LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Remove the differential drop on your 05+ Tacoma

Old 10-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Remove the differential drop on your 05+ Tacoma

Grab a beer, pull up a chair, and let your helpful uncle Mike tell you a story.

Once there was a guy who didn't take his own advice and left a differential drop kit on his 2006 Tacoma 4x4. He put lots of time, effort, and cash into modifying his skidplates to work with the kit that he never should have installed, He did it to protect his precious CV boots.

Then he went offroad, after which he could no longer drive his truck. The end.

When told that the diff drop does nothing but pivot the front differential, there are always a pile of people that say "Even if it only helps CV angles just a little, I'm going to use it." They can kiss my ass. (that's probably the beer talking but the sentiment is not that far off )

This is not a debate. Remove those spacers.

My truck looked like this:

Then I hit a rock because the differential mount was sticking too low. My truck then looked like this:

Let's pull that skidplate and see what we've got...

^ Note that the passenger side is no longer lower than it would have been had I left it alone. It's right where it should have been all along.

It got that high by pushing through the cross member.

It didn't just push up either. It pushed backwards, and the differential became intimate with my oil pan.

The bottom end on my engine is playing peek-a-boo:

And to those that swear these things actually help, look at where the dropped mount is relative to where the front axle inserts into the front differential:

Pretty nice looking mount too, huh?

So...how much of a pain is it REALLY to replace a CV boot?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Excuse me while I go remove those POS's. I never really though they did any good and after a BUNCH of posts on what little benefit they have, I'd rather not have to worry about hitting that rock then replacing a CV every year or 2.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I've broken worse. This'll be fixed and made better. It's just frustrating because if it weren't for that $20 kit I most likely would have finished the race.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #5

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Excuse me while I go remove those POS's. I never really though they did any good and after a BUNCH of posts on what little benefit they have, I'd rather not have to worry about hitting that rock then replacing a CV every year or 2.
My jaw hit the ground when I crawled under the truck.

I'll be in touch to discuss some bulletproof armor in the next few months.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
DAM!!. That some damage for some stupid diff drop. Have fun fixing it.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Correct, Mike....err.r....Uncle Mike....??........The "Diff Drops" drop teh FRONT of the diff 1", but the drive shafts go into the diff further back. Lets say that it dropps the point at which the drive shafts enter the diff 1/2" (best case).....That is only about 1* change in the angle of the CV joints. Nothing that will do any good. The side affects however, can be worse. ASide from what Uncle Mike mentioned, vibes can be increased, and if the diff is moved slightly from the installation of this Drop, welp......your gonna get the wobbles....
Old 10-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
if you hit the same rock without the diff drop do you think it would have done the damage? or are you saying that because they were lower is why you hit?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #9

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
if you hit the same rock without the diff drop do you think it would have done the damage? or are you saying that because they were lower is why you hit?
Without the drop the bottom of the truck would have been smooth and I would have slid over the rock. Even if I had gotten caught, the rock would have had less leverage on the bolt and differential and would not have pushed the whole assembly back into the engine.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Just playing devils advocate here...but it seems to me the square boxes on the skid plate were just asking to get hung up on something sooner or later. I wouldn't totally blame it on the spacers, but i get your point...if you didn't have them on then no need to modify the skid plate.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Without the drop the bottom of the truck would have been smooth and I would have slid over the rock. Even if I had gotten caught, the rock would have had less leverage on the bolt and differential and would not have pushed the whole assembly back into the engine.
ok havent looked at mine... those little cut-outs to fit over the diff mounts would be a weak point too...

so the aluminum spacer on the front mount is the diff drop kit?!?!?

Thanks for the tip...i didnt plan on getting one before. am certainly not going to now
Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interested in hearing more about this. I haven't heard any largely damaging issue like this before from a F&R diff drop kit.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #13

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I cut 1/4" off my diff drop to give me more clearance between the skid and the diff. This coupled with the ATO ifs skid and you will never have this problem and your CVs are still not gonna wearout after 15,000 miles.

Garanteed if you had sacrificed a little ground clearance instead of having the little drop downs in the skid you would have been fine also. IMO run a diff drop or shave it down to give more clearance, and run a traditional style skid like the ATO.
from the pics it only rotates the front diff. doesnt look like it lowers the axles any
Old 10-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
holy crap
Old 10-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I've never been sweet on these things.

Mucking with the front driveshaft angle to preserve the CVs seems silly. Replacing CV boots is cheap, if a little messy.

Differentials, driveshafts are not cheap to replace. I suppose U-joints are, but still.

Axle shims make sense. You're restoring factory angles (or close to it). Carrier bearing drops sort of make sense (carrier bearing SHIMS would make more sense). Front diff drop just doesn't compute to me.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #16
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
I would find that rock, douse it in gasoline, catch it on fire. Then put the fire out with a wet brick! Stupid rock.

Seriously though that looks bad, Sorry to hear about that.

And to think i have been debating on getting one of these, just to be on the safe side. I havent had any problems so far, so im not going to get one now.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #17

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
from the pics it only rotates the front diff. doesnt look like it lowers the axles any
^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I've never been sweet on these things.

Mucking with the front driveshaft angle to preserve the CVs seems silly. Replacing CV boots is cheap, if a little messy.

Differentials, driveshafts are not cheap to replace. I suppose U-joints are, but still.

Axle shims make sense. You're restoring factory angles (or close to it). Carrier bearing drops sort of make sense (carrier bearing SHIMS would make more sense). Front diff drop just doesn't compute to me.
^ And this.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #18

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody6047 View Post
I would find that rock, douse it in gasoline, catch it on fire. Then put the fire out with a wet brick! Stupid rock.

Seriously though that looks bad, Sorry to hear about that.

And to think i have been debating on getting one of these, just to be on the safe side. I havent had any problems so far, so im not going to get one now.
Smart man.

It'd be a damn long drive to find that rock. I'll just make sure I drive past it at next year's Primm 300.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #19
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
anyone have the part numbers for the long bolts? it has been awhile. what else needs to be brought back? i only seem to remember the bolts.

what size are they? i may just go get some standard bolts.

thanks.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #20
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
On my comment about not getting one. That would just be one more thing for me to worry about, I have had zero problems without it. So i dont see a reason to get it, really.