Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6 speed manual, What gear do you use at what speed?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
shaneh39 is on a distinguished road
shaneh39's Tacoma Gallery
6 speed manual, What gear do you use at what speed?

I recently upgraded from an 2001 5 speed v6 to a 2007 v6 6 speed. I have never had a 6 speed and was wondering how you drive your manual? Not really sure what gear I should be cruising in for the best MPG. I have noticed I rarely use the 5th gear unless accelerating. Heres what I have been doing in general.

25-30mph 3rd
35-45mph 4th
50-70+ mph 6th gear

assuming no hills

This about normal? Just so used to cruising in fifth it feels so odd not to use it much at all.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #3
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
this is rocket science
Old 10-07-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
I try to keep it under 2000rpm, ideally at 1500rpm when just keeping a steady speed and its not straining the engine.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
jester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jester156's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jester156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priddle View Post
I try to keep it under 2000rpm, ideally at 1500rpm when just keeping a steady speed and its not straining the engine.
pretty much same here.
although i rarely use 3rd. 1, 2, 4. I do a lot of rural driving so speed is always low, HW is always 6th.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
Simms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
Simms65's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Simms65
I'm not 100% sure about the mph right now, but I try to keep the RPMs as low as possible, shifting under 2k unless I need to accelerate quickly. If I'm cruising at ~35mph or higher and don't have to climb hills I'm always in 6th.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I'm hard core....everywhere I go I use 6th
Old 05-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
Nucks4TheCup is on a distinguished road
Nucks4TheCup's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester156 View Post
pretty much same here.
although i rarely use 3rd. 1, 2, 4. I do a lot of rural driving so speed is always low, HW is always 6th.
I've only started driving manual last year. Why do you skip 3rd gear? WHen I test drove the 6 speed 1st gear seemed pretty useless as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms65 View Post
I'm not 100% sure about the mph right now, but I try to keep the RPMs as low as possible, shifting under 2k unless I need to accelerate quickly. If I'm cruising at ~35mph or higher and don't have to climb hills I'm always in 6th.
Do you save gas driving in 6th when possible?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
Simms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
Simms65's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Simms65
Lower RPMs = lower fuel usage provided you are light on the skinny pedal.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
mpg is a function of engine load and throttle, not necessarily RPMs
Old 05-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I shift mostly by feel. If the engine feels like it's lugging or reving too high, I'll switch. The user's manual gives recommended shift points for the best fuel efficiency.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucks4TheCup View Post
I've only started driving manual last year. Why do you skip 3rd gear? WHen I test drove the 6 speed 1st gear seemed pretty useless as well.

Do you save gas driving in 6th when possible?
I usually skip gears as well (mostly 4th to 6th). I skip because the speed I'm at is usually sufficient to warrant it. I tend to rev higher to get up to speed quicker, taking advantage of the engine's higher torque at higher rpms (torque peak is about 4200 rpms). It doesn't hurt anything.

1st gear is pretty tall. It's useful when towing or slow offroading. Larger tires makes it a little more useful for day to day.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
ne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shedne0tas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erick Iglesias
ne0tas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808matt View Post
this is rocket science
This.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
mpg is a function of engine load and throttle, not necessarily RPMs
EXACTLY!! I wish more people would understand this!

You could be going 25mph in 6th gear with your foot to the floor using WAY more gas than if you were rolling through a parking lot in 1st gear at 4k rpm
Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #15
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota says 127 MPH in 5th haven't tried it yet.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #16
kb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to behold

Name: Rick
kb1jop's Tacoma Gallery
Shift @ 2000 rpm...

Start in 1st [obviously,] then @ 20 mph for 2nd, 30 for 3rd, etc. Every 10 mph matches the gear# @ 2000 rpm. Just remember:

2 for 20
3 for 30
4 for 40
5 for 50
6 for 60

this is also an easy way to tell what gear you're in just by looking at the tach and speed, in case you forget.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #17
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I usually skip gears as well (mostly 4th to 6th). I skip because the speed I'm at is usually sufficient to warrant it. I tend to rev higher to get up to speed quicker, taking advantage of the engine's higher torque at higher rpms (torque peak is about 4200 rpms). It doesn't hurt anything.

1st gear is pretty tall. It's useful when towing or slow offroading. Larger tires makes it a little more useful for day to day.
x2 on this. 5th and 6th are so close it doesn't make sense most times for me to use 5th.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #19
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
EXACTLY!! I wish more people would understand this!

You could be going 25mph in 6th gear with your foot to the floor using WAY more gas than if you were rolling through a parking lot in 1st gear at 4k rpm
I disagree...can you back this up?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #20
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
I disagree...can you back this up?
Although your RPMs are higher in first gear, you arent actually using more fuel than if you are applying more throttle in 6th gear to maintain the same speed. Lets say you are going 20 mph in first gear, high RPMs, but only using 30% throttle, you will be using less gas than if you were in 6th gear, at 1000 RPM, using 98% throttle. Think of it as using MORE fuel to go the SAME speed, thus, LESS MPGs

EDIT: I used to follow the low RPM = saves gas movement, however, what I have found to work best is choose the gear which allows you to use as LITTLE of the skinny pedal as you can. That means being in second gear to go up a hill rather than being in 4th, just so that skinny pedal doesnt have to hit the floor.