1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrade In Brakes?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WATacoRider, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    so I have the OEM brakes on my TRD Sport. Towing my old Lund boat was a breeze, since the package weigh roughly 5-600lbs at most. And with a full bed of camping gear, going and stopping with no problem.

But with my newer boat, I definately feel the lack of brakes... The package weighs roughly ~1700-1800lbs and slowing down at times make me nervous.

Original brakes with 44K miles. What to get?

2. Oct 9, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    I would just upgrade the front to Wilwood 6 Piston Calipers and the rear to 4 Piston Calipers...but that cost tons of $$$...

cheapest route is to get stainless steel brake lines, DBA 4000 Series Slotted Rotors <-click for link, Endless S-Four DOT 4 Brake Fluid <-click for link...those are what I have picked up for now until I got enough $$$ to do a full front/rear upgrade...:thumbsup:

hope that helps you out...

3. Oct 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    I dont want any slots or crossdrill. They wear down pads and generally doesnt improve performance.

I was thinking of some SS lines, some kind of pad and maybe new rotors if need be. But so many to choose from. I would like silent brakes too.

4. Oct 25, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    always heard good things about hawk pads

5. Oct 26, 2010 at 4:30 AM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    x2

6. Oct 26, 2010 at 4:35 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Besides Hawk pads, a lot of people said the SS lines make a big difference.

7. Oct 26, 2010 at 5:38 AM
    valleythunder

valleythunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dahlgren, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC/LB
    I am now towing a 20' Skeeter bassboat (5000#). With gear and otherwise I'm close to the limit.

I would not shy away from a set of slotted and cross-drilled rotors, when it comes time to replace the O.E. The absolute BEST thing you could do first is replace the brake lines with braided stainless units. I did mine when I lifted my truck (3") and it was night and day difference.

8. Oct 26, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I would stay away from cross drilled...They can crack under quick heat/cool cycles (like driving down hill into water on the trails...) but slotted do improve heat control which is at least part of the heavy load braking problem.
    Start with pads, SS lines, and DOT4 and go from there. If you still don't like it- Try rotors. Then try to rebuild the system.

Does your new boat trailer have trailer brakes??

9. Oct 26, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Not sure where you are at with trailer brakes / Controller. The better ones have 4 modes or so for braking based on the weights %s and dual pendulums for accurate voltage inputs. If not part of the issue then never mind.

10. Oct 26, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    fatsac

fatsac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Millbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC Offroad
    Katz Leather, heated seats, Tint, KN Filter, OME 887, Camburg UCA, Dakar packs, 17x9 XD, 295/70 Toyo MT w cab mount chop, fender massage, Weathertechs, Black PC steps, skidplate, 2012 grill, Bushwacker painted flares, Nearly every TSB you can think of, TRD quickshift, All-Pro front w/ Skids, 9k winch, Tonneau cover, voodoo tailgate cap...
    For those who upgraded to stainless lines, did you use Goodridge or Russell?I have Russell on my bike with no complaints.

11. Oct 26, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    My bike has goodridge and a set waiting to go on the truck. Tecknafit for my scion.

12. Oct 26, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Where'd you end up buying them? I found a set on Autoanything, along with Hawk pads but haven't searched too seriously as I won't do this for a few more months most likely.

13. Oct 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I got the ones for the truck thru Wheelers Offroad as part of all the lift stuff I ordered.

Products Discussed in

To Top