Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Remove the differential drop on your 05+ Tacoma

Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #21
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
People, don't just throw it out because one person says so, it will double the life of your CVs if you're running a 3" lift.

Mikes actcident occured because of the desighn of the skid plate. Ray Charles could of seen this coming.
there are plenty of people running 3" lifts with out cv failures
Old 10-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #22
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
People, don't just throw it out because one person says so, it will double the life of your CVs if you're running a 3" lift.

Mikes actcident occured because of the desighn of the skid plate. Ray Charles could of seen this coming.
I disagree. If lifted 3" with no diff drop, the angles should be fine. If lifted higher, then the problems are going to materialize. I think alot of the issues with CV's is that people are lifted too much. Realisticly, 4x4's shouldnt go over 2.5" lift in the front....
Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #23
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
there are plenty of people running 3" lifts with out cv failures
Correct.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #24
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also do you agree its a design flaw in the skid that caused this? You can run the ATO with a diff drop without moding it. So what are the draw backs of having the DD? Nothing! The only on is if you run an Allpro weak ass skid with the DD, you will bend the skid and it will press up against the F.D. it will probably do this without the DD.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #25

Quote:
I'm lifted exactly 3" and if I take mine out my CVs will be torn within 10,000 miles

Also do you agree its a design flaw in the skid that caused this? You can run the ATO with a diff drop without moding it. So what are the draw backs of having the DD? Nothing! The only on is if you run an Allpro weak ass skid with the DD, you will bend the skid and it will press up against the F.D. it will probably do this without the DD.
Thing is.....The Diff Drop gives more leverage to what ever hits it. It allows more energy to be transfered to the diff when hit, thus causeing damage. Would a different skid have helped? Perhaps. But if that hit was hard enough to do the damage it did......Im not sure any skid would have prevented the damage. I DO belive that, had the diff drop not been installed, the blow received to the front would have created less damage, as the front of the diff would have also been 1" higher, with less ability to have shear forces exerted onto it..
Old 10-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #26
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm lifted exactly 3" and if I take mine out my CVs will be torn within 10,000 miles

woah, de je vu...
Old 10-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #30
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
More info on the tragedy?... Your driving a race truck, I'm guessing you were going somewhere along the line's of 70-90mph? just a guess i dont know how fast you guys go in these races... but ANYTHING hitting a rock at 70mph with 4000lbs of weight pushing it, is gona be in for a hell of a ride!

I would say this, for some applications maybe they are not the right thing to use. but for the guys that use their truck as a DD and do moderate 4x4 driving, from what I have heard there are no issues related to having a DD kit installed...
Old 10-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #31
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
mike is also doing stuff with his truck that 99.999% of people will not do w/ theirs. he's already broken a UCA, COs, spindle?, and other stuff. i'm running the standard DD above my ATO and i do think that if things were changed to incorporate the DD and keep the skid smooth, it wouldnt have happened like that.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:58 AM   #32
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Look at this picture and tell me how much that inner CV is dropped when the front is lowered 1":

You really believe it's helping your angles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
More info on the tragedy?... Your driving a race truck, I'm guessing you were going somewhere along the line's of 70-90mph?
It was a hairy, blind section of the course. This happened at 20mph.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #33
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ray Charles could have seen this coming.
I don't think Ray Charles could have seen this coming. Anyone know why?

Regarding the "debate": For some people, maybe a diff drop makes sense. And I'm not sure MJP's issue would've been avoided if his diff wasn't dropped. Me...I'm gonna make it prove it's necessity before I consider it. Everything I've read leads me to believe 3" or less is fine without a FD drop.

Larry, IIRC, when you shredded your CVs you were way jacked up on the coilovers, something like 4" in the front wasn't it?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #34
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
I know I'm being outspoken minority here (and I have virtually NO experience with this...)

Looks to me like the DD wasn't at fault - I mean, the spacer looks pristine. So IT didn't fail. The failure looks like the skid plate, and those drop downs didn't help the matter.

Why do I say that? I'm guessing that the drop-down caught the rock, right? But the skid plate still bent, and that was what actually caused the damage. I don't know what brand skid plates you're running, but I'd talk to them and say something like "Dude, your metal didn't hold and really jacked up my truck. WTF?"

Are DD's bad in the first place? I don't think that should even be the point of this thread - but again, I defer to those with more knowledge. Better road armor should be the real point, or at least FAILURE of the skid plate. (someone else pointed out that there are skid plates that should fit over the DD)
Old 10-16-2010, 06:25 AM   #35

The diff drop only drops the axel shafts about 1/8". The only reason I say "1/2" " is I try to give a "Best Case" scenareo.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #36
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
See above post.
Understood, but that is one situation among many. And also, you didn't address Mr. Charles.

Also, another thought I had:

Has anyone considered lubricating the OUTSIDE of their CVs regularly with something self-cleaning like DuPont Teflon Lube?

Seems to me this would slow wear by reducing friction forces between boot fins and also help to keep dirt/grit/etc from getting between the fins and acting as an irritant? My only concern would be a chemical in the lube causing the boot to lose its elasticity or actually corroding the material.

I think I'm going to try this on mine and be the guinea pig.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Understood, but that is one situation among many. And also, you didn't address Mr. Charles.

Also, another thought I had:

Has anyone considered lubricating the OUTSIDE of their CVs regularly with something self-cleaning like DuPont Teflon Lube?

Seems to me this would slow wear by reducing friction forces between boot fins and also help to keep dirt/grit/etc from getting between the fins and acting as an irritant? My only concern would be a chemical in the lube causing the boot to lose its elasticity or actually corroding the material.

I think I'm going to try this on mine and be the guinea pig.

A friend of mine did that on his buggy. The drawback is the lube collects dirt. Even "Dry" lubes impart an electrical charge on the rubber, allowing it to collect dirt, and increase the amount of wear to the rubber.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #38
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The 1" DD lowers the diff about 3/8-1/2". Just enough to prevent you from ruining your CV boots.
Impossible. The differential would have to be mounted near the center of the support arm for that to happen. Again, look at the picture I posted. It's mounted at the rear of the arm, so you're looking at about 1/8" of drop.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A friend of mine did that on his buggy. The drawback is the lube collects dirt. Even "Dry" lubes impart an electrical charge on the rubber, allowing it to collect dirt, and increase the amount of wear to the rubber.
So, wash regularly and re-lube is a possibility there.

Ok, let's continue to think outside the box. What about coating the CV fins with some kind of easily replaceable armor, like clear nail polish?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #40

Also....People seem to be missing that the spacer is going to allow forces to be amplified to the cross member when/if hit. Mike was only going around 30 mph ( if that), when he hit the rock...or whatever it was. The impact was a glancing one. about 6" or so ahead od the DD. Had the DD not been installed, the force would not have been exerted to the the cross member in the same mannor. Im making a demonstration with my hands SHOWING you guys exactly what Im talking about....WHY arent you seeing it????