Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil Filters Through the Dealer...

Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Oil Filters Through the Dealer...

I've been paying $5.99 per filter from the dealer and after seeing some of the prices on-line for OEM filters I was tempted to go that route. I called the parts dept. at the dealership and told them if they couldn't give me some type of deal I'd buy them on-line. The guy askes...how much do you want them for? Long story short he's now selling them to me for $4.50 each. I found this kinda interesting...
Old 10-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered some parts from toyotapartsbarn.com. they are charging $4 (plus shipping though)
Old 10-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, you shouldn't have to pay more than $5 for an OEM filter.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
local dealer had a coupon for $4 filters...i stocked up on 10 of them!!
Old 10-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My dealer seels them to me for 3.99....
Old 10-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
lazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garry
lazaro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
I've been paying $5.99 per filter from the dealer and after seeing some of the prices on-line for OEM filters I was tempted to go that route. I called the parts dept. at the dealership and told them if they couldn't give me some type of deal I'd buy them on-line. The guy askes...how much do you want them for? Long story short he's now selling them to me for $4.50 each. I found this kinda interesting...
Thats a good price right there, I might try that route on my next visit with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Now that is an even better number. Pls do tell how you get it. I bet you do Jedi mind tricks. Jedi waves hand " These oil filters are $ 3.99 just for you"
Old 10-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaro View Post
Now that is an even better number. Pls do tell how you get it. I bet you do Jedi mind tricks. Jedi waves hand " These oil filters are $ 3.99 just for you"
LMAO!! I always ask them to give me the "Coupon price" .....and they do it.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
That is a great deal Chris! I got the dealership to come down on the oil drain plug gasket from $1.50 ea to $1.00 (still a rip off.) What kind of deal are you getting on them?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Nobody said you had to buy filters from your local dealer.

There are plenty of dealers online who would love to sell you filters for less. PRICE SHOP!! Shop around on the different toyota forums also. I purchased a full case of filters (3 years ago) from a dealership in Texas for under $4 each. No sales tax and minimal shipping.

But yeah...you can bargain with dealerships especially when your 'armed' with online prices and/or quotes from other dealerships. Some dealerships will honor just about anything just to get your business. Others...not so much.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
That is a great deal Chris! I got the dealership to come down on the oil drain plug gasket from $1.50 ea to $1.00 (still a rip off.) What kind of deal are you getting on them?
Yeah...They charge a buck for them here, but I say "Hey...Arent you gonna throw that in with the filter?" and they usually do. If not, you can get them at an Ace hardware, or any Auto part store.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Nobody said you had to buy filters from your local dealer.

There are plenty of dealers online who would love to sell you filters for less. PRICE SHOP!! Shop around on the different toyota forums also. I purchased a full case of filters (3 years ago) from a dealership in Texas for under $4 each. No sales tax and minimal shipping.

But yeah...you can bargain with dealerships especially when your 'armed' with online prices and/or quotes from other dealerships. Some dealerships will honor just about anything just to get your business. Others...not so much.
X2.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #12
gooberpeas is on a distinguished road

gooberpeas's Tacoma Gallery
ummm, I buy filters at the dealer and they come with the drain plug gasket in the box....same for the 4Runner filters too.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
Taco11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Taco11's Tacoma Gallery
Wow.. I got boned... I payed $6.99.. no gasket.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberpeas View Post
ummm, I buy filters at the dealer and they come with the drain plug gasket in the box....same for the 4Runner filters too.
That is because your dealer is honest, the rest of them pull the gasket out and sell it.

I ordered filters on eBay and they all came with a washer in each box
Old 10-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #15
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
My dealer charges $3.88/ea so they're cheaper than all the ones from Kragen or Autozone.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #16

update:
Well, I finally went to the dealership to get the case of filters and gaskets. I tried the chris4x4 method and said ..."aren't ya gonna throw those gaskets in with the filters"? I guess I wasn't too convincing... he just just looked at me and said those gaskets cost $1.50 each!
I talked him down to 50 cents ea. and ended up getting the case of filters and gaskets for $50.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #17
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
i get them at a local toyota dealer 2 for 7.00
Old 11-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #18

Quote:
update:
Well, I finally went to the dealership to get the case of filters and gaskets. I tried the chris4x4 method and said ..."aren't ya gonna throw those gaskets in with the filters"? I guess I wasn't too convincing... he just just looked at me and said those gaskets cost $1.50 each!
I talked him down to 50 cents ea. and ended up getting the case of filters and gaskets for $50.
Not a bad saveings!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #19
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
i got a box of 10 for $75... damn canada and your high cost of everything...
Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #20
scott504 will become famous soon enough
scott504's Tacoma Gallery
10 ea. for $35

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...Q5fAccessories