1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speed & red light camera blockers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seataco, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Oct 5, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Be careful, you can get a ticket for this too.

2. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    MachoTaco10

MachoTaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    7.62 mm to the camera. make sure you are at least a half mile down the road though lol

3. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    tntacoma

tntacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    This whole show was busted to start with. Does anyone honestly think that if any of the measures Mythbuster tried worked, they would be allowed to show the results on T.V.? Didn't think so.

We had those *&%&*$%# cameras here in our town as well, busted quiet a few people, big public out cry and some local statistics on rear end collisions how they increased during the one yere they were installed.

We no longer have those cameras. Its a big lure for towns to put those in, the company supplies the cameras, does the monitoring, and maintenance. The town gets 50% of the revenue. Sounds like a good deal for the town, but not in the long run.

4. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I bought one of those license plate covers thats supposed to reflect the flash from the camera...only to find out that it was illegal in AZ :laugh:

I never installed it and just re-sold it on ebay for 5 dollars more than I paid :woot:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Just don't run a plate. :eek:

6. Oct 5, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    None....yet. :cool:

7. Oct 5, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    I've always wondered if those spray's work.. Where I live, those red light cameras print money. They started with 2, and before you knew it, they were all over the city.. I think we have 10 now with more on the way. Worst of all, they give you a ticket for taking a free right if you do not come to a complete stop. I know it is the law, but it seems a little overboard. They haven't got me yet, but I imagine it is just a matter of time...

8. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:24 AM
    supataco

supataco Shaq-enzy Falls

Member:
    First Name:
    Ichiro
    Oahu - Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010-SSM-AC-TRDSport-PreRunner
    -17" 4Runner Trail Wheels (265/70/17) -OEM Tube Steps -Tailgate Security Clamps -Trimmed Mudflaps -Bed Bar -Kobalt Box -Bed Mat -Toyota Mats
    You would hate living in Hawaii. You fart too hard while on the gas pedal and you'll be going waaaay over the 55mph freeway speed limits. =( Plus you get caught going 81+ or 30 over the posted speed limit n you can serve jail time here.

9. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:18 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a basic rule of due process if the judge ruled the only piece of evidence as inadmissible don't you automatically win? I mean, there is the whole innocent until proven guilty thing, right?

10. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:38 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Red light scameras are a big money maker in Albuquerque, the city was busted by a local radio station for speeding up the yellow light times. The scameras here also measure your speed as you go through the intersection so you can get a speeding ticket too! Because it's a civil penalty your right to appeal is greatly curtailed.
    The best defense is to go the speed limit and don't run red lights (you can tell I'm an old guy).

11. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:38 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Cause more accidents? I'd love to read the study behind this quote.

12. Oct 6, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
  13. Oct 6, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    RedDouble

RedDouble Member

Member:
    Atl
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Here in GA, state law was recently enacted to create a minimum safe time for yellow light duration. On multiple lane roads with a speed limit of 45mph the duration has to be at least 3.5 seconds.
    If there is a red light camera installed they must increase the duration by 1 sec.
    This has made the cameras way less profitable since they can no longer make the caution light so short it is impossible to stop in time. There are no more intersections without cameras as a result.

14. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I want them out. Those stupid things make me so paranoid :mad:

Thats why i avoid highway 6 in sugar land/missouri city...im always using back roads.

15. Oct 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    seataco

seataco [OP] Retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Donny
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Leer cab-height color-matched canopy, bed extender, bed mat
    OK ladies and gentlemen, I have a confession to make. The speed camera ticket for 26 in a 20 was issued while driving in my wife's Prius (it's difficult to keep those powerhouses under 26). Furthermore, I wasn't the one driving, she was - the ticket came to me because her car is in my name. She had never had a ticket before (still hasn't I suppose), has never been involved in an accident (she's been a licensed driver for over 40 years) and honestly thought the 20 mph enforement time had expired. There is a sign which says between 2:00 and 4:30, but she mistakenly read the 4:30 as 4:00 (eye exam anyone?). Also, there are a half dozen or so signs in a row just before entering the zone, each of which has a different message. It's quite difficult to read them all when whizzing by at 26. Furthermore, there IS a flashing light, that's activated during the 20 mph time period, at the point when entering the zone EAST bound, but NO flashing light for WEST bound drivers: unfortunately she was traveling west. Thankfully, there were no kids, or adults for that matter, to be seen, because their lives would surely have been at risk.

(A note to jpmorrisvb: my wife was an office secretary for 15 years at the school in this zone. In her defense, the camera was recently installed; she retired three years ago, before the camera. Then, the speed limit was 25 mph all the time. Come to think of it, 26 in a 25 is still speeding, so they have her any way you look at it).

Another oddity is the address on the payment envelope for this ticket is a PO box in Cincinnati, OH. Seems like a long way from Seattle to me. Besides the distance factor, the Cinci Reds are way, way better than the Seattle Mariners, which adds even more insult to injury.

Thanks for all the responses. The plate cover idea was just my initial, knee-jerk reaction - I would never do such a thing, and I'm certain that no TW members would ever consider doing something so under-handed. I will, however, be signing my wife up for a remedial driving course; she's obviously become a menace on the highways.

16. Oct 6, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    I just dont run a front plate...Seems like a simple enough solution for me in CT as all the redlight cameras here take a pic of the front end of your car. No plate = no ticket :)

17. Oct 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    http://www.publichealthlawresearch.org/public-health-topics/injury-prevention/motor-vehicle-injuries/evidence-brief/red-light-cameras-reduc

http://www.arlingtonpd.org/index.asp?nextpg=RedLight/FAQs.htm

http://www.stopredlightrunning.com/get_the_facts.htm

Problem with studies, they can prove whatever you need them to.

18. Oct 6, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    What's the big deal? If you don't run red lights then the cameras won't bother you.

Unless of course you start waiving your aclu card in public. ;)

19. Oct 6, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    For those of you that are complaining about traffic camera's in the USA.. just go to England, and you will rejoice at the almost nonexistence (by comparison) of cam's in the USA.

That said, I don't like them either... but it could be a LOT worse here, believe me.

20. Jul 13, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    deerslayer75

deerslayer75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD sport Dblcab Lngbed
    pop-n-lock, mcgard tailgate lock, chrome tube steps, bed extender, chrome brush guard, Fold a cover (G-4) tonneau, weather tech floor mats and rain gaurds, sock monkey: TRD 3rd brake light and whitetail decals, LED bed lights, blue map & dome, 3rd brake light and license plate LED mod, illuminated 4x4 switch, fishing rod holder mod, scangauge II, Remote start & alarm, TW sticker, Flyzeye cupholder light mod
    Ur waking up in a cold sweat? I teach in nj and Gov christie just F*(& us u know where with a big one! I will be losing $6,000 from my take home pay this year, they almost doubled what I have to contribute into my pension, I have to work an extra 10 yrs to collect it and the formula for what I get when I retire just went down to 55%.

Un f^&%ing believable it's like saying I'm going to wipe my A$$ then go take a Sh8t!

On the lighter side think of how many Mods that's going to cost me a year!

Products Discussed in

To Top