Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6 speed manual, What gear do you use at what speed?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Although your RPMs are higher in first gear, you arent actually using more fuel than if you are applying more throttle in 6th gear to maintain the same speed. Lets say you are going 20 mph in first gear, high RPMs, but only using 30% throttle, you will be using less gas than if you were in 6th gear, at 1000 RPM, using 98% throttle. Think of it as using MORE fuel to go the SAME speed, thus, LESS MPGs
Although Ive never really tested this, I have always been told that low rpm's burn less fuel regardless of load. Im going to test this in a couple hours...
Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #22
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Although Ive never really tested this, I have always been told that low rpm's burn less fuel regardless of load. Im going to test this in a couple hours...
I'm with Chris....your injectors don't just dump fuel into the cylinders based on the pedal position.
I don't think you 'experts' have this figured out like you think you do.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #23
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it is all relative to throttle because lets say you are at 4000 RPM, but foot completely off the throttle, you are not burning any fuel. What really confirmed this for me is my scangauge because I always display engine load and throttle position sensor. With engine load as low as possible (I try to keep it below 60) and TPS as low as possible, I get the absolute best MPGs, and that includes being in low gear at given situations, such as going up a hill on the freeway: I down shift 4th, keep that engine load and TPS down, and I still maintain 16+ MPG
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #24
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
I'm with Chris....your injectors don't just dump fuel into the cylinders based on the pedal position.
I don't think you 'experts' have this figured out like you think you do.
tell me where I said I was an expert. I have been using a scangauge for 2+ years, and I have found what works for me maybe try doing some tests for yourself?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #25
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Going up the Cajon Pass many times in my manual Ranger I have learned that a lower gear does burn more gas. 4th gear would burn more gas even though I used less throttle than 5th gear with more throttle.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #26
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
EXACTLY!! I wish more people would understand this!

You could be going 25mph in 6th gear with your foot to the floor using WAY more gas than if you were rolling through a parking lot in 1st gear at 4k rpm
alot of the time i'm in 6th gear by 30 mph but thats when i'm on flat/downhill sloping roads and in no need of gasing it at all
Old 05-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #27
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Going up the Cajon Pass many times in my manual Ranger I have learned that a lower gear does burn more gas. 4th gear would burn more gas even though I used less throttle than 5th gear with more throttle.
how were you gauging how much gas you were burning?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #28
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
how were you gauging how much gas you were burning?
Scangauge instant MPG readout.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #29
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Scangauge instant MPG readout.
then your scangauge and mine are birds of a different feather. I reset current trip every time i go grapevine and I get 18 MPG, with LT, doing my style of shifting. And that is confirmed at the chevron pump by in-n-out after grapevine going north.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #30
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The last mpg test I did going up to the mountains (6% grade) showed 13.4 mpg in 5th, ans 10.8 in 4th, at 70 mph. I did this a couple times, and the results were the same all the time. Lower gear gave less mpg. Im going to try it on some flat ground here in a bit.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #31
Banned
Quote:
then your scangauge and mine are birds of a different feather. I reset current trip every time i go grapevine and I get 18 MPG, with LT, doing my style of shifting. And that is confirmed at the chevron pump by in-n-out after grapevine going north.
Also remember that I did this in a 5 speed 207hp 4.0 Ranger. I haven't tried in my Taco yet.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #32

FWIW, Even though you may be useing more skinny peddle in a taller gear, the throttle being open more increases the efficency of the engine, as pumping forces are reduced, as opposed to a lower gear, with the throttle partially open. The single biggest restriction in an engine is the throttle butterfly.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #33
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
The last mpg test I did going up to the mountains (6% grade) showed 13.4 mpg in 5th, ans 10.8 in 4th, at 70 mph. I did this a couple times, and the results were the same all the time. Lower gear gave less mpg. Im going to try it on some flat ground here in a bit.
You were probably at a good engine load at the hill. next time at that hill, look at engine load. If you are below 95, then you are still good, if you are about 95, inching towards 100, then down shift so you are around 80, which will improve mpg.

At the hills around Socal, I'd be in 6th, maintaining 70mph, and hit a hill, and watch engine load creep up to 98 load, giving me 8 mpg. downshifting to 4th, getting me back at around 85 engine load, puts me back at 15+ mpg
Old 05-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #34

Quote:
You were probably at a good engine load at the hill. next time at that hill, look at engine load. If you are below 95, then you are still good, if you are about 95, inching towards 100, then down shift so you are around 80, which will improve mpg.

At the hills around Socal, I'd be in 6th, maintaining 70mph, and hit a hill, and watch engine load creep up to 98 load, giving me 8 mpg. downshifting to 4th, getting me back at around 85 engine load, puts me back at 15+ mpg
The automatic downshifts when Im at 85% engine load. Even holding at 84% in 5th gear (with my boat hitched up), I see better mpg than when dropping down to 4th.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #35
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
The automatic downshifts when Im at 85% engine load. Even holding at 84% in 5th gear (with my boat hitched up), I see better mpg than when dropping down to 4th.
that is pretty interesting. there maybe other factors in my case, since I have a URD MAF and headers, I guess a different A/F map could make my case different. Next time I go back home for an extended period of time, i'll do some tests with my WRX, although and F/I vehicle is also a completely different creature
Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #36

Quote:
that is pretty interesting. there maybe other factors in my case, since I have a URD MAF and headers, I guess a different A/F map could make my case different. Next time I go back home for an extended period of time, i'll do some tests with my WRX, although and F/I vehicle is also a completely different creature
The MAF calibrator screws with the AF signal, so that could be the reason there is a difference. Comparing an FI to non FI engine is 2 different animals. If under boost, more fuel will be burned.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #37

Off to go do some tests now. Back to post findings in a while.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #38
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Highest possible manifold vacuum in any gear = highest mileage. Does not apply to a diesel.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #39
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Regardless of the MPG wouldn't you want to downshift to keep the engine load lower as to not wear out your engine prematurely?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
Regardless of the MPG wouldn't you want to downshift to keep the engine load lower as to not wear out your engine prematurely?
As long as the engine is operating within perameters, and oil pressure is good, increased wear isnt an issue.

Anyway, Im back and found that in every gear, at speeds from 30 mph, up to 70 mph, the taller gear yields the better mpg. And example....Second gear at 30 mph was about 21 mpg. and the MAF was getting 21 to 23 gps air flow. At the same spped in 4th, mpg went to 31, and the MAF was flowing 17 gps. the biggest difference was at 43 mph, where in 5th, I was getting between 35 and 38 mpg, and in 4th it dropped to 22. At 70 mph, 5th gear was getting 22, and 4th was at 19. Not a big difference, but I was also being hit with a 30 to 35 mph headwind.