LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Remove the differential drop on your 05+ Tacoma

Old 10-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #41
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
I know I'm being outspoken minority here (and I have virtually NO experience with this...)

Looks to me like the DD wasn't at fault - I mean, the spacer looks pristine. So IT didn't fail. The failure looks like the skid plate, and those drop downs didn't help the matter.

Why do I say that? I'm guessing that the drop-down caught the rock, right? But the skid plate still bent, and that was what actually caused the damage. I don't know what brand skid plates you're running, but I'd talk to them and say something like "Dude, your metal didn't hold and really jacked up my truck. WTF?"

Are DD's bad in the first place? I don't think that should even be the point of this thread - but again, I defer to those with more knowledge. Better road armor should be the real point, or at least FAILURE of the skid plate. (someone else pointed out that there are skid plates that should fit over the DD)
This is exactly my point. The differential drop itself didn't fail, but it puts critical parts in harm's way while providing 1/8" of benefit.

The skidplates were modified to clear those spacers. Had the spacers not been there, the bottom would have been smooth and I would have slid right over the obstacle without suffering any damage.

As for going with other skidplates, All Pro and ATO do not protect the lower control arm mounts.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:36 AM   #42
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I was refering too the saying "Its so obvious, Ray Ray could see it coming". Maybe young Ray? before he go cateraxe?

Nah, Ray Charles couldn't have seen this coming 'cause he's dead.

Why can't Helen Keller drive?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #43
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Another thing you should look into Mike, I know 1st gens are running prosche CV boots. They have more fins and remedy the CV boot issue. I will try to find more info on this.
The Gen 2 boots are a completely different design. Porsche boots won't fit.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #44
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
So, wash regularly and re-lube is a possibility there.

Ok, let's continue to think outside the box. What about coating the CV fins with some kind of easily replaceable armor, like clear nail polish?
Keep in mind the area it was tested. Out here in AZ, in a dry wash. Very dusty conditions.

Heres thing I have tried so far:

Armor All
WD-40
Marine Dry Lube (Teflon)
Pam (not the girl....well...I tried her, but not on a CV)
Marvel Mystery oil
ATB ("Absolutly The Best"....no shit.....its the real name)
Old 10-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #45
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Well, there is that ultimate FJ axle, but it's pricey as hell. Given that these Toyotas last forever, you may get your money out of them. as opposed to replacing half-shafts on a regular basis.

Me, being the stubborn cuss I am, plan to give my lift (2.75 to 3 inches, depending on how the angles look) a shot without it. If the CVs shit, I'll have learned my lesson.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 AM   #46
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
If you running a skid that alows space for the DD this wouldn't have happend. Also if you didn't have the DD this wouldn't have happend.

The ATO comes close to covering the LCA mounts But I understand why you chose Bud Built.

You have to see that you are the only case on this site where the DD would but those parts in harms way. The only other people that would fit in this category would be people running no skids at all.
Anyone running the DD runs the risk of the same damage. GAH!!

FRONT diff lowered 1". puts it at more risk of impact.
DD will transfer more energy to the front diff when hit.

If anyone running these hits a rock at a slow speed, the same result can happen.

Also, You said you were blowing CV's, then you lowered the front, and added the diff drop........Dont you think a bit of the reason things are kosher now is due to the lower front end??
Old 10-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #47

Quote:
Well, if its 1/8-1/4" then that small amount has saved me from replacing the PITA CV boots.

Answers my question. What about the ones that have a cork screw looking fin on them?
The spiral boots? They would work, but I dont know of any that fit the second gens.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #48

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You have to see that you are the only case on this site where the DD would but those parts in harms way. The only other people that would fit in this category would be people running no skids at all.
For awhile I was also the only case with a rollcage, only case with aftermarket seats and harnesses, only case with jounce shocks, only case with BudBuilt skids on a 2nd gen, only case with Giant Motorsports' LT setup, etc.

In each case, I've provided advice and insight gained through the experience. I prefer to have my skids mounted as tight to the frame as possible, which is what I love about the BudBuilt skids. Yes, a looser-fitting set of skidplate would clear the differential drop by sacrificing clearance, but that wasn't a compromise I wanted to make.

This time around, I'm providing photographic evidence that the drop kits do not lower the differential as much as people say they do.

The damage I suffered was definitely due to the modified skidplates caving in, but they would not have needed to be modified had I not installed the kit that does virtually nothing for driveline angles.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #49
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
For awhile I was also the only case with a rollcage, only case with aftermarket seats and harnesses, only case with jounce shocks, only case with BudBuilt skids on a 2nd gen, only case with Giant Motorsports' LT setup, etc.

In each case, I've provided advice and insight gained through the experience. I prefer to have my skids mounted as tight to the frame as possible, which is what I love about the BudBuilt skids. Yes, a looser-fitting set of skidplate would clear the differential drop by sacrificing clearance, but that wasn't a compromise I wanted to make.

This time around, I'm providing photographic evidence that the drop kits do not lower the differential as much as people say they do.

The damage I suffered was definitely due to the modified skidplates caving in, but they would not have needed to be modified had I not installed the kit that does virtually nothing for driveline angles.
so wouldnt the true advice be to not modify your skids to run the DD if you chose to run it?

Old 10-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #50

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
so wouldnt the true advice be to not modify your skids to run the DD if you chose to run it?

Or run sloppy skids that don't fit tight to the frame.

It's really the last photo in my first post that's the most important. Seeing how the differential is mounted at the rear of that arm shows that it really isn't lowered at all and is only rotated.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #51

Quote:

What makes you think a skid that goes smoothly over the DD would not have the same result if hit? The energy of the impact is STILL transfered to the crossmember at that point. Mike impacted at a downward angle. The DD is going to magnify (via more leverage) the impact energy transfered to the crossmember.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #52

Im going to sell a "Truck Drop", for people running lifts that may have issues......Im only going to charge $50.00, and Its a vailible right now. Heres the pics:
Old 10-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #53

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
...Or hits a rock on their now-lowered differential mount.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #54
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
What makes you think a skid that goes smoothly over the DD would not have the same result if hit? The energy of the impact is STILL transfered to the crossmember at that point. Mike impacted at a downward angle. The DD is going to magnify (via more leverage) the impact energy transfered to the crossmember.
with that part of the skid giving way, it allowed the arm to take a direct hit from the rock. if a smooth skid was used that wasnt an all pooh (for obvious reasons), it would have deflected the hit and never come in contact w/ the arm like his did

mike even said it himself....

Quote:
This is exactly my point. The differential drop itself didn't fail, but it puts critical parts in harm's way while providing 1/8" of benefit.

The skidplates were modified to clear those spacers. Had the spacers not been there, the bottom would have been smooth and I would have slid right over the obstacle without suffering any damage.

As for going with other skidplates, All Pro and ATO do not protect the lower control arm mounts.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #55

Quote:
...Or hits a rock on their now-lowered differential mount.
FUCKING BINGO!

There is NOT a wall big enough that will sustain the force at which I want to smash me head agaist it with......

ALOT of you guys are missing the fact that this drop increases the amount of force that can be applied to that area.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #56

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
You guys have fun with your diff drops and hold fast to the belief that it's doing anything other than rotating the differential.

I can only facepalm so much this morning.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #57

Quote:
with that part of the skid giving way, it allowed the arm to take a direct hit from the rock. if a smooth skid was used that wasnt an all pooh (for obvious reasons), it would have deflected the hit and never come in contact w/ the arm like his did
The skid STILL would have given way. The impact was ahead of the diff drop. Energy would STILL be transfered to the diff drop, and the results would/may still be the same. Look at the fulcrum point. There is MUCH more leverage in which force can be applied to that front diff. thus causeing damage.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #58

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It has no negitive side efects.

Quote:
Have you seen the ATO IFS skid in person? You're NOT fucking it up.
Nothing is indestructible, especially when wheeling.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #59

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, now I'm convinced you're just trolling.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The skid STILL would have given way. The impact was ahead of the diff drop. Energy would STILL be transfered to the diff drop, and the results would/may still be the same. Look at the fulcrum point. There is MUCH more leverage in which force can be applied to that front diff. thus causeing damage.
the skid would have taken the blow and the skid would have never hit the arm where mikes did. no energy from the hit would have been exerted on the diff drop. in the edited post you quoted, mike even said that the skid would have deflected the blow if it were smooth. if a smooth skid can pass the blow w/o the DD, a smooth skid covering the DD that has space beterrn the skid and DD would also deflect it.