Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Prerunner on sand tips?

Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
hbryanlopez is on a distinguished road

Name: herby
hbryanlopez's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunner on sand tips?

I have a prerunner and will be taking it to the beach. Here where I live there is a hot spot for fishing. But to get there you have to drive 35miles on the sand by the water. I will be going with a jeep rubicon incase I get stuck but what should I do to avoid getting stuck. I currently have bilstein 5100 all around, front at 2.5" and 2" rear aal. 285/70/18 nitto Tera graplers. Any tips? I won't be going on really soft sand but I do plan to do this 2-3 Times a year. Would a rear dif locker help? This will be the only offroading I will be doing. Any tips would be great.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
air down and dont do shot gun start
Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
youre going to get stuck no matter what!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

and by air down like 15psi and yes u might get stuck still

are you open diff, lsd, trd locker?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
yamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Royce
yamaha73's Tacoma Gallery
havent taken the tacoma out on the sand yet, but have taken many other trucks out in soft sand....air down and dont take off fast like earlier stated. the terra grapplers do great in sand, and your gonna be next to the water so itll be hard packed wich is easy to get through, take a shovel and maybe a couple pieces of wood so if you get stuck u can put them in front of the tire to help it get traction. dont forget a tow strap haha ive done that one a few to many times
Old 10-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
air down and easy on the gas. my NTG's did great aired down in the sand

or a little more costly solution: do what i did... trade in for a 4x
jk
kinda

enjoy the sweet fishing spot!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Almost there

if you go by yourself maybe look into buying or making something like this: http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/ima...d_Tracks_2.jpg
Old 10-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
yamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
if you go by yourself maybe look into buying or making something like this: http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/ima...d_Tracks_2.jpg
wow ive been looking to do somethin like that, nice find, im thinking of doing something with like cut 2x4s and attaching them with rope or chain, kinda like a ladder
Old 10-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Almost there

exactly that would work, posted the pic for visual reference! i wouldnt spend money on that if i could make it
Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #10

yea im gonna do it soon since im going to pismo in a couple weeks, the picture u showed is that like rubber, almost like tread from a tire?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
hbryanlopez is on a distinguished road

Name: herby
hbryanlopez's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys..I have lsd do I leave that on? Also is it ok o drive 35 miles on 15 psi? Ive been a couple of times with my buddy with a rubicon, his avg speed is 35mph is this ok speed at only 15psi! And should I do all 4 tires at 15psi.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
Almost there

i believe so. i just did a google picture search but if you go to arb's website it will give you more detailed info on it!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbryanlopez View Post
Thanks guys..I have lsd do I leave that on? Also is it ok o drive 35 miles on 15 psi? Ive been a couple of times with my buddy with a rubicon, his avg speed is 35mph is this ok speed at only 15psi! And should I do all 4 tires at 15psi.

its fine to drive like that with such low psi as long as its not asphalt. yes you should do all 4 at 15psi. the lower tire pressure creates less "drag" you could say by spreading the surface area of the tire over a larger area. so if you did not deflate the front they would be kind of pushing the sand instead of a more floating action!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbryanlopez View Post
ive had buddys with long travel trucks theyve done 60 with there tires aired down for 3 days with no problems so id say ur fine

edit: o and just dont be doing donuts with your tires aired down, buddy of mine was a retard and was doin donutes with his tires at 12psi, broke the bead on the tire, not fun to take the tire off in sand and get the bead to go back on
Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #15

Quote:
i believe so. i just did a google picture search but if you go to arb's website it will give you more detailed info on it!
ok thanks!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #16
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
go to 10psi momentum is the key!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
its fine to drive like that with such low psi as long as its not asphalt. yes you should do all 4 at 15psi. the lower tire pressure creates less "drag" you could say by spreading the surface area of the tire over a larger area. so if you did not deflate the front they would be kind of pushing the sand instead of a more floating action!
Only air down your drive wheels. Airing down the fronts of a 2wd will do no good
Old 10-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #18
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
Uh no, only air down your drive wheels. Airing down the fronts of a 2wd will do no good
it helps steer tho and doesnt dig when you steer
Old 10-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
Only air down your drive wheels. Airing down the fronts of a 2wd will do no good
yes airing down the fronts helps, the tires are wider and float over the sand better instead of pushing the sand like it will do with it all aired up
Old 10-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
Almost there

Iv always aired all 4 as well as been taught. Theres an ongoing thread on here about it and will help you make your own educated dicision on what to do