Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6 speed manual, What gear do you use at what speed?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #61
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Get Lost in a Traffic Circle??
We dont have those here.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #62
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
We dont have those here.
They make life so easy, rarely ever have back ups
Old 05-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #63
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Best mpg under a load is achived in a taller gear, with more throttle. Obviously, the BEST mpg is going to be given with the least amount of work the engine has to perform to move the vehicle.
so wide open throttle at the tallest gear, while maintaining the same speed, = best mpgs?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #64
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
so wide open throttle at the tallest gear, while maintaining the same speed, = best mpgs?
If under a load, yes. If just criusing on the freeway, unloaded, then things change.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #65
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wind force on the vehicle increased exponentially as you increase in speed
Old 05-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #66
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Although Ive never really tested this, I have always been told that low rpm's burn less fuel regardless of load. Im going to test this in a couple hours...
I think instantaneously, you would be using less fuel. But because your engine isn't working very efficiently, you'll use more over the long run if you're trying to accelerate.

So say you're rolling along at 20 mph. If you were in 3rd and punched it, you'd quickly get up to speed to shift into the more efficient gearing (e.g. 6th). In 3rd, you'd be closer to the torque peak which is the most efficient fuel/power ratio. The instantaneous mpg would be lower than if you were in 6th at 20mph, but it's going to take much longer to get up to a more efficient speed since the engine is bogged down.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I think instantaneously, you would be using less fuel. But because your engine isn't working very efficiently, you'll use more over the long run if you're trying to accelerate.

So say you're rolling along at 20 mph. If you were in 3rd and punched it, you'd quickly get up to speed to shift into the more efficient gearing (e.g. 6th). In 3rd, you'd be closer to the torque peak which is the most efficient fuel/power ratio. The instantaneous mpg would be lower than if you were in 6th at 20mph, but it's going to take much longer to get up to a more efficient speed since the engine is bogged down.
You! Evil Monkey! I Require some of your merchant wares
Old 05-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #68
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
You! Evil Monkey! I Require some of your merchant wares
Que?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #69

Quote:
Que?
Zombie Stickers
Old 05-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #70

Quote:
Zombie Stickers
Que? I think you have wrong monkey. Sockmonkey is probably who you're looking for.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #71

Quote:
Que? I think you have wrong monkey. Sockmonkey is probably who you're looking for.
Sigh... I always grab the wrong monkey
Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #72
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Found this article linked from a MPG forum:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_110216/article.html

According to tests, the red zone gives you best MPG

The diagrams are based on a sample of 1995 model year, naturally aspirated, EFI 2-valve engines.

Quoted from conclusion of article:

So I guess low rpm, high engine loads gives you more MPG?
Interesting....You learn something new every day.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #73
Wally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wally's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneh39 View Post
I recently upgraded from an 2001 5 speed v6 to a 2007 v6 6 speed. I have never had a 6 speed and was wondering how you drive your manual? Not really sure what gear I should be cruising in for the best MPG. I have noticed I rarely use the 5th gear unless accelerating. Heres what I have been doing in general.

25-30mph 3rd
35-45mph 4th
50-70+ mph 6th gear

assuming no hills

This about normal? Just so used to cruising in fifth it feels so odd not to use it much at all.
The recommended shift points are listed in your manual ... I started using them as an experiment and they were a little different than what I was picking naturally by "feel".

The recommended shift points are around 2200/2200/2100/2000/1900 RPM I think but I'm guessing a little, I don't feel like going outside and looking them up. So in general shift low in the RPM range and let the low end torque accelerate you instead of revs and each shift happens a little lower than the previous one. It also seems to match up with the chart that was previously listed for fuel consumption.

Bottom line is to ignore trying to keep up with automatics off of the line, everyone that drives one seems to bury the throttle while the natural pace of these trucks is to build speed a little more slowly.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #74
Wallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard:
Wallygater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneh39 View Post
I recently upgraded from an 2001 5 speed v6 to a 2007 v6 6 speed. I have never had a 6 speed and was wondering how you drive your manual? Not really sure what gear I should be cruising in for the best MPG. I have noticed I rarely use the 5th gear unless accelerating. Heres what I have been doing in general.

25-30mph 3rd
35-45mph 4th
50-70+ mph 6th gear

assuming no hills

This about normal? Just so used to cruising in fifth it feels so odd not to use it much at all.

I don't even look at the tach while I'm driving unless I'm hammering it. I shift in normal driving according to feel. I shift when I want to. The true beauty of a manual trans. Control.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #75
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallygater View Post
I don't even look at the tach while I'm driving unless I'm hammering it. I shift in normal driving according to feel. I shift when I want to. The true beauty of a manual trans. Control.
exactly.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #76
skiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
skiracer0112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They make life so easy, rarely ever have back ups
They do work really well when people who know how to use them are driving. But when they are installed in a tourist area where most people visiting have never seen one they cause huge backups.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #77
Older Guy
Smardt Turbocor is a jewel in the roughSmardt Turbocor is a jewel in the roughSmardt Turbocor is a jewel in the rough
Name: Galen
Smardt Turbocor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
EXACTLY!! I wish more people would understand this!

You could be going 25mph in 6th gear with your foot to the floor using WAY more gas than if you were rolling through a parking lot in 1st gear at 4k rpm
I don't buy that last statement. It's all about engine and load and gear relationship. The issue is: What is the least rpm we can have doing the work that needs to be done without overloading the engine ? First gear at 4K IS consuming A LOT of fuel. Not exactly my permanent parking lot gear,
Old 08-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #78
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smardt Turbocor View Post
I don't buy that last statement. It's all about engine and load and gear relationship. The issue is: What is the least rpm we can have doing the work that needs to be done without overloading the engine ? First gear at 4K IS consuming A LOT of fuel. Not exactly my permanent parking lot gear,
lol did you read the whole discussion? a lot has been covered since that statement was made
Old 08-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #79
savedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gerald
savedone's Tacoma Gallery
6 gear for 35mph and above as long as it is not being lugged.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #80
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery