worth, good luck.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #23
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post
Go to Leer's website and look for discount coupons. When I bought mine there was a $70 coupon there, but you have to give it the dealer when you place the order.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #24
collinkonow is on a distinguished road
Army:
collinkonow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2RIDE View Post
I can speak with a bit of knowledge here. I have a LEER XQ on our 2010 Ford F150 Work Truck. It is very nice. My only complaints are:

1. We cannot stop it from leaking just a bit up front.
2. The rear glass latch/locking leaves a bit to be desired.

I have a Snugtop Supersport on my 2009 Tacoma Access Cab. I like the look of the side glass on XQ better, however, I feel the quality of the Snugtop is better and zero leaks.

Whatever you buy you will be happy. I got very lucky on my Tacoma canopy. I found it on Craigslist "like new" for $800. Paid over 2k new for the Leer. Well I didn't my work credit card did.

I totally agree but had worse luck with the XQ on my 2004 F150. After about 1 year the rear hatch mechanism failed and I'm suprised it lasted that long. It is very shoddy. I however had no mleak issues. Go with the old fashioned style handles(1 on each side) It may not be as good looking but WAY more solid
Old 09-17-2011, 04:00 AM   #25
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

Didn't feel like making a new thread so I'm going to revive this one. I'm in the market for toppers again. Getting ready for winter and need to keep my gears dry. I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews. Some say Leer are great and some say they are the worst. I'm set on getting the Leer brand because in my opinion they look better. I'm still torn between the 100XR and the 100XL. Only difference I notice is the side windows. Those with these topper please chime in. I really need some feedback as this is going to be a large purchase.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #27
gptoy has a spectacular aura aboutgptoy has a spectacular aura aboutgptoy has a spectacular aura about
gptoy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to gptoy
I guess your shopping list didn't include my model but I'll chime in because it's still a LEER. I just picked up my 100R a few months ago and love it. I find the quality good and I got a couple extra toys like the carpet liner, Thule rails, 12V plugs. All of which have been useful for me.

I got my cap for camping so I liked the sliding side windows and traditional back glass, it gets a little dustier inside then I'd like but that's more the shape of the tailgate/box match than the cap's fault. I'm going to get rubber weatherstripping to help minimize this.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #28

Seems like the leer here in Washington is pretty cheap. Its about $1900 installed here. I see others spending $2000+ but that's probably for a loaded cap.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #29

Ordering my Leer 100XL next week. At just over $1900 I feel like its a little spendy. It includes headliner, fixed front window, and keyless unlock/lock. With the same options the XR is just little over $1600. Anyone know how much these 5ft bed cap weighs?