Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Painting the grille

Old 10-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #41
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Came out awesome man, do you feel like doing a super white one.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #42
Xshark will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
Xshark's Tacoma Gallery
Nicely done. I'm currently Satoshi-ing my grill. I am unsure whether to leave the chrome or paint it.

If I don't like the chrome, painting looks easy. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #43
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xshark View Post
Nicely done. I'm currently Satoshi-ing my grill. I am unsure whether to leave the chrome or paint it.

If I don't like the chrome, painting looks easy. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Came out awesome man, do you feel like doing a super white one.
Thanks guys! It definitely is pretty easy, but not easy that I'd do another one any time soon, lol... well, not for free any way
Besides, I think someone posted that the superwhite Duplicolor isnt an exact match.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #44
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
Besides, I think someone posted that the superwhite Duplicolor isnt an exact match.
That was me but I'm pretty picky... I ordered superwhite paint from paintscratch.com. I put a post up about their service and will put pictures up once I finally get around to painting my grille.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #45
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
hey op where did you buy all your paint from????? cost for everything primer paint clear????
Old 10-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #46
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
hey op where did you buy all your paint from????? cost for everything primer paint clear????

Got everything from pep boys. I bought a bunch of other stuff at the same time, so exact cost for this project i'm not sure, but it was about 45.00 +/- a couple dollars.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #47
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

where did you paint this??? look like there wasnt any dust otr particles
Old 10-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #48

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
where did you paint this??? look like there wasnt any dust otr particles
Some of it was sprayed outside, and some inside the garage. If it wasnt windy, I did it on the lawn, but once the wind picked up the following day, moved it in to the garage.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #49
Hot Steppa

wow any particles or rubbish in the paint hard to tell from the pics
Old 11-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #50
Hot Steppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
I'm editing this initial post a little to make it more DIY friendly.

Background; I ordered a Grillcraft mesh piece a few days ago, which will be here on Monday. In the meantime, I wanted to get a head start on the grille so that it'll be done in plenty of time. Once the GC piece gets here, I'll be able to just install it and enjoy it, w/ a little less chrome surrounding it And that was my main goal. To rid the grille of the chrome. I just didnt think it fit real well.

Heres the products that I used:
All DupliColor products. The Color code I used for Indigo Ink was 8P4. The trim paint is only for the center section if you're doing the satoshi step.

If you're doing a flushmount grillcraft, the "satoshi" step is optional. I didnt want to be able to see the oem center section behind the grillcraft, so I cut this part out. I used a fellow members writeup on this section. His thread is located here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...shi+grillcraft

Before I did anything, I removed the top weather stripping. Very easy step that only takes a minute to do. Once the grill is out, just squeeze the uderside of the clips and press them through. This is it, removed.

I started out by cutting out the center section of the grille. From there, I went ahead and sanded the chrome finish down. After trying a few different grits, I wound up using 150 grit paper since it made quick work of the chrome and didnt leave deep gouges. Fwiw, I also think it looks pretty damn cool, b/c after sanding, it gave the appearance of a brushed alum. piece, which I thought looked pretty trick

At this point, I did the "satoshi'ing" of the center section. Totally optional for the purposes of this writeup.

After that was all done, I was ready to get back to the project at hand. I used some lime green, 3M painters tape and taped up the inner section, corner faux mesh and around the outside of the area being painted. Take your time w/ this step, especially around the corner faux mesh, so you dont get overspray in there. After it was all taped up real good, I wiped the sanded chrome down w/ prepsol (not pictured in the first pic, but it should be available at your local pepboys, etc) and proceeded to spray 2 coats of DupliColor Adhesion Promoter. I did relatively thin coats. A heavy coat isnt necessary.
This only gave it a duller finish, as the AP goes on relatively clear.

At this point, I was ready for some primer. 3 Coats of DupliColor Sand-able primer, all about 10 minutes apart.
This pic was halfway through applying the coats of primer.

I gave the piece about 50 minutes to dry (can of primer suggests a min of 30 mins) and went ahead and wetsanded the piece w/ 1000 grit ws paper.

The piece is now super smooth and ready for the paint. I sprayed 4 initial coats, allowing 10-12 minutes between coats, then, let the 4th coat dry for about 1 hour. I wetsanded w/ 1500 grit paper, and then after it was all dry, went ahead w/ one last coat, a little heavier than the initial coats, but obviously not nearly enough to cause drips/runs/etc. Heres the last pic before clearing it.

I let the base paint dry for a few days. Not necessary, but I had a lot going on. You should be able to spray the clear after a few hours of letting the base paint cure.

For the clearcoat, I sprayed 3 light coats to start, all 10 minutes apart. I sprayed a 4th coat, heavier than the previous ones. This really helps to give a much glossier appearance. Also, try to avoid letting the clearcoat dry in the sun. Shade, or indoors would be ideal. Sun can cause premature curing, resulting in some hazing of the finish.

Heres a shot after the clear has dried.

Now, heres a few pics of it installed and how it matched up to the oem paint.

imo, I think it turned out great. It matches the front bumper Very well, and as expected, the hood has more gloss and clarity, but paint color is right on. I'll try to get more pics once the sun shows its face again, but I finished this evening about 6:15 and we have some weather rolling in, so I didnt get much sun to snap pics w/.

Let me know if you guys have any questions!!
where did you buy your duplicolor perfect match from
Old 11-29-2010, 02:37 AM   #51
earlbooms is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Shawn
earlbooms's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great man, and thanks for the write up. I can't wait to do this!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #52

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
wow any particles or rubbish in the paint hard to tell from the pics
Quote:
where did you buy your duplicolor perfect match from
Nothing in the paint. Just spray it in a controlled area or if outside, little to no wind.
Bought the paint from Pep Boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbooms View Post
Looks great man, and thanks for the write up. I can't wait to do this!
Thanks! Glad it was helpful
Old 01-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #53
TaCoMaS is on a distinguished road
TaCoMaS's Tacoma Gallery
how did you get the area behind the grille to not be easily seen?
i can see through my new grille pretty easy and its the same as yours, any tips?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #54
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
spray behind the grille with hi temp black spray paint
Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #55
TaCoMaS is on a distinguished road
TaCoMaS's Tacoma Gallery
does it effect the radiator or oil filters or whatever is there?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 AM   #56
CanTac is on a distinguished road

CanTac's Tacoma Gallery
There is a small shot in my Avatar.

CanTac

Hal
Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #57

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaCoMaS View Post
does it effect the radiator or oil filters or whatever is there?
No ill effects. Just use a flat black paint and spray the ac lines, radiator or any other silver colored areas that you want black and hidden.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #58
Bosworth5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBosworth5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBosworth5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBosworth5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBosworth5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBosworth5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBosworth5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBosworth5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBosworth5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBosworth5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBosworth5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Bosworth5's Tacoma Gallery
For anyone in socal, this place will do any color code mix and put it in a can for you. Its located in Mission Viejo, Ca

http://ocpaintstore.com/
Old 02-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #59
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
So i was looking at Autozone yesterday. The toyota black dupli color is different from BSP isnt it? at 6 bucks a can i would much rather get this than 20 bucks a can from online.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #60

Law Enforcement:
check the paint code on the can against the paint code on your truck.