Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Chains or Cables for snow

Old 10-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
DCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Chains or Cables for snow

I have a 2011 Double Cab Prerunner and have read about not using chains because of clearance but have also seen some posts that the clearance isn't an issue if properly installed.

Im looking at Z6 cables
http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_sz6.html

Is there any other cables I should consider? I live in SoCal but snowboard a lot and go to Mammoth sometimes. I have never had to install chains on my personal vehicles but Highway Patrol does require it at times, the times I didn't have to do it was because I had a 4x4 which I no longer have.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
i hope whatever you get you dont throw them on the front wheels only...
Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
DCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
I was planning on getting two sets for all four wheels and if its very light snow and required to chain up by highway patrol I would probably just put on the rears instead of all wheels.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGirl View Post
I have a 2011 Double Cab Prerunner and have read about not using chains because of clearance but have also seen some posts that the clearance isn't an issue if properly installed.

Im looking at Z6 cables
http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_sz6.html

Is there any other cables I should consider? I live in SoCal but snowboard a lot and go to Mammoth sometimes. I have never had to install chains on my personal vehicles but Highway Patrol does require it at times, the times I didn't have to do it was because I had a 4x4 which I no longer have.
I've never heard of clearance issues with chains when using them on Tacomas.
I use cables and they work great, they are cheaper, but aren't as durable as chains. But would be good if you're only using them once and a while.
I don't know much about the different companies, I purchased mine at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a 2 Wheel drive truck putting chains or cables on the front aren't going to help much. I'd just get a set for the rear wheels. We get snow up here once or twice a year that is deep enough to require traction devices and cables seem to work fine. With a truck you can just go to Home Depot and get some sand bags and throw them in the bed right over the axle and that will help a lot.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
SHould have gotten a 4x4
x2.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
If you have a 2 Wheel drive truck putting chains or cables on the front aren't going to help much. I'd just get a set for the rear wheels. We get snow up here once or twice a year that is deep enough to require traction devices and cables seem to work fine. With a truck you can just go to Home Depot and get some sand bags and throw them in the bed right over the axle and that will help a lot.
Sounds like I should stick to the 1 set and I am considering doing the sandbags. The 2wd Tacoma definitely feels different from the 4x4 truck I use to have. I may be driving with sandbags most of the winter.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
You can cut those bags open and use the sand for traction too!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
VTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shed
VTDave's Tacoma Gallery
If you go with chains, get low profile ones. The wheel well liner and mudflaps are closer to the tires than you might believe. Ask me how I know.

It only becomes a problem when you have some snow/ice build-up inside the wheel well, which often was the case for me during a wet snow.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
Pickett is on a distinguished road
Pickett's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same truck but an 06. Bought the 2wd in the south before moving to Maine. All you need are some good AT tires, and a couple of hundred pounds of sand in the back and you're golden
Old 10-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickett View Post
I have the same truck but an 06. Bought the 2wd in the south before moving to Maine. All you need are some good AT tires, and a couple of hundred pounds of sand in the back and you're golden
The sandbags I can definitely do, the tires im not so sure. Since I would have to drop close to $800 for the tires. Unless I can sell the stock tires.... I hear the stock tires are crap though. I'll have to find some empty lots when it starts snowing and practice driving with the stock tires. If it scares the hell out of me then I have no choice but to buy the AT's. I use to drive 18-wheelers and 10 speed trucks with tanks that had the near indestructible tires, I remember how important tires are but with the big down payment I just put down on the truck I don't think I should buy tires for another 3-4 months.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
You can cut those bags open and use the sand for traction too!
had to do that once up near lake tahoe lol

as far as cables...i bought a brand new set and had to take them back 2 days later...they broke after i drove 5 miles! had to buy some from the chain guys along the highway and pay out the a$$.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #16
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Some cable chains in the rear and sand in the bed and you will be good. I've driven in 2 feet of snow with a 2 wheel drive truck with no problems. Take it easy on the gas, no big steering adjustments, give yourself a lot of room for braking and don't hammer the brakes and you will be good.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #17
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGirl View Post
The sandbags I can definitely do, the tires im not so sure. Since I would have to drop close to $800 for the tires. Unless I can sell the stock tires.... I hear the stock tires are crap though. I'll have to find some empty lots when it starts snowing and practice driving with the stock tires. If it scares the hell out of me then I have no choice but to buy the AT's. I use to drive 18-wheelers and 10 speed trucks with tanks that had the near indestructible tires, I remember how important tires are but with the big down payment I just put down on the truck I don't think I should buy tires for another 3-4 months.
The fact that they are new should help get you through the first year or so with the added weight.

Not to pile on, but having had a 4 wheel drive in the past, i'm surprised you didn't go that route again. Not real familiar with DC weather though, or how it is affected by all of the hot air that comes out of that area.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #18
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
had to do that once up near lake tahoe lol

as far as cables...i bought a brand new set and had to take them back 2 days later...they broke after i drove 5 miles! had to buy some from the chain guys along the highway and pay out the a$$.
woah...they broke!? that sucks...what brand were they? crap maybe I should get the chains instead, I just have to be careful with the snow/ice buidling up, I have had that happen when I lived in colorado and driving through utah
Old 10-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
The fact that they are new should help get you through the first year or so with the added weight.

Not to pile on, but having had a 4 wheel drive in the past, i'm surprised you didn't go that route again. Not real familiar with DC weather though, or how it is affected by all of the hot air that comes out of that area.
Yeah I know, i wanted the 4x4 but I live in SoCal, the only time I see snow is when I go snowboarding, that happens about once a week when the season starts. I read that the LSD works better on the 09+ Tacoma's unless I completely misread it so I thought maybe it won't be too bad.Especially after reading some people had Prerunners in areas where they get real snow. More MPGs, less maintenance costs for me. Although the RWD is pretty different from the 4x4 I had and the FWD cars, has a nice turning radius though
Old 10-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #20
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
Some cable chains in the rear and sand in the bed and you will be good. I've driven in 2 feet of snow with a 2 wheel drive truck with no problems. Take it easy on the gas, no big steering adjustments, give yourself a lot of room for braking and don't hammer the brakes and you will be good.
What brand cables chains did you use?