1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel weights – Steel vs. factory alloy – 16”

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JJK, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Oct 7, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    JJK

JJK [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 DC
    TrueTrac Limited Slip
    Hello All,
    Does anyone know the weight difference between the factory steel and factory alloy wheels for 2nd gen Tacoma trucks?
    I just went with a heavier tire and at the same time finally installed some allow wheels I got used last year. I am wondering if the lighter wheel will off-set the heavier tire (old tire =38lb, new tire = 46lb).
    Thanks!
    JJK

2. Oct 7, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Alloys are typically lighter than steel, and aftermarket alloys are typically even lighter...but I don't know the actual numbers.

3. Oct 7, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    if you get actual number i think you are going to be disapointed the alloy metal is much lighter but if you look at the amount of alloy in comparison to the amount of steel that was there the alloy takes up a lot more space. good luck with it plus does it really matter? you feel any difference in the breaks?

Products Discussed in

To Top