Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

mud flaps vs no mud flaps poll:

View Poll Results: mud flaps on or off
on 105 45.06%
off 128 54.94%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
dirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to behold
EMS: paramedic
dirtytaco2010's Tacoma Gallery
mud flaps vs no mud flaps poll:

thinking of taking off my mud flaps what is the consensus? Either way I'm gonna do what I want just curious what other people would do or have done...
Old 10-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
♥ Emergency Medicine
m0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: B.S, NREMT
m0nster986's Tacoma Gallery
Rears on, fronts off
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
dirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to behold
EMS: paramedic
dirtytaco2010's Tacoma Gallery
shoots really figures i didnt look first lol my bad
Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
leave em all on. looks better imo
Old 10-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #5
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
What about trimming them? Didn't vote cause its not an option
Old 10-04-2010, 04:38 AM   #6
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
I like them off because they don't catch on anything anymore...but feel guilty that they're off if that makes sense? I hate feeling like I might crack someone elses windshield.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
rather chance the flap geting ripped off then throwing sand and rock all over the side of my truck when driving on the roads here. Can always take them off if heading off road and put back on for the highway. My .02. Alot of people don't like the etch marks the flap leaves on the fender after flapping/rubbing for a while. I am seriously considering creating a mod, if not done already, to place something on the paint there under the flaps to prevent this, maybe silicone or something similar. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capita View Post
What about trimming them? Didn't vote cause its not an option
imo, dont cut them up. Take them off and sell them, or leave em on. But cutting them kinda ruins a good set of flaps unless youre bent on keeping them on and they rub w/ a new wheel/tire/suspension combo.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nster986 View Post
Rears on, fronts off
Ditto... johnny law says I need them on. Plus, I would be pised if I was behind a truck that didn't have flaps on and it tossed a rock through my windshield.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeezy View Post
leave em all on. looks better imo
I agree

they are part of the personality of the Tacoma...plus they do a real good job protecting the sides of the truck.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
tacos is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Leave them on if you can. I took mine off and sold them on craigslist about a month ago and regret it. Just take them off if your going off road so a rock doesn't take them off for you. Keep'em.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #12
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
I keep the back ones on, took the fronts off.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #14
TacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to all

TacoSupreme's Tacoma Gallery
They are on now, but will be off ASAP once I get bigger tires.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
My fronts came off by themselves because they were too soft. I see other tacos with the fronts bent backwards because they eventually give way. I took just the fronts off originally, then one day on a trail run I backed up a boulder and ripped one of the rears off with the tire pressed against it and the rock. I figured WTF, might as well have all 4 off. The only thing I hate about it is when I put tire shine stuff on and it throws that oily crap all over the side of the truck, and then the dust sticks to it. I always have to wipe it down again a day or two after a wash.

Plus, the rears look silly once you get a lift and bigger, wider tires. My flaps only covered about 2/3 of my tires and looked goofy. Glad to have them off, IMO.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #16
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
I like the look of the flaps, but the toyota flaps are so flemsy. Broke several, and didn't want to pay the $70 for each, just took em off.

Side note: If you take them off and would be interested in selling them, let me know.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #17
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtytaco2010 View Post
thinking of taking off my mud flaps what is the consensus? Either way I'm gonna do what I want just curious what other people would do or have done...

Just saw you are from cali. I just got a fix it ticket from CHP for not having them on. My case is a lil different tho as i am lifted 6" and have 35's. But he did say that they are going to start cracking down. I am going to make a bracket that just slides in to my hitch reciever and has a bar with mud flaps on either end. That way when i go wheeling, i can just pull it off and put it back on when im done.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #18
MSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MSUtacoboy's Tacoma Gallery
dangit. i voted wrong.
should be "off" i don't like them on.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #19
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
imo, dont cut them up. Take them off and sell them, or leave em on. But cutting them kinda ruins a good set of flaps unless youre bent on keeping them on and they rub w/ a new wheel/tire/suspension combo.
I already got the fronts trimmed. Works better. Still keeps dirt from flicking up and now they don't bottom up on every bump. No one mentioned how much wind these front flats hold. Its pretty funny seeing another Taco pass with the flats flying way back
Old 10-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #20
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Its probably not just wind, it is probably cracked like the rest of the crappy, flemsy @ss flaps. Thats what mine did. On;y way I noticed they were broke.