Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Remove the differential drop on your 05+ Tacoma

Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #201
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenYoshida View Post
I must be misunderstanding about the the diff drop tilting the wrong way? By dropping the diff it helps reduce the angle on the driveshaft going to the differential right? Am I misunderstanding what your trying to say?
Dropping the diff helps tilt the diff so lubrication moves away from the pinion bearings. Front driveshaft is a one-piece and is designed for parallel pinion angle <---> transfer case output flange/shaft. Tilting the pinion angle puts the driveshaft geometry OFF in this case.

And of course, you lose clearance.

Once again: Diff drops don't do shit on 2nd gens. High CV angles on 2gens don't matter anyway, except for boot wear, and that's easily solvable with the clamp mod. These are not 1st gen CV axles. Toyota screwed some things up on the 2gen, but they did their homework with the front end. It's a rather robust setup for an independent axle. Telling that you see WAY more busted rear e-locker diffs on these trucks than any front end problems.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #202
GlenYoshida is on a distinguished road
Name: Glen
GlenYoshida's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for clarifying. I thought you might have been implying that the joint angle on the drive shaft was more severe with a diff drop.

For those of you that are more confused than ever, the bottom line is that going with or without a diff drop doesn't make a whole lot of difference. It's up to you if you prefer a lesser cv angle or the greater clearance under your front differential. It's not going to cause your front diff to blow up if you use a diff drop kit nor will it stop your boots from wearing through.

Go either way and enjoy it. It's six of one or half dozen of the other. Lots of people have both and as you've probably noticed there isn't a clear cut path for either choice. That ought to be a good indicator of what difference it actually makes. As for the strong opinions. It might as well be an argument of which color is better, Red or Blue. Seems like people will find a way to get a strong opinion about just about anything. I'll prove that point...

Red is way better than blue!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #203
GlenYoshida is on a distinguished road
Name: Glen
GlenYoshida's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
If the diff drop is so great why didn't Toyota just include it in the first place?

I had one on and removed it, made absolutely no difference in cv angles. Did not take pictures since it is a fact, and facts do not require proof they are known to be true. I'm sorry I wasted the money on two longer bolts and metal hockey pucks.
That's just silly. The diff drop isn't a magic elixir that is supposed to cure all and make everything better. Toyota didn't include a diff drop because if a lower diff would have been better (for stock height) they would have just designed the differential to be lower in the first place. Toyota already put the differential at the optimal place for a stock suspension. No seller or producer of a diff drop has (to the best of my knowledge) ever made a claim that it makes a change that one should expect to be "great". If one had that expectation then it was unrealistic. When we lift our rigs it changes the geometry. Small changes can make a difference as the miles and trails tick by.

I'm guessing that when you said it made "absolutely no difference" you were exaggerating a bit to try and make a point. If you meant to say it doesn't make a huge change in CV angle then I'd have to agree but if you truly think it made no difference then you were not paying much attention and were sleeping in your high school geometry class. Maybe the cute girl in class was wearing her magic sweater that day No man is immune to those kinds of distractive powers ha!
Through basic trig you could measure the difference the diff dropped and how much that reduced the CV angle.

You would be more right if you said math doesn't lie. Post up some numbers to show that the differential drop made absolutely no difference and let your peers review your numbers to verify them. You will be vindicated if you are right or will have learned something if you are mistaken. Either way it's a good thing.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #205
outdeh is on a distinguished road

Name: Dietrich
outdeh's Tacoma Gallery
I removed my diff drop earlier today. I feel a lot better without it, thanks to the OP and all those that contributed useful info to this thread.

In case anyone is wondering what the difference on the angle of the CV boots looks like, here are before (with diff drop) and after (without diff drop) photos.

Unlike other photos I've seen that were taken from different angles, which skews the perspective and doesn't reflect the actual difference in CV angles, I ensured these photos were taken from the exact same position and angle. As you can see, there is a slight difference in the angle of the CVs, but not so much that I would consider it significant. As others have stated, I'd much rather have to replace my CVs a touch sooner and not face all the potential problems discussed in this thread.

with diff drop

without diff drop
Old 12-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #206
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
and to be honest... the stock config has a cv angle thats much better parallel to the LCA orientation that will cause it to arc in a very similar way to the LCA.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #207
Loco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Loco38SUP's Tacoma Gallery
Diff drops are snake oil.

I've never believed in them or used them.

RJM
Old 02-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #208
VinTaco has a spectacular aura aboutVinTaco has a spectacular aura about

VinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
That is a lot of damage, I wonder if the mechanics who insist on installing one with even a 2 in. lift can understand the downside of a DDK. ?? Some wont even do the lift without the DDK because they say they cant guarantee the job without one.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #209
rcrick263 is on a distinguished road

rcrick263's Tacoma Gallery
DD Kit crossed off the list of parts to buy for new lift!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #210
ThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ThomasMore66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrick263 View Post
DD Kit crossed off the list of parts to buy for new lift!
No shit! I was searching for an answer to that question earlier this week as I plan my lift.

What lift are you going with? I'm thinking OME today because I'm not a big wheeler (drive 60 miles to/from work most days) and it seems to have good reviews. Then there's ICON...I like that too. I think either one should have new UCA's.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMore66 View Post
No shit! I was searching for an answer to that question earlier this week as I plan my lift.

What lift are you going with? I'm thinking OME today because I'm not a big wheeler (drive 60 miles to/from work most days) and it seems to have good reviews. Then there's ICON...I like that too. I think either one should have new UCA's.

I've been comparing OME and Toytec. I think I've decided on Toytec between those two, just for the adjustability, and easier install. That way I can dial in the exact ride hight, and easily adjust for taco lean. But ICON will offer those things too, being adjustable coilovers. Are there any advantages from ICON over Toytec? ICON is more $$ if I remember. Either way I'm going to get LR UCA's
Old 02-24-2014, 06:04 AM   #212
ThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ICON is some coin, but it does consistently have great reviews. I did see a forum where KING and ICON folks got all insane over which was better, but I'm sure I'll never know the difference. I might blaze a dirt trail, but I'm not going rock climbing. I need it to drive on Monday morning. Now, if I get to a point where I have multiple vehicles, I could see having one set up for total off-road. That would be fun.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #213

Quote:
I've been comparing OME and Toytec. I think I've decided on Toytec between those two, just for the adjustability, and easier install. That way I can dial in the exact ride hight, and easily adjust for taco lean. But ICON will offer those things too, being adjustable coilovers. Are there any advantages from ICON over Toytec? ICON is more $$ if I remember. Either way I'm going to get LR UCA's
I went back and looked at Toytec a bit today from work. I'm thinking the advantage here is the use of Bilstein shocks and the Toytec coils. I still think OME rear AAL with the Bilstein shocks is a good way to go. You can't rebuild the shocks, but I don't see me doing that anyway. If you have to replace a front shock, you'd just replace the shock and keep the coil, right?
Old 02-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #214

Quote:
I went back and looked at Toytec a bit today from work. I'm thinking the advantage here is the use of Bilstein shocks and the Toytec coils. I still think OME rear AAL with the Bilstein shocks is a good way to go. You can't rebuild the shocks, but I don't see me doing that anyway. If you have to replace a front shock, you'd just replace the shock and keep the coil, right?
Yes I like the idea of Just replacing the shocks rather than having to rebuild them. Probably have to send them to Icon to rebuild, or at least someone that knows what they are doing. That means no truck for a while. Bilstein's you can do in a day and do it yourself. Sounds like the Icon's need to be rebuilt more often than the Bilstein's need replacing. Yes, you only need to replace the shocks, not the coils. Although most coils probably get weaker at some point.
I'm looking at doing some Air bags for the rear, instead of the AAL's. Just not sure how they will ride compared to AAL's. I just don't want a stiffer ride, but I'm not sure how they will work with a lift. Do i just get 2" blocks and the Air bags? I know they make bags that can go with a lift, but I think I want to stay away from blocks. Hmmm..
Old 02-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #215

Air Bags! WTF? Do people do that on 4wd's?

I've been all over the place this week on which lift I want. I spent a bunch of time with the search function looking at OME, Toytec, and Icon. I keep leaning back towards Toytec. So, why do Tacomas lean? Why do people with OME have to correct a lean? Would that be because of my fat ass on one side?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #216
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Im going to take my DD off tomorrow!!

I love my OME lift. Ive had icon and toytecs before. And i liked the adjustability of them.. but they dont come close to ride comfort of the OME setup.. its great for a DD tacoma. The Icon's and toytecs were alittle too stiff and harsh set at 3" of lift for around town driving for me.. ofcourse it was alot better without the sway bar! Lol
I left the sway bar on with my OME kit.. rides nice.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #217

Do you have lean? Lots of people seem to like the OME ride. I like the idea that OME is sold all over the world and some guy in Africa has put this thing to the test and it works.

What size tires are you running? I have this dream of 285 75 16's on my stock TRD OR rims. I just like that look - stock but not.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:13 PM   #218
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes I like the idea of Just replacing the shocks rather than having to rebuild them. Probably have to send them to Icon to rebuild, or at least someone that knows what they are doing. That means no truck for a while. Bilstein's you can do in a day and do it yourself. Sounds like the Icon's need to be rebuilt more often than the Bilstein's need replacing. Yes, you only need to replace the shocks, not the coils. Although most coils probably get weaker at some point.
I'm looking at doing some Air bags for the rear, instead of the AAL's. Just not sure how they will ride compared to AAL's. I just don't want a stiffer ride, but I'm not sure how they will work with a lift. Do i just get 2" blocks and the Air bags? I know they make bags that can go with a lift, but I think I want to stay away from blocks. Hmmm..

LULS, what planet are you from? The point of rebuild-able shocks is tuning and never having to replace them. The owner can rebuild them easily, well if you don't hog tie yourself to a brand that does not sell parts like fox, king and such
Old 02-28-2014, 11:17 PM   #219
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have lean? Lots of people seem to like the OME ride. I like the idea that OME is sold all over the world and some guy in Africa has put this thing to the test and it works.

What size tires are you running? I have this dream of 285 75 16's on my stock TRD OR rims. I just like that look - stock but not.
No, I dont have lean because I have there trim packer for the drivers side. Im running a 285/70/17 with wheels that are 4.5" Back spacing...
Old 03-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #220
george2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: BIG G
george2pak's Tacoma Gallery

With skid plate like this I don't think MJP2 would had have the same problem.
I do agree with chris4x4 that without the DD it would had been less damage.