Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

06 Tacoma Driverside Rear Door Won't Open

Old 10-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
ncsutj is on a distinguished road
ncsutj's Tacoma Gallery
06 Tacoma Driverside Rear Door Won't Open

My driverside rear door lock wasn't locking or unlocking so I figured the actuator was bad. I took the lock assembly off today to figure out how to replace the actuator. When I put it back together I apparently didn't get everything back together right because now the door will not open at all. It appears that it's not releasing the latch. Anyone know how to get the door open. I've tried reaching inside the door and pulling the piece down that normally opens the door.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
crutch024 is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
crutch024's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the same problem, did you ever figure out how to get the door open?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
There are no dumb questions....

The child lock is not the issue (i have messed with it numerous times). I have been able to remove the plastic door panel, but I cannot figure out how to get it open....
Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
hansolo2005 is on a distinguished road
hansolo2005's Tacoma Gallery
1st of all, I disagree with "there's not such thing as a dumb question." Such a thing does exist. Child safety lock prevents door from opening from the inside, not the outside. It's problably safe to assume OP tried opening from the outside.

OP, how were you able to remove the door panel with the door closed. How were you able to unsnap the bottom without distroying the panel.

Anyways, I had the same problem. I was able to unlatch the door by pull a lever through the window opening. What I mean is, the window must be down, look down directly through the open, between the felt strips. You'll probably have to remove the driver side passenger door latch and study the movement of the latch. It was a bitch and a half but somehow I was able to unlatch the door. Just be patient. It was a biatch and half.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
ncsutj's Tacoma Gallery
My problem started when the door wouldn't open electronicly only manually by flipping the look. I took the latch/lock mechanism out and took it apart to try to figure out why it wasn't opening. Put it back together and put it back in the door. I didn't get it put back together right and after putting it back in the door the door wouldn't release the catch. So I took the other door apart and studied it to see what needed to be pulled to relese it. I basically pulled everything from that side out of the truck including the seat and behind the seat storage thing and was able to get the door panel off. I drilled a hole in the door frame behind the door panel and got luck that the lock mechanism housing broke whenever I was putting pressure on it drilling. I was then able to reach the release and open the door. Had to buy a new lock from the dealership for $200.

Now my passenger side rear door isn't unlocking electronicly. I'm assuming its the same issue but I dont really want to spend another $200 for the part.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Thanks ncsutj! Any chance you could post a picture of where you drilled?

Scott
Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
ncsutj's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry don't have any pics. If I remember correctly it was closer to the door jam side of the lock maybe 2/3 of the way down from the top. Just kind of guessed where based on the one on the other door.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
NotAnOriginalID is on a distinguished road
NotAnOriginalID's Tacoma Gallery
Had same problem, here's hot I fixed it!

So I had the same problem just finished fixing it with help from several other sources and figured I'd give a summary of how I did it since it ended costing me nothing but a mini-hacksaw, a trip to the junk yard and some epoxy glue.

Both locks on the left side would only lock or unlock but not do the two which was pretty annoying. I found this source on how to remove the actuator and how to fix the electrical motor.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4...ocks-free.html

The only thing that went wrong is I didn't put the actuator back together properly so the rear left door wouldn't open anymore.

To fix it, I measured from the right rear door and drilled a hole big enough to access the bracket and cut it off with a hacksaw. Once I got it cut, it was only a matter of putting the actuator back together properly. I also fill the hole with epoxy. See pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
06 Tacoma Driverside Rear Door Won't Open-tacoma-door-intside.jpg   06 Tacoma Driverside Rear Door Won't Open-tacoma-door-outside.jpg