1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Those ugly holes when mud flaps are removed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by longbow, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Jul 23, 2008 at 5:00 AM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Well some of you may not really care about the holes after you remove the mud flaps. Since I lifted mine, I removed the front mud flaps and those holes..well to me they stick out like a sore thumb.

I have been looking for ways to fill them and have found one way, I am still looking into more.

I took one of the push pins off the flap to a auto store, to see if they had any thing close to it but a little larger in dia. Picked up a few choices and tried them out.

I did find one that snapped into place and has a textured finish and the outside dia.of the pin is about the same as the old one.

Basically they are door panel retainers for a Infinity made by Dorman #963-082. They came 4 to a small box and were only a few bucks each.

I am still going to look into other ideas, but unless I find anything better, heck works for me. If I decide to do the Line-X idea I will have them sprayed while installed instead of painting them.

2. Jul 23, 2008 at 5:26 AM
    hashemg

hashemg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.
    Why don't you just put the stock clips and screws back in????

3. Jul 23, 2008 at 5:51 AM
    zombot

zombot Scavenger

Member:
    savannah
    Vehicle:
    08 white debadged panda
    bull bar and offroad lights, tool box and other minor storage mods
    that's what i was thinkin' too- if you kept them. :confused:

4. Jul 23, 2008 at 7:10 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    Convene the oversight committee.:eek:

5. Jul 23, 2008 at 1:03 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    don't know how everyone elses fit, but the old ones pushed in and came right out with out the mud flap.
    Also the old ones do not have the grooves in them all the way to the head, so if you pushed them in, they fit great to a certain point then they flop around.
    Maybe someone can explain it better than I can.

6. Jul 23, 2008 at 1:10 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    we use the same type of things on golf carts...to keep the bagwell mats and spike gurds on the bodies. we call them christmas trees:D. they are about 3/4 of an inch long, they are plastic, the head is maybe a half inch around, and they have alotta grooves in them. i used them on the 06 i had when i broke my mudflap off while offroading.......and they actually work alot better than the factory push rivets.

7. Jul 23, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    nice write up +1

8. Jul 23, 2008 at 1:36 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    THANKS, that is what I was trying to state.
    All the push rivets (christmas trees) are not the same, some are wider, longer, and some do not have the ridges that go to the head. The push rivets (christmas trees) from the mudflaps do not have the ridges that go to the head,(at least the ones on mine don't) thus they move around when installed w/o the flap.
    So when I went looking for something like that, I picked up a number of different auto makers christmas trees. Out of all the ones I tried, the ones posted above worked the best on my truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top