Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

CV boot coming off...grease everywhere

Old 10-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
CV boot coming off...grease everywhere

Getting an alignment done now and mechanic shows me the passenger side CV boot is loose and grease has spit everywhere. I already had an appt with Toyota for an unrelated issue in 2 weeks but doubt I can get in sooner. Assuming I can get a new clamp, what's involved to do this myself? Grease I need etc?

Toyota will just tell me it happened when I had the lift put in. I don't want to leave it too long

Thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I went round and round with this problem. You're supposed to use a moly high temp grease but I couldn't find it. I just pumped it up with about half a tube of Mobil 1. I can't remember the amount it's supposed to hold (9 oz maybe?) but I do remember it worked out to be about half a tube. Get one of those flexible tubes for the grease gun. It makes it way easier. Get some new clamps. I bought crappy repair clamps and the problem just kept re-occurring. Eventually I got some of the good clamps that require the 15ish dollar tool to install. That was about a year ago and I haven't had a single problem since.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
fubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jose
fubar718's Tacoma Gallery
You can just by a complete kit from toyota, comes with boot, 2 clamps and a packet of grease. if the boot is torn at any section you are going to have to remove the axle out of the car to get the new boot on.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
fubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jose
fubar718's Tacoma Gallery
yeah removing the ball joint to get the axle out could suck. I would definitely go with an OEM kit. just for the fact it comes with everything you need, including the correct amount of grease. to much its going to leak out or tear the CV, to little will burn up the CV