Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6 speed manual, What gear do you use at what speed?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #41
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
As long as the engine is operating within perameters, and oil pressure is good, increased wear isnt an issue.

Anyway, Im back and found that in every gear, at speeds from 30 mph, up to 70 mph, the taller gear yields the better mpg. And example....Second gear at 30 mph was about 21 mpg. and the MAF was getting 21 to 23 gps air flow. At the same spped in 4th, mpg went to 31, and the MAF was flowing 17 gps. the biggest difference was at 43 mph, where in 5th, I was getting between 35 and 38 mpg, and in 4th it dropped to 22. At 70 mph, 5th gear was getting 22, and 4th was at 19. Not a big difference, but I was also being hit with a 30 to 35 mph headwind.
So is there a minimum RPM or other factor that you should always stay above to keep within the parameters?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #42
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
I use my 6-th Gear at 215km/h
Old 05-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #43
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
So is there a minimum RPM or other factor that you should always stay above to keep within the parameters?
I would say above idle....
Old 05-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #45
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Found this article linked from a MPG forum:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_110216/article.html

According to tests, the red zone gives you best MPG

The diagrams are based on a sample of 1995 model year, naturally aspirated, EFI 2-valve engines.

Quoted from conclusion of article:
Quote:
anything that allows you to keep the throttle open wider and the revs lower (like changing up to a tall gear and then holding it) will reduce fuel consumption because BSFC will be improved.
So I guess low rpm, high engine loads gives you more MPG?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #46
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wow, never seen a chart on it before
Old 05-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #47
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
wow, never seen a chart on it before
yea, i mean, who even does these tests? oh, and those black dots represent the engine load range EPA tests for MPGs at
Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
yea, i mean, who even does these tests? oh, and those black dots represent the engine load range EPA tests for MPGs at
Engine Load = Speed??
Old 05-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #49
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Engine Load = Speed??
no, engine load = The definition of BMEP is: the average (mean) pressure which, if imposed on the pistons uniformly from the top to the bottom of each power stroke, would produce the measured (brake) power output.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #50

Quote:
no, engine load = The definition of BMEP is: the average (mean) pressure which, if imposed on the pistons uniformly from the top to the bottom of each power stroke, would produce the measured (brake) power output.
Yo just pushed me in the Opposite direction of understanding...

Whats this have anything to do with brakes?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #51
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Yo just pushed me in the Opposite direction of understanding...

Whats this have anything to do with brakes?
lol, it has nothing to do with brakes, brake, in this case, means brake horsepower, and the mileage is being calculated as BSFC:

Brake Specific Fuel Consumption

So what’s Brake Specific Fuel Consumption? As with bhp (brake horsepower), this refers to the specific fuel consumption when the power is measured by an external brake – in other words, a dyno. Most times, 'brake specific fuel consumption' and 'specific fuel consumption' are the same thing.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #52
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
tell me where I said I was an expert. I have been using a scangauge for 2+ years, and I have found what works for me maybe try doing some tests for yourself?
I was referring to Macgyver...Wide throttle openings and lower revs are always going to provide better economy....A car mag did a mileage test on a BMW 325e (anyone here old enough to remember the 'eta' engines?) conclusion was short shifting and big throttle was much better for economy.
These are torque engines.
Rumbly, low-rev power is what they do.
Sure wish 6th gear was about 15% longer.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #53
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

so the absolute best mpgs are obtained with throttle wide open in the highest gear? basically if im going 5 mph in the parking lot, i should be pedal to the metal in 3rd gear?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #54
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so the absolute best mpgs are obtained with throttle wide open in the highest gear? basically if im going 5 mph in the parking lot, i should be pedal to the metal in 3rd gear?
Could be true, but my truck would be shuddering so much that I would think that it would implode....
Old 05-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
Could be true, but my truck would be shuddering so much that I would think that it would implode....
makes sense i guess
Old 05-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #56
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

oops, already found a counter-argument for BSFC:

http://www.cargather.com/engineering...cal-01435.html
Quote:
BSFC is a measure of how much power an engine can make from the BTUs given to it from the fuel. I hate to directly disagree, but it has almost nothing to do with MPGs. Especially at anywhere other than WOT since BSFC varies with dynamic compression. the actual compression at small throttle openings is quite different than at WOT and therefore the BSFC is almost unmeasurable due to its widely varying depending on load.

BSFC refers to combustion efficiency, NOT fuel efficiency. It has to do with how much power the engine extracts from the combustion, but has nothing to do with how much fuel the engine ingests. BSFC is probably the most misunderstood quality of engine operation. It is possible to increase BSFC by a large amount while reducing MPGs considerably and vice versa.

Your #2 is true of fuel efficiency, but not combustion efficiency. BSFC typically peaks at or about the torque peak at WOT, but drops off considerably as the throttle closes due to several reasons.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #57
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Ofcourse not. Best mpg under a load is achived in a taller gear, with more throttle. Obviously, the BEST mpg is going to be given with the least amount of work the engine has to perform to move the vehicle. For example, I can get 35+ mpg at 43 mph, but thats not practical on the freeway, and you cant maintain that speed on city streets.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #58

Quote:
Ofcourse not. Best mpg under a load is achived in a taller gear, with more throttle. Obviously, the BEST mpg is going to be given with the least amount of work the engine has to perform to move the vehicle. For example, I can get 35+ mpg at 43 mph, but thats not practical on the freeway, and you cant maintain that speed on city streets.
Well... Technically... You could....
Old 05-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #59

Quote:
Well... Technically... You could....
Depending on red lights, and impacts resulting from running them, then sure....
Old 05-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #60

Quote:
Depending on red lights, and impacts resulting from running them, then sure....
Get Lost in a Traffic Circle??