Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Leer XQ or XL

View Poll Results: Which Leer would you go with?
Leer XL 7 24.14%
Leer XQ 22 75.86%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Leer XQ or XL

In the market for a leer canopy can't decide which one to go with? Anyone have detailed pics of the outside and inside of the leer canopy installed on Double cab short bed? Thanks
Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Seener84 has a spectacular aura aboutSeener84 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Sean
Seener84's Tacoma Gallery
Voted XL for cost, and functionality
Old 10-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Whichever has the largest glass area. Tacoma's visiblity sucks. You need every bit of glass you can get on the road. Both are good choices though.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
FASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to all
Name: Gregg
FASTK's Tacoma Gallery
I have the XQ on my 2010 DBL Cab long bed. I also have a Bed Rug and rubber floor mat. Sorry that the floor mat is dirty, just took the dogs out.

This weekend I'll be camping out and sleeping in the back, the Bed Rug is a great insulator. Also note the heavy gauge screens on the window, you can add this to the Leer windows to prevent your dog from scratching out the window screens.

Also do yourself a favor and get the pop out rear window with the slider window.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
LIVE TO FLY
Kdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken
Kdawwwg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTK View Post
I have the XQ on my 2010 DBL Cab long bed. I also have a Bed Rug and rubber floor mat. Sorry that the floor mat is dirty, just took the dogs out.

This weekend I'll be camping out and sleeping in the back, the Bed Rug is a great insulator. Also note the heavy gauge screens on the window, you can add this to the Leer windows to prevent your dog from scratching out the window screens.

Also do yourself a favor and get the pop out rear window with the slider window.

thats not a xq,thats a xr
Old 10-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
crawlerdog is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
crawlerdog's Tacoma Gallery
I had a XQ on my 2007 DB. It looked great. Super slick lines with the frameless windows, but the windows barely open. They only just pop out for ventilation.

I now have a 2010 acess cab that I put the XR on. I bought this truck for the 6' bed to go camping in the back and wanted a topper with more airflow. I love how the windows slide open so far. My dogs appreciate the extra air flow as well. I still think it looks great. It has the same mold as the XQ, just has frames around the windows.

My vote is for the XR. Function rules over Looks for me.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
Old Guy Member
satchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nice

Air Force: mech
satchsd's Tacoma Gallery

XQ here
Old 10-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
xq for sure. best looking canopies ever.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
Plopter Pilot
A5_GUY is on a distinguished road
Marines: If you see something flying and don't know what it is...that's what I fly.
A5_GUY's Tacoma Gallery

Old 10-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
So want an XQ...but dont want to drop that kind of coin.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:44 AM   #14
Seener84 has a spectacular aura aboutSeener84 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Sean
Seener84's Tacoma Gallery
How tight are you torquing the bolts that hold down your leer. I just put mine on yesterday and was a little nervous to crank down on it since it is fiberglass. I also dont want the thing "loose".
Old 10-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #15
Taco Supremist
spearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to all

spearhead's Tacoma Gallery
What are the price differences in the two?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #17
RX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the rough
RX2RIDE's Tacoma Gallery
I can speak with a bit of knowledge here. I have a LEER XQ on our 2010 Ford F150 Work Truck. It is very nice. My only complaints are:

1. We cannot stop it from leaking just a bit up front.
2. The rear glass latch/locking leaves a bit to be desired.

I have a Snugtop Supersport on my 2009 Tacoma Access Cab. I like the look of the side glass on XQ better, however, I feel the quality of the Snugtop is better and zero leaks.

Whatever you buy you will be happy. I got very lucky on my Tacoma canopy. I found it on Craigslist "like new" for $800. Paid over 2k new for the Leer. Well I didn't my work credit card did.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #18
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry I don't have more detailed pics right now just the ones in my gallery. Here is my Leer XL and if you're interested there are some of my '07 with a 100R in my pics.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #19
jmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud of

Army:
jmdaniel's Tacoma Gallery
Those of you with XLs and XQs, could I ask you to take a pic of the side window open, and post here? Amazing, but Leer doesn't have any pictures on their website or brochure on how the windows open, or what they look like when open. I'm trying to decide between the two. The XQ is $250 more, but comes with the headliner, which is a $135 option on the XL.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #20
huckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nice
huckyourmeat's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered the XR for my '10 DCSB after having the R on my 1st gen for almost 7 years. The only difference is the rear window is frameless and has slam latches on the XR.

One feature that I had on my old one that is indispensable is the addition of the side "windoor" to the driver's side.

The window is about the same size as the side screened slider, but the entire window flips open like the back window. Makes putting stuff in/getting stuff out of the topper much easier. No climbing in when something slides to the front.

I like the look of the solid/frameless side windows but they are not practical for me for camping, dogs, etc. I even made a screen frame that pops in and out so the dog can hang his head out the window!

I'll post pics when the topper is installed, likely sometime next week.