1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drag in Drive

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hotdog, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Jul 22, 2008 at 8:19 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog [OP] My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I have a Prerunner Auto with stock tires and (hopefully) a good alignment.

When coming off of the interstate, I let my truck slow down naturally. When I let my foot off the gas, the truck slows down much quicker than any other car I have driven. If I put it in neutral, I could cost at least twice as far.

I know I should expect some engine braking, but this seems to be too much. Anyone experience this?

2. Jul 22, 2008 at 9:06 PM
    NHinAK

NHinAK Active Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    08 Tundra TRD
    -Debadged
    It's normal. Mine does it as well.

3. Jul 22, 2008 at 9:09 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    they do have alot of engine braking....something i noticed first thing when i had my 06, but its normal.....and actually good for the life of the motor and all.

4. Jul 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    It's not necessarily the same, but my automatic Matrix slowed down a lot compared to my manual Tacoma. I've driven my roommate's automatic Chevy Silverado, and it does the same thing.

5. Jul 22, 2008 at 9:14 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock

yea i notice it more when im going down hill

6. Jul 22, 2008 at 9:17 PM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    OK. I'm glad others have the same issue. I haven't driven many other trucks/suvs. Most of my driving experience is in cars and maybe the gearing difference there has something to do with it. Oh well. Thanks all and good night.

7. Jul 23, 2008 at 5:27 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Its something with the auto tranny, my truck does the same thing. My old X-Runner did not do it. My 98 Taco did not do it either and it was an auto as-well.

8. Jul 23, 2008 at 5:48 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    First, to stay on topic... my truck does it, too. More than any vehicle I've owned, but I've never had a truck before, either.

What makes you say it's "good for the life of the motor?" I've been in a debate with a friend of mine about using the engine to maintain speed going down hills, etc. I don't know enough about engines to convince him that it's OK for the car. (And, frankly, I've never heard that it could be good for the life of the motor.)

Thanks!

9. Jul 23, 2008 at 6:13 AM
    MikeS.

MikeS. Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB 4x4 in Speedway Blue.
    Undercover bed topper, Nerf style step bars, Python alarm, Ham radio with 250 watt amp and chrome wheel well bling.
    My new Tacoma is the same but my 05 Avalon will coast for a long time closing very little speed. That's really good for gas mileage.

10. Jul 23, 2008 at 6:35 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

ok.....maybe i was a little too forward with my comment.........what i was trying to say, and this is just my thinking, with engine braking, the motor actually does less work(since the injectors arent kicking in) and its basically a way to save fuel...........maybe or maybe not "good for the life of the motor" as i said before, but to me...it seems like it would be. its good for the braking system though, cause if you use engine braking to your advantage.....you dont have top use the brake pedal to make a quick stop....thats all i was getting at:)!!

if it matters though.....the 06 tacoma i had was actually the first vehicle i ever had that i really noticed engine braking in. the 04 tacoma i have now.......i havent noticed it at all.

11. Jul 23, 2008 at 6:40 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I agree 100%... I don't use the engine to break (i.e. - downshifting when I approach a stop light or an exit ramp), but I do use it to maintain speed while going down hills. My buddy keeps saying that "engine breaking is causing wear on the enging/transmission... i'd rather pay to replace my brakes than my tranny." All I can tell him is that it makes sense to me b/c you're not using any more gas, you're not wearing out your breaks, and (the part about which I'm not sure) it's not bad for the drive train.

I'm just trying to find somebody who can tell me if it does cause unnecessary wear to the vehicle or not.

12. Jul 23, 2008 at 6:43 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I heard the claim about the fuel injectors shutting off. My Dashhawk shows gallons/hour, so I'm able to check the fuel usage regardless of speed. When your foot is off the gas and you are decelerating, you use about the same fuel as sitting at idle or by shifting into neutral.

13. Jul 23, 2008 at 6:44 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i did a search on google about engine braking trying to find the same thing, and about all i could find about unnecessary wear and tear is that, yeah...there is some, but its minimal at best, so hopefully, it really is. but then again, the way these tacomas are built, as long as you keep the oil changed and the tranny fluid changed when needed, i dont think there is really anything to worry about.:)

14. Jul 23, 2008 at 1:43 PM
    wushaw

wushaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD 4x4 6sp
    All big rig trucks use engine braking for slowing or maintaining speed downhill, they average 800k - 1m miles before inframe overhauls.

It is a safety feature all the manufactures are building into the automatic trannys, they are trying to use what a manual tranny already has built in it.

15. Jul 23, 2008 at 2:54 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Same here...

It's not as noticable sometimes. While other times...if I tap on the brake briefly, it seems like it downshifts even further and really drags ya back.

16. Jul 23, 2008 at 3:13 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    Exactly, you can almost make it feel like a manual and make it shift, up and down, where you want by the way you touch the gas and brakes. The '99 with an auto didn't do this at all.

17. Jul 23, 2008 at 4:44 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The first gen. Tacomas, and most mfgr's let their autos "free wheel" when the throttle is let off. The tranny in the Tacoma doent do this. It acts like a manual tranny in the sence that it helps slow you when you let off the throttle. It also has a variable lock up torque converter to help with this. It will learn your driveing habbits, and shift accordingly (from what I have read). After I got my truck, I would shift it manually when comming to a stop, as I was told that this would "help" the tranny learn my driveing style. Now when Im comming to a stop, it downshifts @ 2000-2300 rpm like clock work. :)

18. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:20 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    You guys are all off topic. I think he's asking what it's like to drive in drag.

19. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:38 PM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Wilson is right. The dress keeps getting stuck in the door.

20. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:38 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^Great avatar, btw. "sLaughter is the best medicine."

Products Discussed in

To Top