1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

non-TRD vs TRD forum ownership stats

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Accel Junky, Oct 13, 2010.

?

Is your 2nd gen a non-TRD trim or a TRD trim?

1. No TRD package

27.7%
  2. TRD package

72.3%
  1. Oct 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    Taos1

Taos1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Access Roll Up Tonneau cover, Stainless Steel Sidestep bars, Pop&Lock, Grillcraft black Mesh Grill
    08 TRD Sport A/C and loving it.

2. Oct 24, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    TRD Off Road. Wanted/Needed the Locking Diff.

3. Oct 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    what makes a TRD a TRD?

4. Oct 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    TRD Sport Has:
    Sport Tuned Bilstein Shocks
    Color matched grill, side mirrors, and rear bumper

TRD Offroad has:
    Off Road Tuned Bilstein Shocks ( heavier Dampening Rate)
    Progressive Rate front Coil Springs
    Off Road Cambered Rearspings to compensate for wheel travel in offroad situations
    Larger stabilizer Bar
    Rear Locking Diff

5. Oct 24, 2010 at 11:41 PM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR AT DCLB w/JBL Premium Package
    Ironman Stage 2 FCP 3" lift kit, Ironman skid plate kit, C4 Fab Hybrid front bumper and frame supports, C4 Fab sliders, Smittybuilt X2O 10k lb winch, Diode Dynamics Pro fogs, Baja Designs Sport fogs, Falken Rubitrek AT's, Midland Micro MXT275 GMRS radio, Victory 4x4 hood hinge antenna mount, ARE MX shell, 12 Volt Solutions remote starter w/ phone app module, Overland Equipped aux power tray/Blue Sea 12 circut ST blade fuse block w/ 187 series 100a circut breaker, OEM bedmat and floor mats, Hooke Road tailgate cover, JDM ASTAR 800 lumen LED reverse bulbs, iOttie wireless phone charger, blue LED dome light, back seat dog bed and rear seat12v/USB ports, Ironman diff breather, ac drain mod,, tons of rad recovery equipment and every cubbyhole filled with crap. On order: Method MR 316 wheels and 285/70R/17 BFG KO2's.
    new '10 prerunner dbl cab, sr5 ev pack, 2wd, 16" alloys, v6 and tow pack:

i was lookin for a good 'road' vehicle with some ground clearence for the occasional dirt road when goin campin, to the trailhead, shuttle runs or a race site. no real need for 4x4 or upgraded suspension. i was more into a solid road trip mobile with a high resale value, huge reliability, low $ per mile quotient, creature comforts, room and power for tons of shit and a few extra bodies. now, if i were 30 years younger.... i see a stripped down ex cab trd off road with all the underside toys. but im not.

6. Oct 25, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    Pat 13

Pat 13 Hillbilly 4X4

Member:
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma V6 DC 4X4 TX Pro
    2011 TRD Off-road with TX Pro package and lovin it.

7. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD Off Road.
    G2 bed cover
    I have the non TRD non SR5 doublecab 4x4. It has power win.& locks. I would have liked to have the TRD seats but I ended up buying exactfit covers. [​IMG]

8. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    vr6pilot

vr6pilot rather be dubbin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Viva New Mexico!!
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand SR5
    Still a pre-runner though, right? That's the ride height boost if I understand correctly. Either way, nice clean practical truck ^^. I went with the TRD seats because they are shaped differently and more comfortable and supportive.

Couple years ago, I was on the edge of buying a (no pun) Ford Edge but one short drive in those awful seats completely shot the deal down. I could tell I wouldn't be able to make my daily commute without getting a sore lower back. Looking at the Ford Sport Trac, same issue but you could upgrade to power leather seats and get some decent seating but...wow what a boost in price to get there.

I may throw some nice covers on my seats, but the TRD design is why I had to have them.

BTW...here's mine:
    danstrd4_776f046c7f408ce304c7c0ab2b6f3670aa55c279.jpg

9. Oct 25, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD Off Road.
    G2 bed cover
    No it's not a pre-runner it's a 4-wheel-drive. And very capable in off road situations. If I want to go hunting I take it in the mountains if I want to go fishing I take it to the river and we also took it on vacation this year insteed of my wife's limited jeep cherokee. I really like the look of the hood scoop and if it was functional I may have got the trd.

10. Oct 25, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    vr6pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Viva New Mexico!!
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand SR5
    Okay, should have known that. Pre-runner on a 2wd gives you the same "lift" as the 4x4 for looks. Personally, I'd rather it were about 1" lower but, its all good.

No, I wouldn't have forked over the cash for the scoop nor for the color-keyed grille surround (I do hate chrome) but the seats made it mandatory. We plan on using this as our trip cruiser cuz it can go places our low rider VWs can't and keeping my mtn bike in the bed is easier than strapping it to the roof plus there's more room in the back with the seats folded down for the dog. He likes the truck!

11. Oct 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    ToyTaco

ToyTaco For the Retards, Im a Female

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Newark, DE
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport 4x4 modified
    '10 TRD Sport A/C

12. Oct 26, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    xtreme69692001

xtreme69692001 NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND.

Member:
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma V6 auto access
    just a cap.
    NON TRD... V6 4X4 SR5 and Tow package... TRD just seemed like stickers to me... also im dirt poor...lol

13. Oct 26, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    JoshO

JoshO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baltimore MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Sport (Silver)
    Pop a Lock Bolt Codeable Tailgate Lock, Tyger Tonneau Cover, Stubby Antenna, Led Interior Lights, K&N Series 63 CAI, AVS In-Channel Visors. Upcoming Cat-Back Exahust and Lift kit
    TRD Sport, but only cause it was the color I liked. I think in this Forum if you don't feel like doing a ton of mods right away TRD is the way to go. If you are going to go all out might as well save the dollars on stuff you are just going to take off and sell anyway.
    I like the TRD Sport and the only things I want to do are more agressive tires and perhaps different wheels. One day when she is a beater then I ll do more off road mods.

14. Oct 26, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Really? Then the dealer didn't do a very good job of informing you.:confused:

If you got the TRD OFF ROAD 4WD you would have two major traction aids that greatly increase your off road drivability... 1) Locking Rear Differential and 2) Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) which is a 'smart' front and rear 'locker-like' limited slip.:) Also, all terrain BFG Rugged Trail tires.

The Bilstein shocks are nice too... but saying that TRD is like stickers is not the full story... unless maybe you are thinking of the TRD SPORT (fake hood scoop, color matched stuff, but nothing that actually improves the driving ability)... :rolleyes::D;)

15. Oct 26, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    ToyTaco

ToyTaco For the Retards, Im a Female

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Newark, DE
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport 4x4 modified
    i sat the two trucks together at the dealership when i was looking at them and I liked the color matched bumpers and hood etc on the one that i ended up choosing, i think it gave it a better look, but that is just my preferrence.

16. Oct 26, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Right... for 'looks' it is a TRD Sport.

Hey Toyota was smart to make two very different trucks... about half of us want a truck that can go anywhere, and don't care about flashiness... and the other half likes the flashy look of a Sport and don't need it to crawl up a cliff or through a swamp... but you know what, they are both Tacos and will do pretty darn good and not breakdown!

17. Oct 27, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    vr6pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Viva New Mexico!!
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand SR5
    The suspension on the TRD sport is stiffer and the truck corners flatter than a non-TRD. Of course, I am comparing PreRunner to PreRunner. I drove both and while it was the more supportive seats that sold me, I also liked the flatter cornering. Since I've never driven anything but cars my whole life (well-handling cars) this was a boost to the decision to go TRD.

All I wanted was a car with a truck bed. If I could've gotten a double-cab ElCamino, I would have.

18. Oct 27, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    LS TOY

LS TOY Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Athens, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    You might be the biggest IDIOT on this site!!

19. Oct 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    That is pretty uncool for you to be so rude with only 25 posts here on TW. That is idiotic... IMO. If you want to discuss my opinions like an adult, then I would be more than happy to have a diolog with you. I actually thought I was being diplomatic to you SPORT owners compared to my past comments on the differences between a Sport and a Off Road. Looks vs. Function... but they are both great trucks... okay nooB?

20. Oct 28, 2010 at 5:29 AM
    LS TOY

LS TOY Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Athens, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    I don't need thousands of posts to know an idiot when I hear one! Just because you have a weak factory locker and A-TRAC doesn't make your Taco OR any more functional. My 4x4 SPORT is highly capable and not just for looks. A driver makes a truck functional. So keep it locked, cut on A-TRAC, and keep pounding those trails at 2 MPH!

Products Discussed in

To Top