1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DTRL Twist-Cheap and Better for Me

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fjm0008, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Oct 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    So I reviewed Pierced Tigers Cheap DTRL and he kindly provided me with some information so I could improve on what he has already done. Here is his thread:

I wanted Day Time Running Lights for a little more visibility without the headlights on and to be a bit different. [​IMG] There's another one on TN by Toku that uses the OEM DTRL relay, but that cost $50 and they turn off when the headlights come on. I like the looks of this way better, and it was free!

Followed the idea here, but did it simpler.
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t164710.html

I didn't buy the adapter he did. I just stripped half an inch off the wire, twisted it, folded it in half and jammed it in the 3rd hole with the harness unplugged from the bulb assembly.

Parts/tools needed:
    • wire strippers/pocket knife/teeth [​IMG]
    • 4-5ft of wire (to be safe, not sure how much I used. cut to fit)
    • 2 quick splices
    Splice into green wire on the running lights (small lights outside corner of headlight assemble), pull the rubber plug out of the 3rd hole on the turn signal plug, unplug the bulb harness, jam the stripped end of wire in that hole, seal with glue (hot melt, silicon, whatever), and plug it back onto the bulb assembly.

Wire in third plug.
    th_DSCF1839_e5512d90b79ffdd445667d5edc4cb756c97b0b22.jpg

Lights on
    th_DSCF1251_792ee6ac80ab4512a2db3c24f2c922513bf66153.jpg

Here is what I changed:
    In his mod the lights did not come on without turning on the parking lamps and did not operate like DTRL's as the taillights are also on and the big kicker for me is the dash lights dim. This makes it difficult to see the stereo and the overhead console during the daytime. So here is what you do. Get an add a circuit (10 amp fuse is fine) and put it in the second position from the left of the second row on the fuse box. I ran the wire to it next to the main harness in the firewall. This is a switched circuit that comes on when the key is in the on position. Then instead of wiring the DTRL wire to the green wire of the outside running lamps, splice your two wires together and connect them to the wire running to your add a circuit. You can run your right side along the fender and then use plastic wire ties along the back at the top of the firewall, and splice everything together in the left rear corner near the firewall where your add a circuit wire comes through. The result is this:
    When you start your vehicle you get DTRL on the lower setting, not as bright as the factory DTRL. This I think may be a good thing as it may prevent some of the lens melting issues. I know others prefer them brighter, but this mod is under $10.00. When you turn on the parking lamps it looks the same as PT's bottom photo.

2. Oct 11, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    Cool.
    good job!

3. Sep 24, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    Fjm008 Can you point me to the right page on TN by Toku that uses the OEM DTRL relay? Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top