1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

About Fuel Economy 2010-2015

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DCGirl, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I fully believe that you have the concept down, but your description could lead others astray. Depreciation will be constant at a point in time in the future for the vehicle in question. Depreciation is set by the buyers/sellers in the market for a specific time later. It is the same for all buyers/sellers, the same model will follow the same depreciation curve.

What you will have though is an excellent condition-low milage vehicle vs. a good condition (sounds like you take care of your sh-tuff)-high milage vehicle. By not driving it the depreciation rate does not change, just the condition of it.

Again, terminology, but also if you don't sell your vehicles and drive 'em into the ground, none of this matters :D

2. Oct 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

I know exactly what you mean. The truck is more enjoyable to drive, but this fucking Matrix has earned my loyalty and respect. It's like a good dog, never lets me down. I will stand by it to the end.

3. Oct 5, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Actually, I think it would be more accurate to say it alters the rate in a finite time period. It "alters the curve", so to speak, away from a linear downward course to a flatter curve with a logarithmic drop at the end around the time period that the truck, regardless of condition, is not in demand because of age.

So, yes, I arrive at the same depreciation level in a different fashion.

And yeah...for me, this is all academic. I keep my shit, care for it, and it treats me as well as I treat it :D

4. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    At this point it seems likely that the price of oil is determined by the emerging markets of China and India. Those countries have the potential to increase demand for energy far more than the mature economies of North America and Europe. The other scary thing is that their economies seem to be recovering faster than those of the West. Our standard of living is dependent on cheap energy sources- meaning a permanent increase in energy costs could cripple recovery further. The stakes in this "battle" are higher than those of the "Cold War" ever were!

I believe the largest exporter of oil to the US right now is Alberta (tar sands). There is a vast amount of oil in these reserves, but a huge price is paid to extract it. I read that it would take more than all the known reserves of natural gas in Canada to extract all the oil from this source. Talk about CO2 generation!! Some proposals on the table right now are to build Nuclear plants to extract the oil.

Regarding Alaska reserves- I read that drilling in the wildlife reserves would supply US demands for around 6 months and it would take 5 years before it started flowing. This is not a solution- It is a red herring designed to make a few people rich!!

5. Oct 5, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    DCGirl

DCGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    A lot of good posts in here. Im gonna say screw it and get the Tacoma. Why? Because Tacoma's are fun as hell and when gas does get that high we are all screwed and ill probably ride my bike most of the time instead. Maybe more people will start riding them in America but im not holding my breath.

Now im just wondering whether 4x4 is necessary for me. I do light trails to get to some hiking or biking trails. I take trips 2-6 times a year to places like Colorado and drive through that 100 mile stretch of nothing in Utah where it can snow and there is no plows for a while if your in a storm. I go snowboarding 1-2 times a week. I go to Mammoth Mountain and Tahoe sometimes but mostly in the Southern California resorts, I have been in a few storms since I am an early riser and was damn glad I had 4x4 while other cars were slipping and sliding. Can I get by in the PreRunner?

6. Oct 5, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    usyelnoc

usyelnoc pound it

Member:
    not to be rude, but i'll speak plainly: if you're worried about gas, why are you buying a truck?

7. Oct 5, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    DCGirl

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Good point but im just thinking about worst case scenario's and just plain curiosity about what other people have heard.

How many people would be able to afford gas in double digits

8. Oct 5, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    ScootsOFP

ScootsOFP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoot
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5/TRD
    deckplate, white LED gauges, fog light mod (Beau02 write up), Scion t1814 head unit
    could this be tacoma worlds first ever wookie member?! jk :D.
    Semper.

9. Oct 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    If you can afford it, get 4x4. If your'e doing stuff like that, there's no question. It's better to have it and never need it, than need it and not have it. Plus resale will remain higher, even if gas does go up. 4x4's are required for some people in some areas... and as far as 4x4's go Tacoma's still get it done cheaper and better than most else in it's class for any foreseeable future. Will a prerunner get it done? Maybe, the TRD Off-Road with a locker (or aftermarket non TRD OR might)... but a locker does not, can not, will never replace 4x4 in low traction situations.

10. Oct 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    With my current bills and pay, no I wouldn't. That said, I'd get a crotch rocket or something to use as a DD/work beater and use the Taco for bad weather/hauling/shopping/wheeling/ect.

But if it gets double digits, it won't matter anyway, because I and 99% of the rest of the nation won't have a job anyway.

11. Oct 5, 2010 at 11:03 PM
    usyelnoc

usyelnoc pound it

Member:
    If you want a tacoma, but are concerned about gas prices, maybe look at a 4x2 4cyl.

12. Oct 5, 2010 at 11:06 PM
    DCGirl

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Ooh-Rah

13. Oct 6, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    This thread is comical. In all seriousness, if we ever got into $5+ per gallon in the next 5 years, this entire country will become nonfunctional.

14. Oct 6, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Here in canada, right now the price is 4.31 canadian $ to the gallon (american gallon)...

And we are more taxed....

15. Oct 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    You say that like it's not possible at all. Two years ago it was close to $5/gal in my area at least, I don't know why it couldn't reach that level again.

16. Oct 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    usyelnoc

usyelnoc pound it

Member:
    Albertas got it lucky, I'm in BC myself.

We can always just hop across the border into Blaine, WA and fill up for 40% less :cool:

17. Oct 6, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    We should consider ourselves lucky for now in the US and Canada, in the UK they're going to start or will shorty pay a little over 7 dollars a gallon for their gas. :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top