1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A-TRAC: WHY is it difficult for some people to accept it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by David K, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    or your an over opinionated asshole who associates with assholes who do trail runs with a 12 pack of coors and litters the trail with beer cans....so no one will go with you

You can do all of cleghorn in 2wd so i fail to see how it proves atracs superiority to f/r lockers....

this whole pissing match started because YOU said that your atrac can take you as far a lockers...

2. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    True!? Didn't know.

3. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    but your the one who continuously posts against the locker crowd if you dont care, leave it alone...

4. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    btw i dont call you anything you dont call yourself...

i was playing on what you wrote under your name...

but i see alot of posts on this thread where you argue with people saying the atrac will go as far as lockers. were all entitled to our own opinions but say your piece and move on. instigating by further posting your opinion gets nowhere...

its not just you...

5. Oct 29, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    If it's not needed you just turn it off. There is no electronic device that will replace a locker besides an electronic locker. A-Trac is a great system for dry conditions, I won't argue that. Once it gets wet and slippery it really doesn't do any good.

When it's wet and slippery the tire that's in the air has no traction. The tire that's on the ground has no or very little traction. What happens to the tire that's on the ground with little to no traction? It's just jerks because it sense lose of traction and doesn't know where to divert the torque (this is from first hand experience). It requires a little wheel spin to get going but all you'll get is a lot of jerking while the system throws power back and forth between the wheels. This is where a locker will out shine A-Trac. Selectable lockers will outperform A-Trac every time.

6. Oct 29, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    Since I've already seen your comment before you deleted it. I don't care that it's been said before. You A-Trac guys don't understand that your A-Trac is only good in dry conditions. It doesn't have near the capability that lockers do. You guys should get off your A-Trac pedestal.

7. Oct 29, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    UGH..
    unsubscribing now. this is really stupid guys. lets move on :thumbsup:

8. Oct 29, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
  9. Oct 29, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Locky locky

10. Oct 29, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Damn, what happened? At about page 21, everyone turned into a bunch of fucking retards.

I don't think ever once in this thread did somebody say ATRAC was better than lockers. The locker lovers appear to be the ones who turned it into a versus match.

Both have pros and cons. Depending on ones needs/wants, one may be better than the other.

I live 10 minutes away from Chokecherry Canyon which is Moab quality sandstone (rock crawling national circuits hold competitions there regularly) and I've wheeled in it countless times. I've used front and rear lockers out there on other vehicles. Lockers are better for brutal off roading. Again, I don't think anyone ever argued against that. With my current vehicle I use rear locker and front ATRAC. Its not quite as good as double locked but it is damn close.

On ice, ATRAC is not ideal. No sweat, on ice one shouldn't be in 4lo anyway (ATRAC can only be activated [or de-activated] in 4lo). They should be in 4hi. The same could easily be argued for mud.

lrgrnr, no offense but I beg to differ that your Sport can do anything an OR can do. That just doesn't even make sense and you know it. I assure you that if both of our vehicles were run up the same increasing grade by equally skilled drivers, or even the same driver, mine would go farther. If you were to dispute this, you would not need, or even want, the lockers you intend to buy in the future. If you can hang with the ORs, great! That just means you're a skilled driver (or they are particularly unskilled). Be aware though, skilled drivers own ORs too.:D This paragraph is not designed to belittle the Sport. I admit it is a very capable vehicle. However, all other variables equal, it cannot do what an OR can do, period. I've wheeled with Sports. The steep, loose dirt hills they needed momentum to get up, I could quite easily crawl up.

11. Oct 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Wow... you really need to chill... and READ more TW.

Paul (HB Murphy) went to Baja with me and he has an '09 OR 4WD with A-TRAC. He had added a front locker as well... wants the best of all worlds... (or perhaps didn't know how well A-TRAC does providing front end locker traction?)

I do believe he was impressed with me never using my rear locker and doing the entire Mision Santa Maria run stock, with A-TRAC in L4 and TRAC in H4.

12. Oct 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Thank you, that was good...

Remember, while A-TRAC only works in L4, you do have TRAC in H4... and TRAC (with the hydraulic brake booster) is a very strong limited slip system... as is AUTO LSD (when in H2) on our A-TRAC trucks...

I read a lot of negatives about AUTO LSD, but again it comes from the non-A-TRAC crowd... and because of the hydraulic brake booster (that only the A-TRAC equipped trucks have) our other traction controls are stronger than they are on Sport and base Tacos.;)

13. Oct 29, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Gah why don't you all just give it a rest and go out, get your trucks dirty, and have some fun with it. Holy crap I can't believe this thread still lives on.

14. Oct 29, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I did go out... today... (see 'ToucanV13 Rocks and David K Spots' in the Southern Calif. forum). I am one who believes if you can't walk the walk... then you shouldn't talk the talk!

15. Oct 29, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    wow, thread turned lame.

16. Oct 30, 2010 at 1:39 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Maybe I should have called this thread:

1) "Front lockers are great, agree with me or die!"

or maybe, 2) "Play your A-TRAC, because the 70's were cool",

how about 3) "Since the world is flat, why do I have a front locker?"

17. Oct 30, 2010 at 1:51 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top