Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

No tow package, can I still tow trailer??

Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
Atxtoolz is on a distinguished road

Atxtoolz's Tacoma Gallery
No tow package, can I still tow trailer??

Hello guys I have a 05 double cab prerunner with out tow package, can I just add tow hitch and pull trailer?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
yep, I tow with mine using a hitch I put on myself without any issues. You'll need a wiring harness for lights also and a brake controller if your trailer has brakes.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Is there any difference in the truck? I mean.. are the numbers they quote the difference between towing with a bumper ball vs the class III?

If you install a hitch, you should be good as anything else. Unless its an automatic. Then, well.. be careful if its heavy.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
taco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
taco206's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
jharkin is a jewel in the roughjharkin is a jewel in the roughjharkin is a jewel in the roughjharkin is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jeremy
jharkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
Is there any difference in the truck? I mean.. are the numbers they quote the difference between towing with a bumper ball vs the class III?

If you install a hitch, you should be good as anything else. Unless its an automatic. Then, well.. be careful if its heavy.
The factory tow package also includes transmission and engine oil coolers - I'm going to take a guess that is the main reason why they allow a higher tow rating.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
ReidStylez will become famous soon enough
Name: Reid
ReidStylez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
The factory tow package also includes transmission and engine oil coolers - I'm going to take a guess that is the main reason why they allow a higher tow rating.
They also include wiring for trailer brakes which helps with the higher tow rating.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
RevoTaco will become famous soon enough
RevoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tow...ing-bible.html

Get some popcorn and read away. Everything you need to know.

But I quoted the tow package differences below for you.

This “towing package” consists of a class IV receiver hitch, supplemental engine oil cooler, transmission cooler (again automatic transmission only), Heavy-Duty battery, 130 amp alternator, fully functional 7-way round plug, and a plug and play brake controller pigtail.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
txmxer is on a distinguished road
txmxer's Tacoma Gallery
Our tacoma came without a tow package and we had a hitch added, as well as transmission and engine oil coolers and helper bags for what we were towing. Had no problems towing our trailer.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Our tacoma came without a tow package and we had a hitch added, as well as transmission and engine oil coolers and helper bags for what we were towing. Had no problems towing our trailer.
Did you use factory oil cooler and transmission cooler? How much did it cost?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #11
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post

the bumper is only rated for 3500 LBS where with factory tow package it’s rated at 6500lbs. the bumper is not as strong as a class 3 hitch.(the metal of the bumper it self is not as strong or thick as whats used for a hitch.)

also WITH the factory tow package it add’s bugger battery, bigger alternator, larger oil cooler and a trans cooler. also pre wired for a brake controller so all you have to do is buy one and plug it in. there is a plug under the driver side lower dash some where i don’t know exact location.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #12
The only thing I'd really be worried about if you don't have the tow package but you do have the class III hitch setup is that you won't have a transmission and oil cooler to help for longer pulls and trailer brakes. If you're going to pull something heavy short distances then it wouldn't really be a huge issue as long as you don't pull up long hills at high speeds or stress it too much.