Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

...and I was planning to leave it stock.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Gentle Ben is on a distinguished road
Air Force: TACP
Gentle Ben's Tacoma Gallery
...and I was planning to leave it stock.

After fighting the urge to not modify my truck for the last several months, I realized I simply can't leave well enough alone. I put 5500 miles on it in stock form, so that shows a small amount of self-control, I suppose...

Anyway, I didn't like the weak and wheezy intake/exhaust sound, so today I bought an AFE Pro Dry S air filter, and a TRD Catback system. I didn't want anything obnoxious, but I want to be able to hear it when I get on the gas, so I figured that combo would deliver. Considered a CAI, but the stock box is already drawing air from the fender, so I'm going to leave it for now. Might try to retrofit a smooth tube from the box to the manifold, but that's not a priority right now.

Got a set of Toyota roof rails too, because I've already taken a trip where I ran out of bed storage and could've used a roof rack.

Took off the stock running boards that came with the truck, and I like the clean profile much better.

Next mods will be a set of All Pro rock sliders and a TRD Supercharger. Last vehicle I had was a supercharged E55 AMG, and I miss the torque positive displacement s/c delivers, although I know the Taco won't be anywhere near what the AMG was, but should still make the driving experience more fun. Might do the CAI once I have the s/c...gotta do more research to see if it would be worth it with f/i.

After that a mild suspension lift, larger tires, bumper upgrades, winch, other things that would make the truck more capable offroad or after a hurricane.

ETA: order for the AFE filter, exhaust, and rails placed on 10/10/10.

AFE from Streetside for $59.xx shipped.

TRD Catback exhaust from Toyota of Richardson for $357.xx shipped;
Toyota stowaway roof rack from Toyota of Richardson for $240.xx shipped.

I was originally going to order the exhaust and roof rack from TRDParts4U due to many good reviews I've read of them on here. I'd rather pay a few more $$ to support a company with a proven rep for good service, than deal with some cutthroat with shitty service. FWIW, the exhaust from TRDParts was $390 and the roof racks were $222. The fact that Richardson was $15 less was trivial, but when I got to the shipping, TRDParts4U wanted almost $190!!!! (That was regular shipping plus truck freight.) I also found a few good reviews of Richardson on here, so I'm hoping things go smooth. Richardson offered free shipping, but had a note that there might be shipping charges on larger items such as exhausts, so we'll see if they 'modify' my charges retroactively. Even if they do, it will likely still be significantly less than TRDParts4U.

Will update this thread when the items arrive.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Ha!!
I said the same thing, the wife laughed and she was right
Old 10-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Shaq-enzy Falls
supataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ichiro
supataco's Tacoma Gallery
Bleh! I hope this doesn't happen to me when I clock 5500. I said the same thing, but I only have 200 miles on my truck right now O_O.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
and welcome to TW! Its like an addiction, be sure to make a build page!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Resisting the urge to mod your truck is like telling your wife she can only have one pair of shoes.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
tomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomesd's Tacoma Gallery
There will be more stuff after that- trust me! I've got at least 12 k worth of stuff and was thinking about on board air and a kenwood/garmon nav in dash the last few days. The S/C was my favorite I think but I would do all the others again in a second!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
thanks all!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
kwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kwalton's Tacoma Gallery
Been looking into the supercharger myself. Maybe I can get a ride when you get yours. I'm in the south Florida area as well.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
I will try to get some pics when I install the exhaust. Shouldn't be too difficult, with the low miles. I do Cerakote refinishing of firearms at my shop, so I'm thinking about Cerakoting the exhaust tip black.

kwalton, no problem. If I do it, I'll post it up here, and you can get in touch with me and check it out.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
Shaq-enzy Falls
supataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ichiro
supataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppham444 View Post
Resisting the urge to mod your truck is like telling your wife she can only have one pair of shoes.
OMG, I'm gona print this for her.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by supataco View Post
OMG, I'm gona print this for her.
LOL...I don't restrict my wife's shoe consumption, so hopefully she won't object too much to what I do with my truck. I've pointed out modded Tacos to her on the street, and she said they look good, so I'm going to take that as implicit permission from her.

Today when I told her about the mods I'm doing, she smirked and said she wasn't surprised.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
wife told me ok you got the truck and the undercover tonneau for it...that should be good for now....well now turned into new speakers in doors addin speakers to the rear vent visors which are on backorder as of now. lookin at all kinda wheels for it just havent made my mind up yet. probably wanna do the grill eventually too and tires and and and and ...........
Old 10-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
tomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomesd's Tacoma Gallery
Wives will bring that Shiite up later men- they'll act like it's ok but it is never water under the bridge. As long as the disposable mad money is there and she gets some of it it works out!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
Crap, I forgot about the stereo upgrades. Would definitely like to have better sound in this truck, but I think I'd rather have performance mods first.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #16
dieselstaco is on a distinguished road

dieselstaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppham444 View Post

That my friend is a legendary quote!!!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #17
iSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
iSTIZO99's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking forward to seeing this s/c too! There's always something new to add to the truck. My biggest problem is keeping my conscience in line, but being on TW is like playing with fire.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #18
These things are about as upgradeable as an AR15.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
tomesd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Ben View Post
My girl about lost it one month when she saw a significant amount of $$$ dedicated to AR15 stuff!!! You are so right, if you can think of it you can get it. I keep a Stag superlight under the back seat!
Old 10-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #20
lazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garry
lazaro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Ben View Post
That is what other members of the gun forum I frequent to said. Tacomas are the AR 15 of the truck world.

Its impossible to resist the urge to do mods. The only limit is time and money. We are doomed.... in a nice way .

Pics are greatly appreciated.