Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealer can't install OEM Alarm System???

Old 10-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
K Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shed
K Williams's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to K Williams
Question Dealer can't install OEM Alarm System???

Does anyone here have a 2010 or 2011 Tacoma that has the Toyota VIP RS3200 Plus system installed? My truck is at the delaership now, and they are saying that there's a compatability issue with the alarm system and the engine immobilizer system. Is this true or are they bullshitting me. The offered to install a Code Alarm Pro 200 alarm(which they claim is more expensive). I just checked online...the Pro 200 is no where near the cost of the VIP system.

What are some good aftermarket alarm systems that I can get installed at an alarm/stereo shop? 'Cause I can see I'm going to have problems with the service dept if they keep playing games.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
Shaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to behold

Shaggy's Tacoma Gallery
I just had installed the Python autostart w/alarm (model 991), window modules and the Viper SmartStart system. So far I love it.

Dealer had no problems at all installing it in my 10 TRD. The entire system is pricey but the alarm system would of only been a few hundred bucks had I of just done that.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
hpd5705 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Weapons
Name: Rich
hpd5705's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up RS3200 Plus for 2010 Tacoma

I installed the RS3200 Plus OEM alarm in my 2010 Tacoma PreRunner on 03/25/13. It is a lot of work requiring removal of numerous dash parts, pulling and exchanging electrical pins in one electrical connector and routing the long V5 wires/connectors from the drivers side, through the center dash and into the passenger electrical connections. The fit is tight. On the passenger side it states to plug in the V5 grey connector with the truck grey connector but the picture in the manual does not match up and the location where the manual states to do this is an empty spot. It was obvious a change was made by the manufacturer. I found a white 11P connector higher up that did the trick and installed the V5 grey connector to this 11P white connector. After it was all done it worked fine. Nothing had to spliced or cut. It was all plug-in-play. Installing the RS3200 Plus in the Tacoma requires time and lots of patience.

The most useful tool I found that helped me was a 10mm socket and a light that my mom gave me that you wear on your head. Working with two hands and not having to handle a flashlight was a BIG plus.

After following the directions step-by-step, putting the negative battery cable back on and starting your truck, it will rev for awhile and then go back to normal.

My 2013 Corolla was way easier with half the connectors and length.

I hope this helps anyone that can use the info.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bill
03f5sp's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is they just don't want to deal with it. My dad used to do car phone and alarm system installs at our cellphone business. He eventually stopped doing alarm system installs because they were such a pain in the ass, and that 20 years ago when cars were more simple.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
That doesn't make sense. That is a cake job for a dealer tech, one that they can make a lot of money on- especially if flat rate.

I think they ordered the wrong part or something.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Reminds me of my Dodge Ram....

I wanted the OEM factory alarm installed and they couldn't do it. The alarm wasn't compatible with the ECM. Something about the hardware CAN setup and it wasn't equipped with the necessary units to install an alarm.

WTF?? Really?

Why even bother offer selling accessories if they don't or can't work on ALL models?