1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

sidesteps and sliders

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sernv99, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Oct 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    sernv99

sernv99 [OP] Member

Member:
    northern VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I have a 2010 DC TRD Sport and I am looking at installing some type of side step or sliders on my truck, more for my g/f to get in and out of the truck (she is petite LOL). Searching on some past threads, it seems side steps are fine if you don't plan on doing any serious off-roading (e.g. they are stump catchers), and sliders are good to act as a "side step" and for offroading protection.

If I went with sliders, are the bars slippery? Can there be a material (ex. those stick on sand-paper like things you see stuck on stairs) added on the sliders where the doors are, to make it slip resistant?

My last thing would be slider/sidestep construction: I am interested in something that won't rust(including the brackets and bolts).

I don't do any serious offroading now but I do take my truck in fields to hunt and such. Down the road, I may take it serious offroading.

Thanks for any recommendations.

2. Oct 6, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    They are slippery but you can bedline them with herculiner and it has a traction additive. Or paint them and wrap them with skateboard tape.

3. Oct 6, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You can always line-x sliders so they're gritty and are durable, or use some sort of grip tape, etc. In theory, if you maintain sliders they won't rust. This may require the occasional sanding down and repainting down the road, depending on how much abuse your truck sees and how much salt it sees. I'm in New England and hate rust so I went with stainless steel step bars so I never have to deal with painting. I also do not plan on doing any off roading where I'll require sliders in the near future.

4. Oct 6, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    Alby9999

Alby9999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alby
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    07 AC TRD OR Impulse Red
    TRD Cat back exhaust 3" FR lift-AAL CAI-Ram air D rings Tail gate theft mod 4x4 illumination switch mod Redline hood struts Fogs on any time mod diff breather relocation mod 886 reverse light mod Wet Okole Avid weld on sliders LR UCAs Locker mod 115 in cab outlet 400w anytime
    I just picked up Avid weld on sliders for protection and steps. I am going to galvanize them and then line-x them. This will ensure they wont rust inside and out.

To keep from slipping, Line-x or bed liner paint should take care of this but if you want to you can add 3m non-slip tape to the sliders.

5. Oct 6, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    i perfer the sliders. i added some grip tape so the step area was not so slick

6. Oct 6, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    hrm?
    no. my leg never touches the slider when i get in or out.

7. Oct 6, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    yup.

when i get in, i step on the slider with my left foot and lift my right leg over the slider and into the truck.

when i get out, i step down with my left foot past the slider to the ground and pull my right leg out over the slider.

the sliders on my truck only stick out about 2-3" which is just enough for you to step on.

8. Oct 6, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    i got these demello square tube sliders. they are the best of both worlds they offer
    protection, and make great steps. i love mine. they came powder coated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Oct 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    roadrashchic

roadrashchic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black TRD Sport double cab
    Engine: K&N filter CAI Suspension: KING 2.5" Rem. Res. Ext. Travel Coilover w/Comp Adj (front and rear). Total Chaos Uni-Ball UCA’s and Deaver J66 1.5" Rear Leaf Pack. Tires: 285/75/16 BFG KO2's FUEL WHEELS D525 REVOLVER MATTE BLACK AND MILLED Exterior: Pelfreybilt sliders and hybrid front bumper/skid Front-runner Roof Rack, slim-line II, bed rack, tent, and 3 INCH LED 16W FLOOD LAMPS, (mounted to the hood via rentlentless fabrication mounts.) WishList: (pending soon..) bushwacker fender flares 40" LED bar winch rear high clearance bumper bigger tent with higher bed rack
    aren't they called nerf bars? I'm only 5'2 and I lifted my truck 6inches... so I bought some... then realized that it didn't make any difference in jumping in my truck hahaha..

when I have time I was going to weld the brackets an inch or 2 longer so the bars would hang down a lil lower... buuuuut that never happened.. and I'm still waiting on that "time" to come.

10. Oct 6, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    roadrashchic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    Engine: K&N filter CAI Suspension: KING 2.5" Rem. Res. Ext. Travel Coilover w/Comp Adj (front and rear). Total Chaos Uni-Ball UCA’s and Deaver J66 1.5" Rear Leaf Pack. Tires: 285/75/16 BFG KO2's FUEL WHEELS D525 REVOLVER MATTE BLACK AND MILLED Exterior: Pelfreybilt sliders and hybrid front bumper/skid Front-runner Roof Rack, slim-line II, bed rack, tent, and 3 INCH LED 16W FLOOD LAMPS, (mounted to the hood via rentlentless fabrication mounts.) WishList: (pending soon..) bushwacker fender flares 40" LED bar winch rear high clearance bumper bigger tent with higher bed rack
    OH!! one time I saw these electronic ones on this wicked lifted ford truck.. that the steps would come out when you opened the door... .

you should get those!!!

11. Oct 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    drade

drade BRUINS 4 LIFE

Member:
    ME
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Short Cab Silver
    TRD PRO skid plate, wet kole seat covers, tint all around, red line tuning quick Lift system, paint protection film, gloss blacked out OEM emblems, electric start, heated seats.
    Wow. Those make great protection. I just ordered a TRD CAI and I was going to buy OEM side steps. Those are totally worth my next investment. They look great btw

12. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Beefedtaco makes sliders and he is making a separate step that can bolt on.

13. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    ASH

ASH Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Off Road
    SnugTop Rebel Shell, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, Rear TSB, BFG A/T KO 265/75/16, Tranny TSB, WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Debadged (Sides), Black Badges (Tailgate), Avid Off Road Sliders, TRD Shoulder Pads, Factory Color-Matched Grille w/Blacked-Out Emblem
    I've got Avid bolt-on sliders and had them powdercoated. I don't off-road so, mine are really for door ding protection and steps. They work really well for both purposes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    tomesd

tomesd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Off Road DC 4x4
    '06 OR 4x4, HAC-DAC, VSC, TRD Supercharger/CAI, URD SpecU LT headers/exhaust, Snugtop XV, Frontrunner rack, OME 886's, Dakar HD springs, TC UCA's, TW DC DS, ATX Artilleries w/ BFG MT 285/70/R17's, CBI F/R bumpers, Downey skid, Demello sliders, Kenwood nav, JL audio system
    Demello bolt ons here- had them line-ex'd for grip. When the bottom gets scuffed I just clean the scratch off, primer then herculine it. The top that shows still has the smooth unscuffed original line-ex so it looks the same as when I had them done originally. If I ever need to I'll just unbolt them, have them sandblasted and re coated but I don't think I ever will have to.

15. Oct 6, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    jyeeah

jyeeah Active Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner
    why get sliders? give me more reasons to help ladies in my truck. gigity

16. Oct 6, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    roadrashchic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    lol... yah I have the Westin bars

17. Oct 7, 2010 at 2:35 AM
    muddog321

muddog321 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DCSB 4wd TRD w/e-locker Pyrite Mica
    TW 1-piece driveshaft with 1310 u-joints All Pro and Budbuilt skid plates OME Dakar rear springs 3" with 5100 5100 front set at 1.75" (3rd groove up) with stock springs Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R16 2018 TRD Offroad wheels 16x7J with +25mm offset Powerstop rotors with Z36 pads and rebuilt with OEM caliper kit Complete rebuilt rear brakes drums, shoes, springs, wheel cylinders Rebuilt rear and all wheel bearings front /rear Yukon 3.73 ring/pinion rebuild Denso 130A rebuilt alternator AGM 24F Battery New OEM idlers and tensioner assembly New AC compressor New PS hose and flushed Walker SS Quiet Flow muffler Denso Iridium long life plugs #3421 (SK20HR11) OEM coolant, cap, and thermostat NAPA CV axles and new seals ECGS bushing Rhino front guard Shortened mud flaps Alziria Black Tail Lights Nilight Headlights X-Bull Traction Boards Maaco full single stage paint job 2023 Nat CV to Knuckle seals 710573 New SKF wheel bearings/hubs BR930978 in 2024
    Big diff is that most steps simply bolt up to the body mounts under the rocker panels (look up under there and you will see the plugs in the body) while most real sliders are either welded to the frame or bolt to the frame. Some sliders require a few additional holes be drilled in the frame to complete the install. Sliders can be used to jack the truck up while steps cannot (well you could but they will bend!). There are many links with install pics and they will show you the amount the steps and sliders extend from the cab.

18. Oct 7, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    they are very, very stout.

19. Oct 27, 2010 at 11:33 PM
    USFCON

USFCON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence

Question from my wife - Can a chick with heels on use these? Are they slippery? Line-x help with anti-slip?

20. Oct 28, 2010 at 12:12 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.

Products Discussed in

To Top