LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Limited slip??

Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Ocean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really nice

Ocean's's Tacoma Gallery
Question Limited slip??

I have a 2008 DC TRD Off Road. Just driving in 2 wheel drive, i thought that the power-tire would be the Right Rear, and that we DON't have a limited slip.

However, When i was on the lawn, I spun the right wheel and then i see the left one spinning. I checked the lawn and yes there was a 3 foot burn out ont he right side and about 4 feet forward, another 3 foot burn out on the left side...??

Confused...

Old 10-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
If I understand you both tires didn't have any traction so they both spun. Which would make sense.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
^^^Yes. There is no power wheel as some think. The reason the right wheel tends to spin is because the ring gear is on the right side so the power takes the easiest path. If both tires have no traction both will spin. If the one has less traction than the other then the one with less traction will spin.

When you don't have the locker on then you have an open diff.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
without the locker engage, you have a LSD, Thats what you are saying?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Taco Truck Noob
Jefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Jefenator's Tacoma Gallery
My rig has the "automatic limited-slip differential".

According to the official blurb, it works by "selectively applying brakes to the wheel that slips and sending engine power to the wheel with grip".

I haven't tested this, yet. Can anyone tell me how well it actually works? If I have one wheel on ice or deep gravel & the other on pavement, can I power myself uphill?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
^In theory

But Auto LSD I beleive only became standard in 09+. 05-08 TRD Sports have LSD, otherwise you have an open diff (with a locker if you have TRD offroad).
Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
sr5 has LSD as an option as well.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, they are indeed limited.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
He has an '08 OFF ROAD which means no limited slip in the differential (those were in the 'Sport' only). The 'electronic' limited slip system (Auto. LSD/ TRAC) didn't start until the '09s.

He has a normal open differential with a LOCKING REAR differential that can be activated by button. If his Taco is a 4WD, then the RR Locker only works in Low Range.

Because an open diff. will put torque to the tire with less traction, it can go to either left or right tire... whichever spins the easiest. If equal traction, torque goes to both rear tires equally.

Whippersnapper gives some excellent info on why we USUALLY see the same rear tire spin in back, when we get stuck!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefenator View Post
My rig has the "automatic limited-slip differential".

According to the official blurb, it works by "selectively applying brakes to the wheel that slips and sending engine power to the wheel with grip".

I haven't tested this, yet. Can anyone tell me how well it actually works? If I have one wheel on ice or deep gravel & the other on pavement, can I power myself uphill?
The best way for you to know how well it works is to go some place in the dirt or snow and use it.

The standard drive mode is with TRAC on, in 2WD. It is a 'lite' limited slip and does regulate engine output along with braking a spinning tire.

BUT, do a quick push of the VSC OFF switch and that turns on 'AUTO LSD' which is a stronger 2WD limited slip than is TRAC as there is no engine regulation! This is like Posi Traction for your rear end for power take offs. It helps when one tire is off the road in slush.

If tire spinning is desired, you can de-activate the limited slip system and just have open differential(s) by hold down the VSC OFF switch, while STOPPED for 3-5 seconds.

If you have 4WD, the TRAC in High Range 4WD is actually like Auto LSD as there isn't any engine regulation. Toyota could have used better names or called TRAC in 4WD something different or AUTO LSD, maybe?