Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Painting the grille

Old 10-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Painting the grille

I'm editing this initial post a little to make it more DIY friendly.

Background; I ordered a Grillcraft mesh piece a few days ago, which will be here on Monday. In the meantime, I wanted to get a head start on the grille so that it'll be done in plenty of time. Once the GC piece gets here, I'll be able to just install it and enjoy it, w/ a little less chrome surrounding it And that was my main goal. To rid the grille of the chrome. I just didnt think it fit real well.

Heres the products that I used:
All DupliColor products. The Color code I used for Indigo Ink was 8P4. The trim paint is only for the center section if you're doing the satoshi step.

If you're doing a flushmount grillcraft, the "satoshi" step is optional. I didnt want to be able to see the oem center section behind the grillcraft, so I cut this part out. I used a fellow members writeup on this section. His thread is located here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...shi+grillcraft

Before I did anything, I removed the top weather stripping. Very easy step that only takes a minute to do. Once the grill is out, just squeeze the uderside of the clips and press them through. This is it, removed.

I started out by cutting out the center section of the grille. From there, I went ahead and sanded the chrome finish down. After trying a few different grits, I wound up using 150 grit paper since it made quick work of the chrome and didnt leave deep gouges. Fwiw, I also think it looks pretty damn cool, b/c after sanding, it gave the appearance of a brushed alum. piece, which I thought looked pretty trick

At this point, I did the "satoshi'ing" of the center section. Totally optional for the purposes of this writeup.

After that was all done, I was ready to get back to the project at hand. I used some lime green, 3M painters tape and taped up the inner section, corner faux mesh and around the outside of the area being painted. Take your time w/ this step, especially around the corner faux mesh, so you dont get overspray in there. After it was all taped up real good, I wiped the sanded chrome down w/ prepsol (not pictured in the first pic, but it should be available at your local pepboys, etc) and proceeded to spray 2 coats of DupliColor Adhesion Promoter. I did relatively thin coats. A heavy coat isnt necessary.
This only gave it a duller finish, as the AP goes on relatively clear.

At this point, I was ready for some primer. 3 Coats of DupliColor Sand-able primer, all about 10 minutes apart.
This pic was halfway through applying the coats of primer.

I gave the piece about 50 minutes to dry (can of primer suggests a min of 30 mins) and went ahead and wetsanded the piece w/ 1000 grit ws paper.

The piece is now super smooth and ready for the paint. I sprayed 4 initial coats, allowing 10-12 minutes between coats, then, let the 4th coat dry for about 1 hour. I wetsanded w/ 1500 grit paper, and then after it was all dry, went ahead w/ one last coat, a little heavier than the initial coats, but obviously not nearly enough to cause drips/runs/etc. Heres the last pic before clearing it.

I let the base paint dry for a few days. Not necessary, but I had a lot going on. You should be able to spray the clear after a few hours of letting the base paint cure.

For the clearcoat, I sprayed 3 light coats to start, all 10 minutes apart. I sprayed a 4th coat, heavier than the previous ones. This really helps to give a much glossier appearance. Also, try to avoid letting the clearcoat dry in the sun. Shade, or indoors would be ideal. Sun can cause premature curing, resulting in some hazing of the finish.

Heres a shot after the clear has dried.

Now, heres a few pics of it installed and how it matched up to the oem paint.

imo, I think it turned out great. It matches the front bumper Very well, and as expected, the hood has more gloss and clarity, but paint color is right on. I'll try to get more pics once the sun shows its face again, but I finished this evening about 6:15 and we have some weather rolling in, so I didnt get much sun to snap pics w/.

Let me know if you guys have any questions!!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great so far. Keep us posted! I may follow your steps when I do mine.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future

REVHARD25's Tacoma Gallery
Its a pain in the butt..but well worth it if it works out
Attached Thumbnails
Painting the grille-picture-new-grill.jpg  
Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
I moved the info from this post to the first one.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
looking good!

here's how I did mine. I didnt wanna mess with sanding and waxing and all that. I used rustoleum spray on bed liner

Old 10-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
where are you getting your colormatched paint? assuming you are colormatching
Old 10-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Blank
TucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TucsonMike's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 10-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
silverback's Tacoma Gallery
I see what your talking about with the brushed aluminum look. I like it!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #10

Law Enforcement:
Thanks guys!

Blackhawke88, I'm using an off the shelf duplicolor paint. ANother member told me it was a VERY close match. I'll also be sure to post plenty of pics once I install it, so everyone can see how close (or not) it matches. Iirc, it was paint code 8P4. I'll post the actual paint code when I see the can again. I'm sure it'll be slightly off (compared to the hood), b/c even professional resprays can differ in color tone when sprayed on plastics vs metals, for whatever reason. (at least thats my experience from my last couple of trucks)
Old 10-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 10-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #13
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
did you use this man>>>>

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T%7CGRP2050___
Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
charles will become famous soon enough
Army:
Name: Charles
charles's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin pretty good!
Old 10-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #16
samhain will become famous soon enoughsamhain will become famous soon enough
Name: Brandon
samhain's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great. I'm going to be doing this soon myself. Thanks for the write up and keep us posted up to the finished project!
Old 10-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #17
ycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedycart1201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
ycart1201's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd...

Nathan
ycart1201
Old 10-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #18
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
If one wanted to leave it as a brushed aluminum look, what finishing steps would one have to do? ie, fine sand it? Clear coat it?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #19
FJ Cruiser
KEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kurt
KEG'sTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to KEG'sTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
looking good!

here's how I did mine. I didnt wanna mess with sanding and waxing and all that. I used rustoleum spray on bed liner

So, you just sprayed it directly onto the grille? If so, how is it holding up?
Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #20

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
Yep, thats the stuff!