1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much did the dealer charge you for....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toyotatacomaTRD, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD [OP] Senior Member

Member:
    I am setting up an appointment to have the dealer change out my diff fluid and spark plugs (I don't trust a local oil change shop to do this job correctly, call me paranoid). It is not something I want to attempt on my own, so I wanted to see what others paid at the dealership..

He quoted $96 for the plugs installed (sounds fair to me).

and quoted $149 for the diff fluid.. Sounded a little high. He said when they change the diff fluid they also change the transfer case fluid (did I hear that right?)

Does this sound fair?

2. Oct 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If its 149 for front end, rear end and transfer case, I'd say that sounds pretty good. Last time I checked with a dealer, they wanted over 350 for the 30,000 mile service (front end, rear end, transfer case, oil change, tire rotation and inspection of a bunch of other crap)

3. Oct 4, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    changing the fluids is easy. Remove a few bolts and you just wait.

the plugs, seem to be a little more involved with removing parts to gain access.

You can save about $~200 if you did it yourself for both.

Spark plugs are probably about $15 total.
    Fluids will vary depending on what you're using.

A couple of DIY posts on here.

4. Oct 4, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    The plugs are reasonable. The diffs are absurd.

You can get synthetic gear oil for the diffs and T-case for 70 to 90ish bucks. With about an hour to kill you can do it yourself, and lube the driveshaft while you're under there.

I wouldn't pay for the diff oils.

5. Oct 4, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    They said this should be done at 30,000 miles.
    Dealer quoted me 138.95 for tune up/ spark plug replacement.
    149.95 for the 2 diffs and transfer case.

I only had the oils changed of those two things.

6. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Check the stickies for the plugs. It's "easy", you just have to remove a few things. Wait until you have a Saturday and about 4 hours. It won't take any where near that long, but you'll have extra time and won't be in a hurry. Try doing just one of the 2 services yourself and save some money. Next time try something else. You'll feel great once you're done and look in your wallet and have $100 to go and blow. :D How else are you going to get out of the dealer trap?

7. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    You could knock out the plugs by your self with a couple of hand tools and about half an hour to an hour of your time

8. Oct 5, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD [OP] Senior Member

Member:
    Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.. I am sure I could do it on my own with the help of the write-ups on this forum, but I decided to book the appointment with the dealer.

My next question, the previous owner painted the underneath black (to make it look new I guess, I wish he hadn't). I was told there was a sticker that said which type of oil to use, if there is, it seems to be covered up. I am sure the dealer will know what type to use, but I just thought I would check with you guys first and see what you thought.

Is there a particular option that differentiates between the 2 oils?

9. Oct 5, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    The book calls for an hour of labor for the plugs. So 96 bucks sounds right with the cost of the plugs. Around here the going rate for gear oil changes is around 60 bucks a diff or gearbox.

I believe the only difference on diff fluids is the limited slip additive for the non E locker rearend.

10. Oct 5, 2010 at 10:08 PM
    senna

senna Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose CA.
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAB TRD-OR OME shocks 885 and AAL
    If you have a OFF ROAD, then you have an E LOCKER, so the same as any open diff. It is the SPORT that had an Limited slip diff, they need additive to supplement the gear oil.

75-90 gear oil, syn is nice but not necessary.

Products Discussed in

To Top