LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

canadian tacoma options

Old 04-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
simooner is on a distinguished road
simooner's Tacoma Gallery
canadian tacoma options

from pricing a tacoma in canada the packages only come in the sport towing package with a limited slip rear end. idid not see a trd offroad pkg with a locker, can you only get the one pckg up here in canada and how do people like the limited slip compared to the locker. thanks in advance for all answers
Old 04-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen TRD Offroads in Canada, but they appear to be either an 05 or 06 model. You could try asking the dealer if it's possible to special order one, but you may have a bit of a wait time before they recieve it.

As for the locker vs limited slip, if this will primarily be a street truck you'll want the LSD and if you're looking at seriously offroading it you'll want the locker.

My opinion is that LSD is far more useful for street performance. The truck launches harder from a standstill and you don't have to worry about having one wheel spinning on slick pavement, loose gravel or ice until you finally inch far enough forward to get decent traction like you would with an open diff (and the locking diff is an open diff when unlocked). In these cases an LSD is useful because it will transfers power to the wheel with the most traction, whereas an unlocked/open diff will transfer power to the wheel with the least. Also, a locker is pretty much useless in these situations because you're not going to drive around on the street with the locker engaged, and by the time you do engage it you could've inched your way forward enough that you won't need it anyway.

An LSD is also useful for towing, particularily if you tow a heavy boat and want to pull it back up a wet launch. A locker will also help you get back up the ramp but it's not as useful for general towing since you can't drive around with your diff locked.

As for offroad performance, a locker will be a big help if you're into rock crawling or mudding* (not much desert around Newcastle I'd imagine), since in the former you can frequently have one wheel off the ground and in the latter both wheels can have next to no traction even though both are burried in the ground. In these cases a locker has the advantage because it transfers equal power to both wheels regardless of traction (or lack thereof). Also, for technical offroading a locker is great because it gives you more control over your rear wheels, so you'll be able to better control your vehicles speed and grip over a harder obstical.

So in the end it comes down to choosing the right tool for the job. If you want maximum street performance and will only do some mild offroading then a locker is a waste and you'll wish you had the added street performance of an LSD... but if you're planning on seriously offroading this truck then an LSD will only have you wishing you had the added offroad performance of a locker.

* Note: By mudding I mean real mudding and not simply driving through dirty water... there is a difference... a big difference.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
natrlyst will become famous soon enough

natrlyst's Tacoma Gallery
Actuall the off-road package is available in Canada but it is not available in a package with the four door model truck as they assume if you want such a long truck you wil not be using it for off-roading. It is only available in the two door versions. You are able to pay extra for the rear locker if you want it in place of the LSD. The TRD Sport package in Canada comes with all of the other goodies of the off-road package (skid plates etc.) but includes a limited slip rear in place of a locker and comes with sport tuned bilsien shocks in stead of off-road tuned shocks, ie, the shocks are the same but tuned differently for different uses.

Hope that helps and if there is anything further you would like to know about the canadian packaging, pm me,
Old 04-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrlyst View Post
Actuall the off-road package is available in Canada but it is not available in a package with the four door model truck as they assume if you want such a long truck you wil not be using it for off-roading. It is only available in the two door versions. You are able to pay extra for the rear locker if you want it in place of the LSD. The TRD Sport package in Canada comes with all of the other goodies of the off-road package (skid plates etc.) but includes a limited slip rear in place of a locker and comes with sport tuned bilsien shocks in stead of off-road tuned shocks, ie, the shocks are the same but tuned differently for different uses.

Hope that helps and if there is anything further you would like to know about the canadian packaging, pm me,
The Sport also doesn't come with front a tow hook....f*ckers.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
natrlyst will become famous soon enough

natrlyst's Tacoma Gallery
I agree but that is a very easy mend.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Huge Member

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrlyst View Post
I agree but that is a very easy mend.
$140CAD for a factory hook.

You can also install the normal $10 hooks you can find at various automotive stores, but they don't bolt in strait so they twist when you pull and they stick out far enough that you can bend them on rocks and such.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
Seventy1 is on a distinguished road
Seventy1's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think the sport package includes the skid plate, it's extra$$.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:56 AM   #9
Seventy1 is on a distinguished road
Seventy1's Tacoma Gallery
I guess even if it's an old post, it didn't take long for someone to notice a comment on it.