Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

sidesteps and sliders

Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
sernv99 is on a distinguished road
sernv99's Tacoma Gallery
sidesteps and sliders

I have a 2010 DC TRD Sport and I am looking at installing some type of side step or sliders on my truck, more for my g/f to get in and out of the truck (she is petite LOL). Searching on some past threads, it seems side steps are fine if you don't plan on doing any serious off-roading (e.g. they are stump catchers), and sliders are good to act as a "side step" and for offroading protection.

If I went with sliders, are the bars slippery? Can there be a material (ex. those stick on sand-paper like things you see stuck on stairs) added on the sliders where the doors are, to make it slip resistant?

My last thing would be slider/sidestep construction: I am interested in something that won't rust(including the brackets and bolts).

I don't do any serious offroading now but I do take my truck in fields to hunt and such. Down the road, I may take it serious offroading.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You can always line-x sliders so they're gritty and are durable, or use some sort of grip tape, etc. In theory, if you maintain sliders they won't rust. This may require the occasional sanding down and repainting down the road, depending on how much abuse your truck sees and how much salt it sees. I'm in New England and hate rust so I went with stainless steel step bars so I never have to deal with painting. I also do not plan on doing any off roading where I'll require sliders in the near future.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Alby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud of
Name: Alby
Alby9999's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up Avid weld on sliders for protection and steps. I am going to galvanize them and then line-x them. This will ensure they wont rust inside and out.

To keep from slipping, Line-x or bed liner paint should take care of this but if you want to you can add 3m non-slip tape to the sliders.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
i perfer the sliders. i added some grip tape so the step area was not so slick
Old 10-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
gotta hurt when ur leg slides past the tape no?
hrm?
no. my leg never touches the slider when i get in or out.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
with a 3" lift?
yup.

when i get in, i step on the slider with my left foot and lift my right leg over the slider and into the truck.

when i get out, i step down with my left foot past the slider to the ground and pull my right leg out over the slider.

the sliders on my truck only stick out about 2-3" which is just enough for you to step on.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
i got these demello square tube sliders. they are the best of both worlds they offer
protection, and make great steps. i love mine. they came powder coated.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
roadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant future

Name: Jessica
roadrashchic's Tacoma Gallery
aren't they called nerf bars? I'm only 5'2 and I lifted my truck 6inches... so I bought some... then realized that it didn't make any difference in jumping in my truck hahaha..

when I have time I was going to weld the brackets an inch or 2 longer so the bars would hang down a lil lower... buuuuut that never happened.. and I'm still waiting on that "time" to come.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
roadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant futureroadrashchic has a brilliant future

OH!! one time I saw these electronic ones on this wicked lifted ford truck.. that the steps would come out when you opened the door... .

you should get those!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Beefedtaco makes sliders and he is making a separate step that can bolt on.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
ASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to behold

ASH's Tacoma Gallery
I've got Avid bolt-on sliders and had them powdercoated. I don't off-road so, mine are really for door ding protection and steps. They work really well for both purposes:

Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
tomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomesd's Tacoma Gallery
Demello bolt ons here- had them line-ex'd for grip. When the bottom gets scuffed I just clean the scratch off, primer then herculine it. The top that shows still has the smooth unscuffed original line-ex so it looks the same as when I had them done originally. If I ever need to I'll just unbolt them, have them sandblasted and re coated but I don't think I ever will have to.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
jyeeah is on a distinguished road
jyeeah's Tacoma Gallery
why get sliders? give me more reasons to help ladies in my truck. gigity
Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #16

lol... yah I have the Westin bars
Old 10-07-2010, 02:35 AM   #17
muddog321 is on a distinguished road
muddog321's Tacoma Gallery
Big diff is that most steps simply bolt up to the body mounts under the rocker panels (look up under there and you will see the plugs in the body) while most real sliders are either welded to the frame or bolt to the frame. Some sliders require a few additional holes be drilled in the frame to complete the install. Sliders can be used to jack the truck up while steps cannot (well you could but they will bend!). There are many links with install pics and they will show you the amount the steps and sliders extend from the cab.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #18
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drade View Post
Wow. Those make great protection. I just ordered a TRD CAI and I was going to buy OEM side steps. Those are totally worth my next investment. They look great btw
they are very, very stout.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #19
USFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Medical
Name: Jeff
USFCON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH View Post
I've got Avid bolt-on sliders and had them powdercoated. I don't off-road so, mine are really for door ding protection and steps. They work really well for both purposes:

Question from my wife - Can a chick with heels on use these? Are they slippery? Line-x help with anti-slip?