1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pedal recall...what are effects of the override system?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Veccster, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Oct 11, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Sorry...I can't find many threads on this.

My dealer is insistently pushing me to have them complete the gas pedal and override recall.

I have Weathertech floormats and will NOT allow them to cut the pedal down. I'm stubborn and like it just the way it is. HOWEVER, they strongly recommend that I at least put in the override so the truck will not fall victim to Sudden Acceleration Syndrome (SAS :)).

Are there any negative effects to this?

What about holding the brake while accelerating at a stop light or in off-road settings?

2. Oct 11, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    If there are no ill effects, I think I'll have them put one in. I'm positive I would know what to do in that situation but I can't say the same for my wife. Though I have told her what to do, some women don't handle intense situations real well.

3. Oct 11, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    If you plan on putting in a super charger soon, don't do it. I have read that the computer cannot be re-flashed for the super charger after the software upgrade for the gas pedal/brake over ride.

4. Oct 11, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You should probably either say a) that your wife doesn't handle intense situations real well or b) some people don't handle intense situations real well....cause woman aren't the only ones with issues.

I don't plan on getting it done to my truck- Way too many questions about the whole Sudden Accel thing....It's not broke don't fix it.

5. Oct 11, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    They said it was optional and I declined the flash. Why? Cause on hills I've been known to keep one foot on the brake till the truck starts pulling so as to prevent it rolling slightly backwards into the idiot who just pulled up too close behind me.

No other truck is set up like this so why the hell should only Toyota's have it?

One thing I'll tell you that I will not do is phone somebody and tell them my truck is out of control on the freeway and there is only a half a mile left of road instead of just popping it into neutral.

6. Oct 11, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    SubFrozen

SubFrozen r00t

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Sandy, UT
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco SR5 V6
    3" OME Heavy Duty Lift, 18" Chrome Rimes, ARB Front Bumper, K&N Cold Air Intake
    I declined the installation. I like control. ;)

7. Oct 11, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    A stroll through the WTF thread will show you that some people are just idiots. Calling 911 to tell them your truck is out of control is stupid.

But worse yet is not having time to do that. If it happens on a back road, you're wrecking before you even pick up the phone.

And your thought is exactly why I am resisting it. I use my brake on hills or at red lights to get a fast start. But the dealer tells me it will not affect the ability to do that. They say it only kicks in when the vehicle is traveling over 15mph. And I can't recall a time that I needed to use my brake and accelerator at the same time while traveling over 15mph.

But I am looking for confirmation of that. Dealers are idiots and will tell you anything to get something done.

8. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Read Bluetacomans post above .

9. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    They didn't explain that to me. Good thing anyway cause some day I may do the S/C.

Again no other truck is set up like this so I don't see the point cause one person didn't know how to drive and ended up killing himself and his family.

10. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    rhavin42

rhavin42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SPORT 4x4
    I played with it a bit once they did the recall on my truck. Here's what I did
    I was on an onramp to freeway throttle about 1/2
    Applied brake lightly, nothing seemed to happen.
    Depressed throttle to about 3/4 still had my left foot lightly on brake, nothing happened
    Depressed brake so the pads actually started to grab
    about 1 second like this and engine cut power and I started to stop

11. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    I tried this yesterday and the brake over ride did nothing for this situation. Having the brakes on and the gas is just like before.

12. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Exactly what I was looking for...thank you! I don't see this feature affecting my driving habits at all. I think I'll have it done next time I'm in.

And no, I do not plan to install a supercharger - ever.

13. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    MC1983

MC1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB
    So if we do get a supercharger that requires an ECU flash down the line, how will the dealership handle it? Will they get us a new ECU because their recall flash is not compatible?

I am not planning on getting a SC anytime soon, but would still like the option if I chose install one down the road.

14. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

I'm gonna 2nd this ^^^ they aren't going to leave the OEM supercharger as something that will remain incompatible .

15. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    The problem is not with supercharger, problem is that recall flash f...ks up your ECU. :D Not sure how they goign to fix that make recall on recall :rolleyes:
    New supercharger software won't fix that.

rather unlikely

16. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    My point is they cannot leave this issue un-resolved .

17. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Why not ??? Toyota can have new ECU and new Software for 2012 and up...
    05-11 will get screwed.

18. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Well , I guess only Toyota can say for sure , but I think if this is a prevelant problem , they would want to address it , you may not agree .

19. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    RobbKruger

RobbKruger Wasting away in the frozen North

Member:
    First Name:
    Robb
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    Access Bed cover, Access tailgate gasket, OEM Roof Rack, Garmin 780 12V bed outlet mod 120V in the console mod "Don't steal my tailgate" mod Yakima Lowrider rack mounted to OEM rack with Thule Cascade XT carrier Avid Arctic bar SOON TO COME - OME 885 lift kit
    I have no empirical evidence to support this... but after the pedal shave (no complaint there) and turning down the offer to replace the floormats (I have rubber TRD Off Road mats, but did sign the waiver), they did the reflash... and it seems to me the slow speed shift issue is back. First drive is that the truck seems to hunt for that lower gear again going around corners and such.

Anyone noticing a similar response?

20. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    rhavin42

rhavin42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SPORT 4x4
    I saw the exact opposite. Mine shifts correctly now, no more dropping down into first when i go around a corner

Products Discussed in

To Top